Verizon Killing Unlimited Data

Discussion in 'Droid Forums Member News Depot' started by UrbanBounca, Jan 27, 2011.

1. UrbanBounca

UrbanBounca Rescue Squad Staff Member Rescue Squad Premium Member

Verizon: Unlimited data plans temporary | Sacramento Business Journal
  2. Skull One

Skull One New Member

Lure them in with a great deal and then change it next contract.

Somethings never change.
  3. Mortiel

Mortiel New Member

I did see something regarding this a few days ago... I wish I knew exactly which direction the data plans will go. Internally, we make jokes about AT&T's 2 GB data plan... Why do we have to follow their lead? Consumer Reports rated them the worst wireless provider in 2010..

Device: Samsung SCH-I400 Continuum
  4. RUSHgsxr

RUSHgsxr New Member

Just like at&t did it anyone who already has unlimited data will pry get to keep it so I'm good.

Sent from my ADR6300
  5. UrbanBounca

They can't force you into anything other than unlimited, if you currently have unlimited. However, when you want a new phone and new contract, expect the increase.

I really hope VZW can figure something out to benefit the consumer. I don't have the money to put more than I currently do toward a phone. If I'm forced into more, I'll probably end up on prepay without data at all.
  6. kodiak799

kodiak799 Well-Known Member

"limited" plans might mean nothing for 95% of users.

2gigs could be iffy, especially going forward, but truth be told for most there is no effective difference between a 5gig plan and an unlimited plan.

I don't know, to me it only makes sense to start pricing the plans like home broadband (which LTE is, arguably, a viable competitor). They could offer 3-4 different tiers of data allowances (i.e. 200megs, 2gigs, 5 gigs, 10 gigs and/or unlimited) and then 3 tiers of speed (1mbps like 3G, 3mbps, and full LTE).

That is how you optimize revenues and appeal to the largest segment of consumers. Of course, what I listed is only a guess but they have the analytics and the research. Mainly, you just don't want too many dropping down to a lower price plan and costing you revenue. From VZW perspective, they'll offer faster speeds for the same price and when people whine about 2gigs or whatever they'll point out that 90% of users don't go over that.
  7. e911

e911 New Member

I switched from blackberry to droid and I was told by many sales reps I made the smart choice because they said to expect by march or april that unlimited plans would be going away.

Given that I use my phone very heavy I need the unlimited plans. Just like the tethering plans they went from 5gb down to 2gb and they increased the cost. Sadly I think vzw is moving the way of att, get as much money they can from us.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App
  8. jbdow

jbdow New Member

I'm just thankful these providers have no more power than what i allow
    them to have. As of now i have unlimited-which they can't take away
    and keep me...they can even tell me they don't care. guess what. In
    today's unfortunate world he who cares the least wins. I can go to
    metro pcs and survive. or my phone before my d2g... a greyscale
    tracphone. so good to be flexible and not needy...

r, john
  9. RUSHgsxr

RUSHgsxr New Member

The way at&t did it is you had the.plan you have it as long as you want it. So my understanding is even if you sign a new contract you still have it as long as your not changing your plan.

Sent from my ADR6300
  10. Droid DOES!!

Droid DOES!! What iDoesn't Theme Developer Premium Member

Correct! We have Verizon customers with Verizon Mobile Broadband equipment, but Alltel ($59.99 unlimited) rate plans. An upgrade doesn't stipulate a plan change.

DroidForums Junkie!!
  11. rebaf

rebaf New Member

odd, i just got off the phone with a rep a few days ago after doing a survey; i had commented if they follow at and t on the smart phone data cap im done with them.

he told me they were keeping unlimited data on smartphones as they have a different set up then at and t and their infrastructure can handle it.

eh....oh well....
  12. UrbanBounca

It could stipulate a plan change, but it's up to VZW in the end.
  13. czerdrill

czerdrill New Member

Not necessarily though. sure they can't force you mid contract, but once you're up for renewal they can definitely change it if they want.
  14. RVdroid

RVdroid New Member

I just got my d2g from VZW last week and got an unlimited plan. While I was in the store I overheard another rep speaking to a customer telling him that he had a 2gig cap or maybe that's what it will soon be, or maybe he still has some outdated plan, I don't know. That's all I caught of the conversation but the customer didn't look happy. I guess I'm good for two years. I'm not too worried though, it seems like everywhere I go there's some fool with an open network I can access so I'm almost always running off of Wi-Fi.
  15. e911

e911 New Member

From what the telesales person told me, the only way to get any 5gb or higher plans are to:

1) get a 4g air card
    2) get a blackberry

they will not be offering 5gb tethering to any other phone or device except for those two.. so.. kinda :icon_evil: about giving up my kick butt plan to go into this droid :-/
  16. RVdroid

RVdroid New Member

That would be awful if you had to deny yourself of your droid. You will survive but still.....
    I don't understand why they would support larger data plans for blackberry over androids, unless it's because in popular opinion blackberrys are more "buisness oriented".

I'm in NC, we're not going to get 4g until sept. > jan. from what I was told.
    Is it too much to ask for providers to do preemptive upgrades to their network so that when they advertise a product you can actually get it?
    I realize that it's some pretty serious work to upgrade every sub-network in the US but it's kind of frustrating.
  17. kodiak799

kodiak799 Well-Known Member

That's what is so interesting about the Atrix - it's a game changer. That is NOT tethering when docked to the dumb laptop. I'd have to imagine a similar set-up with a tablet dock is not far behind.

Probably won't matter much to VZW is they have capped LTE, but if they do offer an unlimited plan I suspect they may curiously not offer phones with capability like the Atrix. Or they will charge a ridiculous premium for those accessories. Lots of ways they can get you.

Of course, to the extent these HDMI ports are pretty standard, lots of 3rd party accessories could pop-up that would be compatible with smartphones like the Atrix. So you don't need data for your laptop or tablet, you just plug your phone in and your only limited by your data cap on the smartphone.
  18. Mortiel

Mortiel New Member

That 2 GB cap is referring to the Mobile Hotspot/Tethering feature for smartphones (NOT to be confused with normal mobile broadband with a MiFi, Five Spot, or USB modem). The $29.99 unlimited data feature is still unlimited as far as I have read as of today... And I work for Verizon.

I do not know if that will change, but its that way now.

19. Mortiel

Mortiel New Member

This is true... they get you with the upgrade. If you want a current or more advanced mobile internet device, you have to upgrade to a current plan. Its that way with any legacy Verizon or Alltel plans.

However, to anyone out there with that Alltel $59.99 unlimited data broadband or the Nationwide Freedom plan, keep it! If you want a new device, start a new line before you get rid of that plan!

20. RVdroid

RVdroid New Member

Ahh..Good to know. It's been in the back of mind trying to figure out what they were talking about.
    Thanks Mortiel.
Search tags for this page

hotspot app for my straighttalkphone

how to turn your samsung galaxy s3 into a wifi hotspot from straight talk

straight talk phone wifi hotspot app