Verizon's Galaxy Nexus software update will adjust signal strength indicator.

Big Ry

Reaction score
Yes!

When I'm at work, the signal strength alternates between -120dBm 99asu and -100dBm 1asu.

This causes my battery to drain rapidly. And my pocket gets really warm to let me know my phone is sucking the battery dry.

If I didn't keep my phone plugged in at work, I wouldn't make it through half the workday without my phone going dead.

That is a problem.

Mine frequently hovers around there (like any place in my apartment), and I don't get those battery drains or terrible signal issues. You should check for a rogue app.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

Big Ry

Reaction score
Is Blacksburg covered with 4G or is it just Roanoke?

I was surprised to find out that Blacksburg DOES have 4G despite not being listed :D the signal strength and data speeds are WAAAAY better on campus than even a mile off campus though...its weird. Its like VT got their own tower lol

donutz

Reaction score
Mine frequently hovers around there (like any place in my apartment), and I don't get those battery drains or terrible signal issues. You should check for a rogue app.

At home I don't get battery drains or terrible signals (not great signals, but not terrible). So unless there's a rogue app that only runs when I'm at work, I've got no reason to blame anything but signal.

Big Ry

Reaction score
At home I don't get battery drains or terrible signals (not great signals, but not terrible). So unless there's a rogue app that only runs when I'm at work, I've got no reason to blame anything but signal.
Could be something with GPS or wifi, or it could be signal strength. I've just never had issues like you describe and I'm typically closer to the -120 dBm range in my apartment. But I suppose every phone could act different. I just wouldn't necessarily rule out apps so quickly, especially when the phones heating up.

sc0rch3d

Reaction score
Could be something with GPS or wifi, or it could be signal strength. I've just never had issues like you describe and I'm typically closer to the -120 dBm range in my apartment. But I suppose every phone could act different. I just wouldn't necessarily rule out apps so quickly, especially when the phones heating up.

at work I get about -120dbm and home is about -75 dbm (houston, tx). if i'm at home over the weekend or out and about...i get easily 24+ hours of battery life. at work...i'll be lucky to make it through 8 hours before needing a charger. Recently, our company put in a "guest" WIFI network that allows non-corporate devices to get internet access. Now, i can easily make it through at least a whole day (~18 hours) in and out of work without the charger as long as i remember to connect when i get in the office.

the point to my story - it appears the "obsessive nature" of VZW phones (and cdma technology) needing data connection is the culprit to the battery drain. my coworkers on ATT never have battery issues in my building.

Josefius

Reaction score

Let's mark this one up as a strange way to handle an ongoing problem that a lot of users have been reporting with Verizon's Galaxy Nexus. The connectivity issues that have been a hot topic since the Galaxy Nexus was released on December 15th, are now being addressed by Verizon themselves and you may find yourself a little surprised.

In a statement made to ComputerWorld Magazine by VZW Spokeperson Brenda Raney, the upcoming software update is going to simply adjust the signal strength indicator. According to Raney's
email “there is no issue with the performance of the device” and further stated that the Galaxy Nexus software update “will adjust the signal strength indicator to more closely match other Verizon Wireless devices.

We don't know how this is going to fly with the users who are plaqued by connectivity issues but from the looks of it Verizon does not see this as an issue other than the signal strength indicator needs to be "adjusted." Is there a problem being swept under the rug or is there in fact no problem at all other than an incorrect indicator reading reported by AnandTech?

Your thoughts?

Source: Computer World

Will we get the other fixes that are with 4.0.4? Cause this sort of reads "Update will only change signal strength bar". :)