Verizon vs. AT&T Shared Data Plans Compared at a Glance

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
vzw-vs-att-data-plan-chart.png

Some folks over at Phonearena created a handy comparison chart showcasing the differences between the Verizon and AT&T shared data plans (shown in the chart above). For the most part, they seem fairly even, although in some cases (depending on the number of devices) one or the other is cheaper. The main difference comes with the type of devices that you use on your plan, since AT&T charges the same for tablets as they do for their phones, whereas Verizon only charges an additional $10 bucks per month for each tablet. Here's a quote with some more info,

If you have tablets, mobile hotspots and basic phones, chances are you’d want to go with Verizon as the additional fee for them is lower than the standard $40 for smartphones. For each feature phone you’d need to add $30 a month, for hotspots $20 and for tablets only $10. AT&T in contrast has the same fee regardless of the device.

On the other hand, if you really want to use a lot of data, AT&T seems like the only option for the moment as it delivers 15 gigs and 20GB monthly, while Verizon - at least officially - stops at 10GB. Overage fees are set at $15 per GB on both carriers and both carriers include tethering for free.

Source: Phonearena

justin82

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
pretty comparable i think i will stick with VZW, handy chart though

War_Machine

Reaction score
That's a well made chart, even though I already made the decision to switch to verizon :icon_ rocker:

xsylus

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Sony Xperia XA2 Ultra H4233
At Sprint we're supposed to point out how much more our customers are getting for the price compared to the competition but in many cases the customers just hear, "we're ripping you off but less than the competition."

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
At least AT&T customers get to keep their unlimited data even when they upgrade. Let's see if VZW counters that by offering the same, it would definitely make a majority of us (though we are a small community) quite happy.

npro1464

Reaction score
Yeah, but AT&T throttles their unlimited data users after 2 GBs. I look at this and think, "How is this not collusion?" The prices are so similar. AT&T comes out only $5 cheaper in most cases.

I don't know why anyone would choose either of these plans going forward, when such cheaper options are available via pre-paid companies. Then again, I told my parents I plan on leaving their plan and going with a pre-paid Nexus, and they said, "You're going to spend $350 on a phone?!" :icon_rolleyes:

jseah

Reaction score
It's only collusion if Verizon and AT&T met, discussed, and came to an agreement how to price the shared data. If Verizon came up with the pricing on their own, and AT&T simply copied them, then that isn't collusion.