Verizon beings unlimited data throttle - Your response?

Status
Not open for further replies.
OP
Malvado

Malvado

DF News Team/Mod
Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
I use between 3 and 5 gb monthly. My contract states that my data plan is unlimited, therefore I take great offense to any of you calling me abusive of MY unlimited data plan if I so choose to 100 or 1000gb each month. That's my right. Throttling the data that my contract says is A-OK is BS, regardless of how much I do or don't use. This is outrageous. They don't limit their home internet data at all. No speeds are throttled either.

Actually, home ISP is throttled. No offense but some research would help you understand.

Sent from my Droid 3 directly to YOU!

korp

Reaction score
This is why when my contract is up, depending on my living arrangements, I will likely switch to Sprint. I have no high-speed internet of any form and am NOT paying out the rear for overpriced, horrible satellite BS. My MotoDroid is my only hope outside of dial-up, and screw that. I know Sprint has service where I live, and they've still got unlimited.

Good luck with that because Sprint will slowly raise their prices for a very subpar service. Sprint 4G is terrible compared to VZW 4G speeds and coverage is very limited. Not to mention device selection on Sprint is nowhere close to VZW's lineup.

Actually, home ISP is throttled. No offense but some research would help you understand.

Exactly .... that's why you see home ISP saying up to 20mbps (Qwest) yet nobody actually ever scores this speed.

markwny153

Reaction score
What amazes me is that this came as a surprise to many people, even to the point that they don't understand that this was planned all along. It's not rocket science to figure out what the network behavior is going to be as the connections get faster along with other factors. Verizon will do whatever is necessary in order to keep the majority of their clients happy. We all need to get over it and deal with it.

suzukimethod

Reaction score
I got throttled on VZW when i was using a USB modem as my sole internet connection while working on the road. I was using quite a bit of data over 5GB (which was the "soft cap" at the time) and it took 3-4 mos of over 5GB usage before the throttling kicked in. when it did, it def sucked. It was basically 1x (instead of 3g speeds) iirc (it's been 3 years)....it only took a month for me to get off the throttle list. i was more careful after that.

I'm just glad to see that 4G isnt included (yet).

jjbinks82

Reaction score
You can leave Verizon. I wouldn't go as far as saying "there isnt really much of anything that we can do about it"...

What? Then go to AT&T or T-Mobile??? No matter where I go I get charged the same. Yes, I can choose to not have a phone at all, but then that ain't really realistic in this age.

No, besides complaining about it there's nothing we can do about their monopoly and their power to change whatever they want whenever they want.

Sent from my GT-P7510 using DroidForums

Shadez

Super Mod/News Team
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
www.droidforums.net
Current Phone Model
HTC One M8
Twitter
@Shadez69
This also could be temporary as verizon continuously updates its sites. I think verizon knows they are the best carrier, and I don't see them wanting to jeapordize that.

czerdrill

Silver Member
Reaction score
What? Then go to AT&T or T-Mobile??? No matter where I go I get charged the same. Yes, I can choose to not have a phone at all, but then that ain't really realistic in this age.

No, besides complaining about it there's nothing we can do about their monopoly and their power to change whatever they want whenever they want.

Sent from my GT-P7510 using DroidForums

I guess what I meant was if your complain is about being throttled, you can leave Verizon and go to sprint where you're not throttled. it's a tradeoff. if you want a reliable, robust network you have to accept their terms. if you want to be unthrottled with unlimited data, sprint offers that at the expense of network quality.

Reaction score
All this talk about going elsewhere is misguided. Currently Springy is the only carrier that still offers unlimited data to new customers but even they never begun throttling data speeds. They are starting on a smaller scale by throttling only those using Virgin Mobile but they have made it clear they reserve the right to throttle anyone. Also, the other carriers throttle their "4g" while verizon is only "optimizing" their 3g service.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums

Dad23Boys77

Reaction score
Ok. Ill say this up front. I didn't read all 9 pages of this thread, so maybe this was already said.

But I think the key word that everyone is missing is MAY! I didnt read anywhere in the original post that said Verizon is ABSOLUTELY 100 % going to do this or that. Let's all calm down and relax! If it does happen and it does apply to you then wait to use the majority of your data connections over wifi.

Sent from my DROID3 using DroidForums

thistle

Reaction score
It is amazing to me that in the US we are behind most every other developed country in terms of internet access and yet here people are applauding not the advancement of our systems and networks, but instead the corporate bully who is allowed to instead increase their availability will now begin to limit people who bought a package that wasn't really what they bought.
It's incredible people don't see this, no?

Reaction score
Ok. Ill say this up front. I didn't read all 9 pages of this thread, so maybe this was already said.

But I think the key word that everyone is missing is MAY! I didnt read anywhere in the original post that said Verizon is ABSOLUTELY 100 % going to do this or that. Let's all calm down and relax! If it does happen and it does apply to you then wait to use the majority of your data connections over wifi.

Yeah, a lot of this thread is people ferrying upset over nothing. There is a link on page 7 of thief thread that explains what they are doing. They are boy throttling your data. They are just letting people know that if they ate high users and are on a congested tower, their speed may get reduced at that time but they will return to full speed when the congestion decreases or if the user ends up on a less congested tower. And this only applies to 3g devices because there aren't enough 4g users yet to cause congestion.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums

OP
Malvado

Malvado

DF News Team/Mod
Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com

You must of just read the title of this thread. If you read the article, it states that Verizon WILL begin data throttling....or in Verizon's words "NETWORK OPTIMIZING their 3g service"

SupraRZ95

Reaction score
Instead of adding more towers for speed and reliability they throttle a already bottle necked network. Awesome Verizon. G ****ing G Verizon.

x.sys

markwny153

Reaction score
This also could be temporary as verizon continuously updates its sites. I think verizon knows they are the best carrier, and I don't see them wanting to jeapordize that.

I think that's a bit naive. Whenever the backhaul gets saturated, the carrier is going to take steps to manage it. You can either increase the capacity or decrease the demand. It's always a cost/benefit tradeoff.
PHP:

Status
Not open for further replies.