Verizon gearing up for Droid X Froyo Release?

Juicemane

Bang Bang
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com
There was a leak of an intended release of android 2.2 for early December I haven't seen anything that's official as of yet. Since I've only had my Droid X for a little more than a week I don't intend to download and install the unofficial release floating around the Internet just yet.

Dec? no...

It will be out soon enough, they said end of summer so I assume anytime in the coming months it will be here. If it takes them until December to push on 2.2 I'm going to kick someone in the face.

IIGood

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S6
So this morning at around 4:15, I was woken up by our cat...she usually scratches and meows at the sheets when she wants to be fed, but that normally isn't until between 5-6 am each day. Sucks cuz I gotta get up, feed her, then back to bed for another hour and a half or so.

ANYWAY...when I got up this morning to feed her I saw that my Droid X was frozen at the red eye during boot. Seemed a little creepy to be greeted by the big red eye at 4:15 in the morning. I did wonder if 2.2 was getting "quietly" pushed but once I power-cycled the phone, it was still 2.1.

Still though...to wake up to the big red eye...weird...and the cat didn't even really need food; maybe she was creeped out by the eye too...

stuatc

Reaction score
Must be close

I was at my local VZW store yesterday for service and got into a discussion with the store manager. Take this as you wish but this is from my converstation with him. His phone is a DX and we got talking about 2.2. He said that he really wants the upgrade and that it's killing him because the new DX's that he is getting in the store already have 2.2 installed on them and it's not fair that he has to wait until he gets the OTA upgrade.

Not claiming that this is fact, but this is exactly what the store manager said to me yesterday afternoon.

scoob

Reaction score
Any word on if they are going to rollout to every one at the same time versus slowly over a week? Also will we be able to force the update via settings and checking for an update?

FoFa

Reaction score
I just got that text or email (can't remember) yesterday on my Droid I on the 2.2 upgrade. HUH, mines been upgraded for awhile now, through Verizon.

scoob

Reaction score
What do you mean yours has been updated for a while? froyo is not public yet ford the x

scoob

Reaction score
Can anyone confirm if new droid x's are now being sold with froyo pre installed?

jacobm69

Reaction score
What do you mean yours has been updated for a while? froyo is not public yet ford the x

Where does he mention the X?? He stated he just got that message and he has a droid 1.

Reading before posting should be a requirement

mjnub

Reaction score
So this morning at around 4:15, I was woken up by our cat...she usually scratches and meows at the sheets when she wants to be fed, but that normally isn't until between 5-6 am each day. Sucks cuz I gotta get up, feed her, then back to bed for another hour and a half or so.

ANYWAY...when I got up this morning to feed her I saw that my Droid X was frozen at the red eye during boot. Seemed a little creepy to be greeted by the big red eye at 4:15 in the morning. I did wonder if 2.2 was getting "quietly" pushed but once I power-cycled the phone, it was still 2.1.

Still though...to wake up to the big red eye...weird...and the cat didn't even really need food; maybe she was creeped out by the eye too...

Similar thing happened to me sadly my cat hung himself 2 weeks later... :{

carlz28

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Hmm interesting.. probably a ploy to push sales
If you're referring to the X, I highly doubt that is a ploy to push sales. With the X being sold out for how long now, and shipments coming very slowly, the phone is selling quite well on it' own.
Although with such a delay in being able to get one, people may be getting turned off to the X and looking for alternative phones.
That's the problem with the supply vs. demand war.

12TH34

Reaction score
Hmm interesting.. probably a ploy to push sales
..... With the X being sold out for how long now, and shipments coming very slowly, the phone is selling quite well on it' own.
Although with such a delay in being able to get one, people may be getting turned off to the X and looking for alternative phones.
That's the problem with the supply vs. demand war.

They are doing better on stock/shipping... I ordered a Droid X from VZ's webstore on Tuesday, and got an email that it shipped yesterday, so i should see it Monday by the fedex tracking number

jsandersp

Reaction score
Can anyone confirm if new droid x's are now being sold with froyo pre installed?

I've heard of people receiving replacement phones with 2.1 installed. I think new DX's aren't shipping until 9/24. Rumors point to 2.2 being released next week (of course this is the rumor every week). So, if the ota update rolls out next week, and the new DX's ship next week, wouldn't it make sense to ship them with 2.2? Who knows? Kind of sounds like the new shipping date and the latest rumors coincide nicely.