Verizon beings unlimited data throttle - Your response?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Koroz

Reaction score
I think any assumption you made is your fault though. Again, you still have unlimited data and you can use 4TB of data and they cannot and will not charge you overages. In fact, people tether 60GB a month and Verizon has never charged anyone an overage. You have unlimited data, which is what you signed up for. You do not have any promised speed and you were never promised any speed.

When I signed up I understood it to mean I can use my phone to download, upload and use as much data as I want without restriction. And I still can. I didn't assume that to mean I will get a certain speed always and forever and I was never promised that.

Wasn't my assumption sorry I should be more clear. This is a clear case of mis-information of the sales team just like when the data tiers were implemented. I called VZW corporate and asked if the upgrade to a new 4g device for grandfathered people would result in tiered data because of the new contract, I was told that yes after you first upgrade you will be forced into tiered data.

So I went ahead and canceled all of my VZW lines (I had 6!) I went and signed up for Sprint. I then went into VZW to pay my final bill when it came and I explained to them what I was told and they told me that isn't true, that in fact if you are grandfathered in you WILL be able to upgrade unlimited with out being forced to tier data...

So what does that have to do with this subject?

When I purchased my Dx, and two samsung phones I asked. "Does unlimited mean I can download whatever I want, as much as I want with out penalty or higher charges?" And I was told yes. When I went and bought my thunderbolt and charge, I again asked because they were talking about implementing the new data plans. I again was told Yes! I could use as much data as I want free of worry from any penalties.

Guess what? That isn't true. And the ONLY way you will know that is to read a large ass multiple pamphlet booklet with the capped data usage coverage being stuck somewhere in the middle. Should I have read it all? Maybe. Should a company sell a product as unlimited then "define" unlimited in small print in a 500 page booklet as something other then what the word "unlimited" was coined to mean in their commercials, and sold by their sales teams?

Its shady at best. You can agree to disagree but the fact won't change that its shady. To further compound my thoughts, I do agree its ok as long as they compensate with a lower monthly fee (maybe 5 bucks off?) for the fact they are, regardless of reason, limited unlimited plans.

liftedplane

Gold Member
Reaction score
and after reading over that page it doesn't seem so bad, IF it works as stated... that's a pretty big if and opens a can of worms for "other" optimizations in the future, at least they are realizing that the 4g lte network has the throughput to handle everyone at once,

Will I be affected by Network Optimization?
Only a small percent of customers will be affected. To be affected, you must be:
  • A data customer on an unlimited data plan;
  • Have a 3G Verizon Wireless device (if you have a 4G LTE device you will not be impacted); and
  • Among the top 5% of data users in a given month.

Lets hope it works like that

czerdrill

Silver Member
Reaction score
Wasn't my assumption sorry I should be more clear. This is a clear case of mis-information of the sales team just like when the data tiers were implemented. I called VZW corporate and asked if the upgrade to a new 4g device for grandfathered people would result in tiered data because of the new contract, I was told that yes after you first upgrade you will be forced into tiered data.

So I went ahead and canceled all of my VZW lines (I had 6!) I went and signed up for Sprint. I then went into VZW to pay my final bill when it came and I explained to them what I was told and they told me that isn't true, that in fact if you are grandfathered in you WILL be able to upgrade unlimited with out being forced to tier data...

So what does that have to do with this subject?

When I purchased my Dx, and two samsung phones I asked. "Does unlimited mean I can download whatever I want, as much as I want with out penalty or higher charges?" And I was told yes. When I went and bought my thunderbolt and charge, I again asked because they were talking about implementing the new data plans. I again was told Yes! I could use as much data as I want free of worry from any penalties.

Guess what? That isn't true. And the ONLY way you will know that is to read a large ass multiple pamphlet booklet with the capped data usage coverage being stuck somewhere in the middle. Should I have read it all? Maybe. Should a company sell a product as unlimited then "define" unlimited in small print in a 500 page booklet as something other then what the word "unlimited" was coined to mean in their commercials, and sold by their sales teams?

Its shady at best. You can agree to disagree but the fact won't change that its shady. To further compound my thoughts, I do agree its ok as long as they compensate with a lower monthly fee (maybe 5 bucks off?) for the fact they are, regardless of reason, limited unlimited plans.

Yeah I guess we have to agree to disagree. When I signed up for my plan I knew that there would be no cap on the amount of data I use per month (and there still isn't). I also knew that it didn't mean I would have some promised speed everyday, all day 24/7. I signed up for unlimited data, I still have it, and I was never promised any speed, nor was I promised that they wouldn't throttle my speed. In fact, I was told that they would and could at their discretion.

Again, I understand what your saying, and that you feel misled, but I think you misunderstood what you were signing up for.

liftedplane

Gold Member
Reaction score
so stop paying your VZW bill. You can call everyone else sheep but so long as you pay your bill, you are one in the same.

here's the deal, I'm happy with it... I'm not a sheep, I could stop if I wanted to, I don't want to. I full well know what I'm getting myself into, I know I'm not allowed to tether, and if I do anyways I KNOW they can charge me, I don't have to pay, but I will because, well you caught me.... simply put, if people don't realize that they have the power *****ing isn't going to change anything

Koroz

Reaction score
regardless CZR thanks for the debate that didn't turn into a flame fest =D Odd for that to happen on forums these days /laugh.

OP
Malvado

Malvado

DF News Team/Mod
Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
Not Verizon the evil high data users, who are abusing their unlimited data!!!

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums

Ooh ok lol. I misunderstood.

Sent from my Droid 3 directly to YOU!

Rowzy

Reaction score
More telco BS. Its just like charging out the ass for text messaging when theyre basically free for them to process. I know a lot about the technical side of these things and have done a lot of research on the telcos. The more you know the more youll rage. Dont even get me started on this topic. Im just going to leave right now. Tether all you want. Dont let the duopolies scare tactics get to you.

OneTenderRebel

Silver Member
Reaction score
here's the deal, I'm happy with it... I'm not a sheep, I could stop if I wanted to, I don't want to. I full well know what I'm getting myself into, I know I'm not allowed to tether, and if I do anyways I KNOW they can charge me, I don't have to pay, but I will because, well you caught me.... simply put, if people don't realize that they have the power *****ing isn't going to change anything

this is true, big business do shady crap all the time that we dislike but unless there is a serious uprising nothing will ever change.

liftedplane

Gold Member
Reaction score
they haven't capped my data...have they capped yours?

by cap I was implying cap my speed, I'm not worried about it... I use less than 10gb a month, I use just barely over 2, however with my new bionic I'll probably watch netflix from time to time, that takes ALOT of data, I know this... but I won't stream it every day.

I do agree with your statement regarding I signed for unlimited data, I even think there is a clause that says your speed will vary, or something to that affect.

czerdrill

Silver Member
Reaction score
by cap I was implying cap my speed, I'm not worried about it... I use less than 10gb a month, I use just barely over 2, however with my new bionic I'll probably watch netflix from time to time, that takes ALOT of data, I know this... but I won't stream it every day.

I do agree with your statement regarding I signed for unlimited data, I even think there is a clause that says your speed will vary, or something to that affect.

Well remember this will only affect 3G users...if you're on a 4G plan which you are with the bionic you aren't affected so no worries :)

OP
Malvado

Malvado

DF News Team/Mod
Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
They said unlimited data, not unlimited speed. You still have unlimited data.

This is true. People are getting confused. This only means they will slow down your data speed if you are a heavy user.

Sent from my Droid 3 directly to YOU!

liftedplane

Gold Member
Reaction score
this is true, big business do shady crap all the time that we dislike but unless there is a serious uprising nothing will ever change.
precisely, think of it this way, everyone complains about high gas prices, yet they keep buying gas, or even better they decide lets all not buy gas one day, big oil is laughing their asses off because they know they can all raise prices the next day, people will then buy it.

if we all stopped getting gas from say, shell... they would eventually have to drop prices, when they did, everyone would stop buying from someone else, it's all about starting a bidding war.

that's fuel, flat out VZW has the best network... it's not the same principle, until every carrier is on this new system they can do stuff like this and know they won't lose customers... when everyones on the same page and vzw has to actually compete with say, att or some other company, then they will be forced to change policy.

until then, oh well... I prefer their service and most of this stuff doesn't affect me. I'm still unlimited so that's good enough.

liftedplane

Gold Member
Reaction score
I do wonder how much they throttle it, down 10% down 50% down 75%? I would like to see a number.
that page said it depends, it all depends on what is going on on that particular 3g cell site at that particular time...

How is this different than throttling?
The difference between our Network Optimization practices and throttling is network intelligence. With throttling, your wireless data speed is reduced for your entire cycle, 100% of the time, no matter where you are. Network Optimization is based on the theory that all customers should have the best network possible, and if you’re not causing congestion for others, even if you are using a high amount of data, your connection speed should be as good as possible. So, if you’re in the top 5% of data users, your speed is reduced only when you are connected to a congested cell site. Once you are no longer connected to a congested site, your speed will return to normal. This could mean a matter of seconds or hours, depending on your location and time of day.

it just has to actually work like that, that's all

jjbinks82

Reaction score
This forum sounds like it has a ton of Verizon implants. If you pay for unlimited you shouldn't be coarsened our intimidated from using that said data you pay for.

Also, unfortunately VZ has the power to just change things up on us the consumer and there isn't really much of anything we can do about it.

Then you wonder why people are so quick to do things their not suppose to, ie. Root and wifi tether...

Sent from my ROOTED DROID BIONC using DroidForums

Status
Not open for further replies.