Verizon Killing Unlimited Data

UrbanBounca

Rescue Squad
Staff member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Verizon Communications Inc. chief operating officer Lowell McAdam confirmed Tuesday that its $30 unlimited data plan will remain in place for the launch of iPhone sales.

But he also said this is a temporary situation that has more to do with competitive positioning to lure existing U.S. owners of the Apple Inc. devices to Verizon Wireless.

A number of iPhone users now have grandfathered plans with AT&T Inc. (NYSE:T) that offer unlimited data use. AT&T stopped offering the plans last year on the iPhone, saying it was concerned that its network couldn't handle the increased data loads of the iPhone.

McAdam promised in a conference call with analysts Tuesday that Verizon's Feb. 10 iPhone launch will go smoothly and that he is confident its network can handle the expected increased data loads.

He reiterated, however, that the company will move to tiered data plans in the future.
Verizon: Unlimited data plans temporary | Sacramento Business Journal

Skull One

Reaction score
Lure them in with a great deal and then change it next contract.

Somethings never change.

Mortiel

Reaction score
I did see something regarding this a few days ago... I wish I knew exactly which direction the data plans will go. Internally, we make jokes about AT&T's 2 GB data plan... Why do we have to follow their lead? Consumer Reports rated them the worst wireless provider in 2010..

Device: Samsung SCH-I400 Continuum

RUSHgsxr

Reaction score
Just like at&t did it anyone who already has unlimited data will pry get to keep it so I'm good.

Sent from my ADR6300

OP
UrbanBounca

UrbanBounca

Rescue Squad
Staff member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
They can't force you into anything other than unlimited, if you currently have unlimited. However, when you want a new phone and new contract, expect the increase.

I really hope VZW can figure something out to benefit the consumer. I don't have the money to put more than I currently do toward a phone. If I'm forced into more, I'll probably end up on prepay without data at all.

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
"limited" plans might mean nothing for 95% of users.

2gigs could be iffy, especially going forward, but truth be told for most there is no effective difference between a 5gig plan and an unlimited plan.

I don't know, to me it only makes sense to start pricing the plans like home broadband (which LTE is, arguably, a viable competitor). They could offer 3-4 different tiers of data allowances (i.e. 200megs, 2gigs, 5 gigs, 10 gigs and/or unlimited) and then 3 tiers of speed (1mbps like 3G, 3mbps, and full LTE).

That is how you optimize revenues and appeal to the largest segment of consumers. Of course, what I listed is only a guess but they have the analytics and the research. Mainly, you just don't want too many dropping down to a lower price plan and costing you revenue. From VZW perspective, they'll offer faster speeds for the same price and when people whine about 2gigs or whatever they'll point out that 90% of users don't go over that.

e911

Reaction score
I switched from blackberry to droid and I was told by many sales reps I made the smart choice because they said to expect by march or april that unlimited plans would be going away.

Given that I use my phone very heavy I need the unlimited plans. Just like the tethering plans they went from 5gb down to 2gb and they increased the cost. Sadly I think vzw is moving the way of att, get as much money they can from us.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App

jbdow

Reaction score
I'm just thankful these providers have no more power than what i allow
them to have. As of now i have unlimited-which they can't take away
and keep me...they can even tell me they don't care. guess what. In
today's unfortunate world he who cares the least wins. I can go to
metro pcs and survive. or my phone before my d2g... a greyscale
tracphone. so good to be flexible and not needy...

r, john

RUSHgsxr

Reaction score
They can't force you into anything other than unlimited, if you currently have unlimited. However, when you want a new phone and new contract, expect the increase.

The way at&t did it is you had the.plan you have it as long as you want it. So my understanding is even if you sign a new contract you still have it as long as your not changing your plan.

Sent from my ADR6300

Droid DOES!!

What iDoesn't
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Correct! We have Verizon customers with Verizon Mobile Broadband equipment, but Alltel ($59.99 unlimited) rate plans. An upgrade doesn't stipulate a plan change.

The way at&t did it is you had the.plan you have it as long as you want it. So my understanding is even if you sign a new contract you still have it as long as your not changing your plan.

Sent from my ADR6300

DroidForums Junkie!!

rebaf

Reaction score
odd, i just got off the phone with a rep a few days ago after doing a survey; i had commented if they follow at and t on the smart phone data cap im done with them.

he told me they were keeping unlimited data on smartphones as they have a different set up then at and t and their infrastructure can handle it.

eh....oh well....

OP
UrbanBounca

UrbanBounca

Rescue Squad
Staff member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Correct! We have Verizon customers with Verizon Mobile Broadband equipment, but Alltel ($59.99 unlimited) rate plans. An upgrade doesn't stipulate a plan change.

DroidForums Junkie!!

It could stipulate a plan change, but it's up to VZW in the end.

czerdrill

Silver Member
Reaction score

Sent from my ADR6300

DroidForums Junkie!!

Not necessarily though. sure they can't force you mid contract, but once you're up for renewal they can definitely change it if they want.

RVdroid

Reaction score
I just got my d2g from VZW last week and got an unlimited plan. While I was in the store I overheard another rep speaking to a customer telling him that he had a 2gig cap or maybe that's what it will soon be, or maybe he still has some outdated plan, I don't know. That's all I caught of the conversation but the customer didn't look happy. I guess I'm good for two years. I'm not too worried though, it seems like everywhere I go there's some fool with an open network I can access so I'm almost always running off of Wi-Fi.

e911

Reaction score
I just got my d2g from VZW last week and got an unlimited plan. While I was in the store I overheard another rep speaking to a customer telling him that he had a 2gig cap or maybe that's what it will soon be, or maybe he still has some outdated plan, I don't know. That's all I caught of the conversation but the customer didn't look happy. I guess I'm good for two years. I'm not too worried though, it seems like everywhere I go there's some fool with an open network I can access so I'm almost always running off of Wi-Fi.

From what the telesales person told me, the only way to get any 5gb or higher plans are to:

1) get a 4g air card
2) get a blackberry

they will not be offering 5gb tethering to any other phone or device except for those two.. so.. kinda :icon_evil: about giving up my kick butt plan to go into this droid :-/