Verizon CFO Says One Third of Customers Already on Shared Data Plan.

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
verizon-wireless-moneybags.jpg

Apparently, Verizon's master plan to move all of their customer's to the Share Everything Data Plans is ahead of schedule. According to Fran Shammo, while speaking at the J.P. Morgan Global Technology, Media and Telecom Conference, fully one third of all Verizon customers are already on VZW Share Everything Plans. Here's a quote with some of the details,

As of the end of the first quarter of the year, Verizon had 30% of its 93.2 million retail post paid subscribers signed up for Share Everything. Shammo pointed out that as more customers sign up for the Verizon Share Everything Plan, they are adding more devices like tablets and mobile hotspots to their account. More devices means more data consumed, which means more revenue for Verizon.

Basically, in less than a years time Verizon has already moved or added new customers to their Share Everything Data Pricing model. During the conference, Shammo also shared his perspective on T-Mobile's new Uncarrier Pricing Model. Here's another quote,

Shammo did comment on T-Mobile's new plan that removes subsidized pricing from the purchase of new handsets. He noted that Verizon looked at an installment plan and in fact, did offer an installment plans for tablets in the fourth quarter of 2012. He also added that even if Verizon went to an unsubsidized plan for phone purchases, it would not change the price of the Share Everything service.

Based upon this info, it looks like the Share Everything Plan is a huge success for the company (at least from their business perspective). They will likely push forward with it and are unlikely to follow T-Mobile's lead with any type of alternative data plans.

Source: PhoneArena

johnomaz

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel 2XL
Of course they have. Unlike AT&T, if you want to renew your contract, you have to take the shared plan. Its mandatory. AT&T still lets you get a subsidized phone and keep your existing unlimited plan.

xDMONEYx

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Huawei Nexus 6P
Twitter
bentxnail
Of course they have. Unlike AT&T, if you want to renew your contract, you have to take the shared plan. Its mandatory. AT&T still lets you get a subsidized phone and keep your existing unlimited plan.

That and I would imagine a lot of customers who are aware of Verizon's scams, yes scams, are probably jumping ship at the end of their contract. I know I will eventually switch providers within the next two years. Verizon is just getting too shady and downright greedy. Taking advantage of their best network status. Well they won't be the best once all their customers start leaving because they only care about making more money and that's all.

JoeHockey

Reaction score
He also added that even if Verizon went to an unsubsidized plan for phone purchases, it would not change the price of the Share Everything service.

So they would drop the huge expense of subsidizing the phones but then not lower the prices of the plans? Classic VZW. I'm just waiting for a great phone to make me jump ship. Until then I will hold on to my unlimited plan.

gadgetrants

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
I know at least one family in the other 2/3. ;)

-Matt

Hugh Jass

Reaction score
I have a feeling us grandfathered folks will be smothered in our sleep pretty soon.

gadgetrants

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
I have a feeling us grandfathered folks will be smothered in our sleep pretty soon.
I *do* look over my shoulder all the time. What's even more hilarious is now, when I call VZW and rant about upgrading and losing unlimited, the CSR pretty much always laughs and sympathizes with me. It seems they deal with VERY angry customers every day, wondering why they've lost unlimited data. It has to be a known issue, and I feel sorry for the front-line customer service people.

True, we rarely use more than 1GB/month but it's the concept of unlimited that counts!

-Matt

dutchbastard

Reaction score
I hate this share plan as much as the next guy but id like to point out its not entirely forced.
I have had unlimited for a while now with the $20 discount on each line for data.
When upgraded one of the lines I got the 2gb data package and was able to keep the discount.
Not perfect but its something at least

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
That and I would imagine a lot of customers who are aware of Verizon's scams, yes scams, are probably jumping ship at the end of their contract. I know I will eventually switch providers within the next two years. Verizon is just getting too shady and downright greedy. Taking advantage of their best network status. Well they won't be the best once all their customers start leaving because they only care about making more money and that's all.

Think the only thing preventing a mass exodus to tmo is the coverage area. T-mo is basically giving us what we want; the ability to buy phones via google play (sim and bootloader unlocked) with a cheaper plan vs vzw. Just need to get working on getting more coverage. Until then t-mobile will be the carrier we all want vzw to be but know that it will never happen. So its either get everything we want in a carrier minus the coverage or get everything we hate in a carrier + the coverage.

jseah

Reaction score
I hate this share plan as much as the next guy but id like to point out its not entirely forced.
I have had unlimited for a while now with the $20 discount on each line for data.
When upgraded one of the lines I got the 2gb data package and was able to keep the discount.
Not perfect but its something at least

That's news to me. How long ago did you do the upgrade? When they first came out with Share Everything, I was told that even switching to tiered data by using an upgrade, I would lose the discount.

hammerhead13

Gold Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Galaxy Note10+ 5G
If Big Reds Service wasn't so Good I would have left already. Data plans are horrible. Miss my unlimited.

_33

Reaction score
Sadly, I had to step foot into a VZW store last week. My Daughter... it pains me to type this... asked me for an iPhone for her B-Day. Like the awesome Dad I am, I bit my tongue and got her one. Not from VZW though as I would lose my unlimited. Anyways, the salesman, who was actually really cool and knew his ****, tried his best to figure out some way that Shared Plan would work for us.

After some head scratching and stumbling around, it seems with our usage that my plan would go up about 100.00 a month! I kind of felt bad for him since he was a solid guy, but it felt good knowing I can walk in there and dodge the harassment with an easy win. I have three lines due for an upgrade and gave him my business card. I told him if they ever let me keep my unlimited that he can call me and I'll be there in an hour for three or four new phones. He told me that he "heard through some higher ups" that they were talks of some sort of workaround since there seems to be plenty of people like me who pay their 325.00 a month bill on time and will switch if need be.

Take it for what it's worth. I had the impression he was being sincere based on some other things we talked about. Some of which were not very nice things about his VZW higher ups.

Also, my Daughter is already whining about how slow her iPhone 4s is. She didn't want the iPhone 5 and was coming from a rooted and ROM'ed G-Nexus. I told her she's stuck with it for a couple of months.

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Sadly, I had to step foot into a VZW store last week. My Daughter... it pains me to type this... asked me for an iPhone for her B-Day. Like the awesome Dad I am, I bit my tongue and got her one. Not from VZW though as I would lose my unlimited. Anyways, the salesman, who was actually really cool and knew his ****, tried his best to figure out some way that Shared Plan would work for us.

After some head scratching and stumbling around, it seems with our usage that my plan would go up about 100.00 a month! I kind of felt bad for him since he was a solid guy, but it felt good knowing I can walk in there and dodge the harassment with an easy win. I have three lines due for an upgrade and gave him my business card. I told him if they ever let me keep my unlimited that he can call me and I'll be there in an hour for three or four new phones. He told me that he "heard through some higher ups" that they were talks of some sort of workaround since there seems to be plenty of people like me who pay their 325.00 a month bill on time and will switch if need be.

Take it for what it's worth. I had the impression he was being sincere based on some other things we talked about. Some of which were not very nice things about his VZW higher ups.

Also, my Daughter is already whining about how slow her iPhone 4s is. She didn't want the iPhone 5 and was coming from a rooted and ROM'ed G-Nexus. I told her she's stuck with it for a couple of months.

The toughest thing about being a parent is having to allow them to learn painful lessons themselves.
I really don't see Verizon having the fore sight to start planning on what to do when the exodus begins. They've always been more reactive than proactive when it comes to churn numbers.

Support Our Troops!!!
<><
A Rezound phone was used for this Tapatalk post

crxlsturbo

Reaction score
If Big Reds Service wasn't so Good I would have left already. Data plans are horrible. Miss my unlimited.

Same here. I have 2 upgrades available right now. But I have been dodging the shared data plan for awhile. But with the way my wife uploads Facebook pics a lot she easily uses over 2gigs worth of data. I just wish they would up the 2gig plan to 4gig for the 2gig price. 2gigs of data can be burned up very quickly.

gadgetrants

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
I think there's a straightforward solution that would probably please both VZW and most subscribers, which is rollover data. In our case, we have two lines with unlimited data at $30/month each -- which just happens to be the same rate that VZW charges for 2GB on a conventional plan. I've done the math a dozen times, and I keep concluding that I'd be happy to switch to the $30-for-2GB as long as the excess MB roll over each month (and NEVER EXPIRE!!!). I'd give up unlimited (and take back the subsidized option) in a heartbeat, though admittedly, that arrangement wouldn't work for heavier consumers.

FWIW, each time I call, I ask if rollover data might ever happen, and I always get the same pat answer, "That's a great idea -- several customers have mentioned it -- I'll make sure my supervisor knows."

-Matt