Verizon Discontinuing Its Android Data Widget; New One Coming for Shared Data Plans

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
verizon-data-widget.png

As you can see from the pic above, Verizon is apparently doing away with its data widget for Android phones. For those who don't have it or haven't seen it, this is a widget directly from Verizon that helps you see how much data you have used to help you avoid going over your monthly limit, if you have one. The My Verizon Data Widget, will delete itself off of your phone with its newest and next update. After yesterday, June 25th, it will no longer be supported.

verizon-shared-data-plan-new-widget-tweet.png

At first it may seem like some crafty way to trick customers into going over their data limits on Verizon's new Shared Data Plans; however, luckily that is not the case. Apparently, Verizon is coming out with a new/updated one very soon to replace the old one. This new one is designed to work specifically with their Shared Data Plans, and will apparently work with older plans as well.

Source: Verizon Twitter

tjk629

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
NEXUS 6
I've never used it (obviously worthless when you have unlimited), but won't the ICS option work just fine?

jayman350

Reaction score
I've never used it (obviously worthless when you have unlimited), but won't the ICS option work just fine?

the vzw one keeps you up to date with your "official" data usage for the month. if you flash a new ICS rom the data is reset to zero. i guess the ICS one will be sufficient for most, however I'm one of those people who can't leave well enough alone (crackflasher) so the ICS one is fairly useless for me.

Cozmyk94

Reaction score
From the training I've had about the data widget, which they still weren't very clear about, if you have the unlimited data package still grandfathered, it's supposed to work (which doesn't really matter lol.) Yes, they are revamping the widget to work with the Share Everything plan because now it won't be per device anymore. I do believe though that it'll work if you're on a tiered package as well. I'll have to get a confirmation on that tomorrow.

Shadez

Super Mod/News Team
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
www.droidforums.net
Current Phone Model
HTC One M8
Twitter
@Shadez69
I use onavo count from the market, its free.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Droid Forums

tjk629

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
NEXUS 6
the vzw one keeps you up to date with your "official" data usage for the month. if you flash a new ICS rom the data is reset to zero. i guess the ICS one will be sufficient for most, however I'm one of those people who can't leave well enough alone (crackflasher) so the ICS one is fairly useless for me.

Right.

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
And why wouldn't Verizon just keep the current widget they have until they actually finish creating the new one. Sounds like a no brainer idea to me, but then again, we're talking about Verizon trying to soak us for as much money as they can. They are really making me mad. I have two sons on limited data plans. They (and I) rely on that widget to make sure they don't go over their data.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Droid Forums

revelated

Reaction score
What they NEED to do is redesign the damn widget so it looks better. You can't resize it, can't customize it, clashes horribly with Ice Cream Sandwich in particular with that red.

mykl376

Reaction score
I have a single line with unlimited data. The My Verizon widget hasn't changed for me, but it doesn't seem to update often. I'll have to tap it to open it up, then it will update to my current data usage.