Verizon's Galaxy Nexus software update will adjust signal strength indicator.

cereal killer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nokia Lumia Icon
images

Let's mark this one up as a strange way to handle an ongoing problem that a lot of users have been reporting with Verizon's Galaxy Nexus. The connectivity issues that have been a hot topic since the Galaxy Nexus was released on December 15th, are now being addressed by Verizon themselves and you may find yourself a little surprised.

In a statement made to ComputerWorld Magazine by VZW Spokeperson Brenda Raney, the upcoming software update is going to simply adjust the signal strength indicator. According to Raney's
email “there is no issue with the performance of the device” and further stated that the Galaxy Nexus software update “will adjust the signal strength indicator to more closely match other Verizon Wireless devices.

We don't know how this is going to fly with the users who are plaqued by connectivity issues but from the looks of it Verizon does not see this as an issue other than the signal strength indicator needs to be "adjusted." Is there a problem being swept under the rug or is there in fact no problem at all other than an incorrect indicator reading reported by AnandTech?

Your thoughts?

Source: Computer World

kuuler

Reaction score
This could potentially be a valid fix if the software is basing it's connectivity on the bars being present. For example, if the software thinks it should switch from 4G to 3G because there is less than 1 bar of signal strength, but the signal is actually still good enough to hang on to 4G.

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
I constantly get 3-4 bars, I expect the same after this update.

Really sounds like Verizon is trying to "sweep this under the rug" to me though.

bsmith0731

Reaction score
images

Let's mark this one up as a strange way to handle an ongoing problem that a lot of users have been reporting with Verizon's Galaxy Nexus. The connectivity issues that have been a hot topic since the Galaxy Nexus was released on December 15th are now being addressed by Verizon themselves and you may find yourself a little surprised.

In a statement made to ComputerWorld Magazine by VZW Spokeperson Brenda Raney, the upcoming software update is going to simply adjust the signal strength indicator. According to Raney's
email “there is no issue with the performance of the device” and further stated that the Galaxy Nexus software update “will adjust the signal strength indicator to more closely match other Verizon Wireless devices.”

We don't know how this is going to fly with the users who are plaqued by connectivity issues but from the looks of it Verizon does not see this as an issue other than the signal strength indicator needs to be "adjusted." Is there a problem being swept under the rug or is there in fact no problem at all other than an incorrect indicator reading reported by AnandTech?

Your thoughts?

Source: Computer World

Well I must have a bad device. Cause there are times I don't get any data in a place that I didn't have issues with getting data before.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using DroidForums

UrbanBounca

Rescue Squad
Staff member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I constantly get 3-4 bars, I expect the same after this update.

Really sounds like Verizon is trying to "sweep this under the rug" to me though.

There is no doubt that's what they're trying to do. However, I do also think that a lot of people on the forum are a bit harsh when it comes to PCS functionality. If you're on your phone constantly, like a lot of people around here, you would notice these things. However, with normal use, you probably wouldn't.

Stelv

Silver Member
Reaction score
Yea, but people payed top dollar for this device. It should have as good a connection as the Rezound or my Bionic (after the update). It doesn't matter if the general public doesn't notice...and they will anyways if one of their friends has a Rezound for example and they see how much better the data connectivity is.

1quickv6

Reaction score
Yea, but people payed top dollar for this device. It should have as good a connection as the Rezound or my Bionic (after the update). It doesn't matter if the general public doesn't notice...and they will anyways if one of their friends has a Rezound for example and they see how much better the data connectivity is.

That's my biggest complaint. I can sit my phone next to my wife's Rezound and have a +20 or more difference between the two. Just last night in our bedroom, I had +120 dBm and 99 asu and she had +86 dBm and 45 asu. :icon_evil:

lffisher

Reaction score
Sometimes I have a data connection, then I make a phone call (which of course turns off the data connection), and when the phone calls ends the data connection does NOT come back. The bars stay gray. If I reboot the phone, then it connects again and the bars are blue.

I've noticed the same thing when I turn on wifi. I have 3G, switch to wifi for use in my house, then I plan to leave the house so I turn wifi off. The 3G does NOT come back. I have to reboot the phone.

Doesn't happen all the time, just sometimes...

OneTenderRebel

Silver Member
Reaction score
So VZW is going to tell me when I used to have 3g everywhere in my house and now I am lucky to connect and even get .5mbs download speeds that the reason is because the signal indicator is wrong? Yeah not buying it......

sc0rch3d

Reaction score
This could potentially be a valid fix if the software is basing it's connectivity on the bars being present. For example, if the software thinks it should switch from 4G to 3G because there is less than 1 bar of signal strength, but the signal is actually still good enough to hang on to 4G.

this was my thought as well. in my area, sometimes i have less 4G bars than 3G, but if the 4G hangs on, then the speeds are far above 3G. I still have a ticket out with Tier3...need to check on it this morning. :)

Sweettooth

Reaction score
So then I'm curious what they're next course of action is when I have full bars of 4G and get no connectivity? Oops? Wonk wonk wonk....

I'm curious about what kuuler said, and if that's the case, then cool, although that's a pretty sketchy design to have hardware performance based off of software. That's like newer cars that tell you how many miles you have left before empty. You can hit zero and still be fine, but what if the car just shut down once it hit zero? Instrumentation should dictate real world performance in nuclear reactors, but not phones.

techinv

Reaction score
I guess you can count me as comfortable with this change. I'm in NYC, so I haven't seen too many problems getting 4G when I ask for it, and the switchover from Wifi to 3G to 4G seems to work ok on my GNEX. I also get better response, signal wise, to 3G than I got with my prior device in the same locations, although the meter doesn't always show it.

rjsurfer

Reaction score
Shouldn't there be a standard that all manufacturers should abide to?

I mean a direct relationship between Db and the number of bars presented on the display?

This way 3 bars mean -80Db to -95Db etc.....

Ron W.

GeLopez

Reaction score
i will also agree that this update will fix my nexus, i do not have a loss of service but i do only have 1-2 bars of 4g.

so the question is when?

Stelv

Silver Member
Reaction score
This is like Deja vu for me. Same thing happened with the Fascinates radio. We all waited months and months and months for a software fix and when it came it didn't fix anything. I believe the radio hardware was just bad in that device. With the Bionic it was actually fixed for a lot of people with a software update, which took less than 2 months to arrive. I have zero connection issues with the Bionic now, the signal is quite strong.

Samsung is a very untrustworthy company in my opinion. I hope they don't promise you fixes for months that never come and that they used better radio hardware in the GNex.

*Here is an interesting article about Samsung and CDMA technology http://www.droid-life.com/2011/07/0...-on-negotiations-with-samsung-over-galaxy-s2/