Verizon note 3 root. yes or no

pheonixxx1987

Reaction score
OK I'm about sick of this complete bs about Verizon being the last carrier to receive the update. Word is that they "don't want competition between the s5 and n3". Sounds like an attempt to push the s5 to me. So I'm thinking hard about rooting again. Kinda miss cyanogen mod anyway. I'm aware of knox and in light of that wondering how long the warranty is on this device is anyway. Also rather fed up with touchwiz. 3mbs of ram and with nothing running has 1.6mbs available. I love the device but between bloatware and Verizon failing to keep it current I'd like to take matters into my own hands. What are the drawbacks of rooting and running cm on the n3? I've read about sd card issues with 4.4 but does that only apply to the official version? Is there any way around knox? I'm on the current build mje I belive it is. Sorry for the mild rant. Talking to the idiots at customer service has a way of putting one on edge. Thanks in advance.

bkdodger

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 10+
I'm hearing May for the KK update to the N3. ..currently there are no AOSP ROMS for the retail N3. . Locked bootloader means no CM Rom. .. There are a few good choices for 4.3 roms out and rooted with Xposed mods are good options ...kingo root will be the way to root phone. . I'm running Baja ROM. .solid with themes and stuff. .

N3 tap

bkdodger

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 10+
OP
P

pheonixxx1987

Reaction score
Wow. Surprised to hear no cm for n3. Saw hashtag had safestrap running well on n3 in another forum. As much as cm has impressed me in the past I really figured they had a good, stable 4.4 up and running

bkdodger

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 10+
Yes SS is what we got running. ...3.65 is the stable version. . I've not seen any 4.4 ported yet for Verizon. .. but once we get update then it's on for the developers. . Lol

N3 tap

OP
P

pheonixxx1987

Reaction score
Thanks I'll be read into the links more. This n3 is my first smartphone that's not a Motorola. Also my first unrooted device. So, so many times I've went to delete something not needed that was asking to update and had to say "oh...yea that's right, can't get rid of that lol. I'm not sure if I regret backing away from rooting and roms or regret knowing the joy of it in the first place lmao.

Abe21599

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
with safestrap you wont have any real AOSP builds, since the bootloader is still locked..

bkdodger

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 10+
I ran unrooted for 3 months. .. longest ever and it was good but just went back this weekend. .appreciate it even more with all the options .. you will be like why didn't I do it earlier lol

N3 tap

KaChow

Reaction score
with safestrap you wont have any real AOSP builds, since the bootloader is still locked..

I agree 100%. It's a real shame. I switched over to Samsung for the Development community and it just so happens this is my first ever locked device :mad:, ever, purchasing a Dev Edition is not much of motivator when there is such an even smaller community, I mean there is only two Ported Roms in the Dev Edition Verizon Note 3 section and that is only because the other Rom is CM11 for the Dev edition only. Besides from what I'm seeing the Vzw S5 community is struggling right now as it is anyhow and any rate I can imagine the Note 4 will be just as difficult if not more complex. I'm either jumping carriers or going to the LG G3, I really wanted the LG2 last year but thought Samsung had greater footprint, if the LG3 unlocks anything like the existing LG2 that device will be unstoppable on any network. :biggrin:

k1ngr4t

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Z Force
Well personally I think rooting is great. It's easy to do and easy to undo. I actually have several apps that have features that require root, and those features are usually worth it.

I'm sure it's only a matter of time till there's a good KK Rom available. And tbh I haven't been hearing great things about 4.4 anyways so I'm not in a particular rush to get it. And if it is better, well my N3 is great as it is so it'll make it that much more exciting.

But these days, I think root is always worth it. The ONLY downside is you might brick your phone. But these 1 click methods are so simple now, considering all the other benefits, I don't see why not! It also helps you appreciate Android that much more...

mystik1

Reaction score
I have tried everything. I don't know if it is because of my attempts in the past when root first came out for the phone or what, but nothing seems to work to root for me. What are all you guys using? I even tried Kingo. It connects and does all the work until the very end, and then says "Root Failed! NotSupport". Great... I am most anxious to get going with the KitKat leak, but I can't use SafeStrap until I get rooted, of course. KitKat actually has one feature I have been waiting for quite a long time.

OP
P

pheonixxx1987

Reaction score
I used kingo. Had the same problem. I had to download an older version of kingo and it worked the first time.