Verizon Killing Unlimited Data

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
Oh no....this will be in ADDITION to tiered plans. Make no mistake....

Doesn't make much sense on tiered plans, outside of the unlimited tier. Although, I think they could throttle any d/l's over 25megs in size, and I like that idea and think it's justified. Mostly torrents (which are mostly illegal).

Then again, what's the "tube":) capacity with LTE? Has to be at least 12x just from the throughput alone, but I'm sure it's much more than that because of other advanced tech. So if the network is strained now (in some markets I believe it is), even if the user base doubles and then they double their data consumption, that's still only a 4x increase. Actually, there's probably not a need to cap for at least 2 years

jimmyco2008

Reaction score
Hah I would so be in that 5%.... I used 32GB or so back in December, lately I've only been tethering about 10GB though.

Quicksilver7714

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Hey guys apparently verizon's network is having issues with data speeds due to 'data hogs' according to cnn... so if yur in the top 5% expect yur phones data speed to 'hit the breaks' at peak hours..... verizon said they are not going to let 5% of users slow down the network for the 95%... I like this solution better than tiered plans

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using DroidForums App

While this solution is good, Verizon is calling everyone who uses 2GB or more a month the top 5%. That's just unfair IMO. It should be set to about 4 or 5GB.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

huskur

Reaction score
It would be greatly beneficial to just pay full price for your new device and keep your "unlimited" data.

Personally i do not like caps due to the fact of having to "worry" about how much data i use.

Quicksilver7714

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Hah I would so be in that 5%.... I used 32GB or so back in December, lately I've only been tethering about 10GB though.

How do you use that much data. Torrents?
That's just absurd.

huskur

Reaction score

That's just absurd.

I don't believe it. Thats over 1 GB per day. I would like to hear the justification of what the 32 GB consisted of. Not normal use by any means.

nakhleh926

Reaction score

That's just absurd.

I don't believe it. Thats over 1 GB per day. I would like to hear the justification of what the 32 GB consisted of. Not normal use by any means.

should believe it...I use anywhere from 24-30gb a month without tethering so if he/she was using a computer it's definitely plausible.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
should believe it...I use anywhere from 24-30gb a month without tethering so if he/she was using a computer it's definitely plausible.

I must be tethering wrong. Wireless tether (have never tried pdanet) is awful for me, lucky to get 400kbps. It's way too slow for me to use other than out of necessity (which is really the only reason it should be used). But I suppose some people getting a better signal and getting 2-3X that speed it might be tolerable.

Even then, I did a liitle experiment the other day and only used about 50megs tethering for 1.5 hours why surfing the web, so it seems about the only way to go over 10gigs in a month is torrents, d/ling a bunch of movies, or playing pandora for hours on end every day.

spider210

Reaction score
Hey guys apparently verizon's network is having issues with data speeds due to 'data hogs' according to cnn... so if yur in the top 5% expect yur phones data speed to 'hit the breaks' at peak hours..... verizon said they are not going to let 5% of users slow down the network for the 95%... I like this solution better than tiered plans

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using DroidForums App

Definitely not due to the data hogs or speeds, its a business structure. If average droid users are using 1gb and you are using 30gb+ , same thing happens with cable when everyones on at the same time everyone bogged down. the only difference here is you with the high usage is going to be bogged down...

Personnally I am going to be very disappointed when the unlimited data disappears as I use about 10gb a month. I do a lot of web browsing and atleast a couple hours a day of streaming music. Driving I stream music even more using bluetooth over my stereo. I am glad that there is the unlimited right now with the launch of the iphone but it won't last forever. Atleast the people that do get it will be grandfatherd in.

I do hope that atleast a few 4G devices launch before they remove the unlimited data. 4G speeds with unlimited data will be the future!

t.crawford714

Reaction score
If VZW or when it does drop it, I'm also dropping my DX. Sad but true. I'll go back to a non-smart phone like I used to deal with. I call shinanigans...

motormadness

Reaction score
This is for modems not phones. Verizon hasn't even announced the phone pricing yet.

Fuzzball

Reaction score
just how do you go about getting to 27 1/2 gigs without tethering?

That's just absurd.

Easy: Streaming Media

Listening to a 96kbps stream for 82 hours in a month comes to about 27 gigs. That's a crappy two hour commute each way to and from work. The company I work for doesn't allow streaming media through the corporate network (for reasons out of the scope of this thread) and an individual may turn to their phone to stream internet radio or even use Subsonic to stream their music library from home. If some of the theories about Google's upcoming music service comes true, that can easily let someone burn through 10s of gigs of data per month as well.

If all one does on their smartphone is check e-mail, check the weather, and play Angry Birds, hitting a gig can be hard. Web content is getting richer everyday and comes out to increasing data usage. Some web pages have content that are easily over a meg in size; we don't notice it since it can be downloaded in a few seconds vs. a few minutes on dial-up.

EDIT: This post is under the assumption that VZW is measuring in bits. If they're measuring in in Bytes, as some have pointed out, then I agree it's difficult within the TOS, however not completely impossible.

Last edited: