AT&T Announces its Shared Data Plans; Isn't Forcing it On Its Customers Though (Yet)

Discussion in 'Android News' started by dgstorm, Jul 18, 2012.

1. dgstorm

dgstorm Editor in Chief Staff Member Premium Member

[​IMG]

This is a rare statement and one that will likely change in the future, but Verizon could actually learn something about customer service from AT&T right now. AT&T just launched their shared data plans and although they are fairly similar to Verizon's plans, AT&T isn't forcing them down their customer's throats (yet), and are still continuing to offer their earlier plans alongside them. Hmmm.... what a novel idea. Give your customers options.

Here is a quick breakdown of their plans followed by a the full press release,

[​IMG]

2. MissionImprobable

MissionImprobable Well-Known Member

I think we'd be pretending if we didn't look at this as step one of a likely move to this being the only data provision offered by AT&T as well, though.
  3. jstafford1

jstafford1 DF Super Moderator Rescue Squad

I like the step down in adding a device the higher the plan. A little better than VZWs flat $40 per line. Still wont switch any time soon. VZW is the only carrier with good service around me.

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk 2
  4. justin82

justin82 DF Super Moderator Staff Member Premium Member

i think i will keep my unlimited until they make me change . just buy phones off ebay that are 6months old or so .
  5. SwiftLegend

SwiftLegend New Member

Well if I did the math correct, then for someone like me ( 3 smartphones on the line, 10 GB), it will cost $20 more on Verizon. $230 vs. $210...If I have to switch to it, I'd rather give Verizon the extra $20 for the reliable service and LTE..
  6. cybertec69

cybertec69 Well-Known Member

This is for all the screamers that said, I will take my business to AT&T, well here you go, it was just a matter of time, people seem to forget that it was AT&T who where the first to mention tiered plans, before Verizon beat them to it, it's the way of the future people, Sprint will go the same route, once they figure out the cost of building their LTE network.
    Go read the business news in regards to LTE build outs and the costs it is mounting on all these carriers "they are all crediting their future", most of them are in the RED.
  7. nikecar

nikecar New Member

Isn't smartphones on VZW $40? and the 10GB is $100. So that would be $100+$120($40x3)=$220.

They just slap you with higher data charge, but lower the device fee.

If you wanted 20GB with Verizon, it be $150 as its $100 for 10GB and then $10 per each 2GB increase.
  8. johnomaz

johnomaz Well-Known Member

I just got rid of Unlimited on Verizon to switch to AT&T. Their LTE service in Modesto, CA is pure rubbish. I have wifi everywhere and averaged 300-500 megs a month on the data plan. Plus on HSPA for ATT where I'm at, I am pulling 10Mbps down and 2Mbps up. More than fast enough for every day use when I'm not on wifi. I was actually shocked at the HSPA speed I got. I didn't think it was that fast.
  9. dgstorm

dgstorm Editor in Chief Staff Member Premium Member

Too true, sadly.
  10. 94lt1

94lt1 DF Super Moderator Staff Member Premium Member

You can get a 30 gig plan for 200$ on vzw too. Wait for a double your data promotion though... if they do those any more :)

DROID RAZR MAXXIMIZED!!!! PREPARE TO BE VANQUISHED!!!
  11. SwiftLegend

SwiftLegend New Member

Right, forgot I calculated my mom's basic phone in the Verizon cost.
  12. War_Machine

War_Machine New Member

I'm on AT&T now with 2 iphones and pay $140 with an employer discount. I'll be switching to verizon where I can save about $20 even with a 4GB plan. I am grandfathered in to the unlimited data but I barely use half a gig myself since I have wifi at work and home. My wife uses more data than I do so i'm still making out better. Oh yeah did I mention the Galaxy S3 is my choice once i switch over. I'm excited about that phone and converting to the darkside of the mobile os force.
  13. IN AWE

IN AWE Member

AT&T Share Plan
    $ 105.00 3 smartphones
    $ 30.00 1 dumb phone
    $ 90.00 6 gb data plan
    $ 225.00 total (plus tax, fees, and insurance)

Still not working for me. Losing the unlimited data is not the end of the world, but losing the $20 discount on my three lines is.
  14. Danielsan

Danielsan New Member

Working in the industry and being familiar with VZW's plans, you DO NOT have to switch to the Share Everything plan. OP, please stop getting this confused with having to switch to metered data, that's a different story.

Here's an example:

...on a Nationwide Family Share plan, user A has unlimited data at 29.99/mo, user B has the same. User B upgrades to a GS3 and is forced to change to 2g 30/mo, sure, user A can KEEP their Unlimited 29.99/mo data plans and NOT be forced into Share Everything.
  15. jseah

jseah New Member

The big difference is that with at&t, a new customer can opt for either the Share plan or an existing plan. With Verizon, new customers can only get share everything.
  16. jackiescivic

jackiescivic Well-Known Member

Ding ding ding, we have a winner! (from one industry employee to another lol)
  17. MissionImprobable

MissionImprobable Well-Known Member

I'm still lost as to what these $35/40 per month "smartphone" fees are. VZ tries to claim that it is to offer clinics and what not to customers, but one, I've never seen anything like that offered, and two, for $40 a month you'd better come to my house and make some magic happen anytime I have an issue on my device. Insanity.
  18. nikecar

nikecar New Member

they are for the Board's yearly bonuses. $20M is alot of $40 a month fees they need to recoup.
  19. Danielsan

Danielsan New Member

False, a new customer can still opt to take advantage of the preexisting Nationwide plans -- but why would you want to? VZW made it so Share Everything will almost always be cheaper or match the price for multiple smart phones than the previous Nationwide plans.
  20. jackiescivic

jackiescivic Well-Known Member

Not true. 1gb on Verizon is $90, and 1gb on at&t is $85. For *most* people, the old plans save them more money than the Share plans. But then again most people that I deal with on a daily basis still have at least one basic phone on the account. I can count on one hand how many people have saved money by switching to share plans, on either company