[Breaking]Verizon Plans to Slow Downloads of High Data Users Because of iPhone Launch

Status
Not open for further replies.

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
verizon_unlimited_data_iphone.jpg

If you didn't like the iPhone before, here is another reason to be angry that it is coming to Verizon. An eagle-eyed information gatherer from website 'BGR' found a .pdf file on Verizon's own website that indicates one of the ways Verizon plans to 'manage' the heavy flow of data traffic it expects from the soon-to-be-released Verizon iPhone. They intend to slow the download speeds of any users who hit a 5 percent peak on data usage. Conveniently, once this was reported, Verizon removed the file from their website. Here is a quote from the original file,
If you use an extraordinary amount of data and fall within the top 5% of Verizon Wireless data users we may reduce your data throughput speeds periodically for the remainder of your then current and immediately following billing cycle to ensure high quality network performance for other users at locations and times of peak demand.

While we invest much effort to avoid changing text, image, and video files in the compression process and while any change to the file is likely to be indiscernible, the optimization process may minimally impact the appearance of the file as displayed on your device. For a further, more detailed explanation of these techniques, please visit www.verizonwireless.com/vzwoptimization.
So, not only do they plan on slowing the download speeds for heavy data users, but the files might turn out 'wonky'? So much for 'unlimited' data plan. Yes, they may be allowing you to access as much data as you want, but they are still putting 'limitations' on the service for certain 'high usage' customers. I suppose this 'data-throttling' has to happen for now, but what do you guys think of this new development?

Source: BGR & iPhoneForums.net

Last edited:

youngti

Reaction score
Wonder how much data you have to pass to be in the top 5%.

czerdrill

Silver Member
Reaction score
i'm sure this is not going to affect 99% of vzw customers. the ones it will effect are the ones that use like 30-50GB/month...

clearly 99% of those people are tethering nonstop so this is a good thing, not a reason to hate verizon or apple

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
As long as they slow down high data iphone users cuz if not then that is .....well you know what it is. I hope that is not true because if vzw starts slowing down my service to cater to apple they will lose many customers. Now we need to know what the limit is. If its for users using like 20 gigs a month then ok. But if its for customers who use between 2-5 gbs as well then that is messed up being we know iphone users will be in that range as well.

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Things like this are why I hoped to never see the iPhone on VZW.

brando56894

Reaction score

I'd say probably anyone using over 5GB a month. I actually kind of like this idea since now there are repercussions for being a bandwith hog. Its the people that use their 3G connection as their sole internet connection that hurts everyone else. I used to download a lot of roms and stuff over 3G and even then I never came close to 5GB/month, now I'm probably somewhere around 2GB/month.

czerdrill

Silver Member
Reaction score

I'd say probably anyone using over 5GB a month. I actually kind of like this idea since now there are repercussions for being a bandwith hog. Its the people that use their 3G connection as their sole internet connection that hurts everyone else. I used to download a lot of roms and stuff over 3G and even then I never came close to 5GB/month, now I'm probably somewhere around 2GB/month.

exactly. its not going to affect the overwhelming majority of users. the ones who's ISP is now verizon wireless are the ones that are going to be affected, and rightly so.

jaycemiskel

Reaction score
The iPhone people don't use as much data as Android users so most of them probably won't be getting throttled. I mostly use Wifi so I don't really care anyway.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

Beardface

Reaction score
Yep...

I have some family who work in Tech Support and in-field repair and development for Verizon and they are all being sent home in the weeks leading up to the iPhone's launch. The reason? As much as they publicly say otherwise, Verizon internally has been telling their workers they know the network simply cannot handle the traffic it is about to get when it launches, and they aren't going to bother with small temporary patches now when they know the whole thing will be FUBAR in a month.

ntrddragn

Reaction score
what is the criteria for "Top 5%"? if 95% off there data user are using like 250MB does that mean anyone over that limit is in the "top 5%"? this was how AT&T determined their tier data plan,no?

Josefius

Reaction score
I predicted this, I also think the exidus of iPhone people running from AT&T's ****ty network, may make ours just as ****ty.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

czerdrill

Silver Member
Reaction score

it's apple and its the iphone. there's obviously going to be some catering/favoritism going on. i dont think it'll affect the majority though.

adjangs

Reaction score
So they say they'll throttle the top 5% of Verizon wireless customers.

Does that work out to 1 in 10 smartphone users?

jaycemiskel

Reaction score
what is the criteria for "Top 5%"? if 95% off there data user are using like 250MB does that mean anyone over that limit is in the "top 5%"? this was how AT&T determined their tier data plan,no?

I believe that's how they determined it. A lot of people think that it's not going to affect them, but the reality is a lot of people on these forums are probably in the 95th percentile. Most people probably don't use that much data on their phones. 65% of At&ts customers used less than 200mb and 98% used less than 2gb in a month. Still think you won't be getting throttled?
New AT&T data plans milk data gluttons, lower costs for most

czerdrill

Silver Member
Reaction score
the article says:

"If you use an extraordinary amount of data and fall within the top 5 percent of Verizon Wireless data users we may reduce your data throughput speeds periodically for the remainder of your then current and immediately following billing cycle to ensure high quality network performance for other users at locations and times of peak demand," states the document.

Read more: Verizon to throttle data speeds for heaviest users | Apple - CNET News"

in other words, first you have to use an "extraordinary amount of data" and on top of that you have to be the top 5% of those that use that extraordinary amount...i highly doubt their idea of extraordinary is 2GB. Again, this is for people who are tethering, and torrenting and playing xbox and ps3 through their 3g connection. the ones who use like 50GB a month, and then whine that "I pay for unlimited so it should be unlimited!!!"...you know, the entitled children. verizon is not gonna throttle you if 95% uses 250MB and you use 1GB. everyone is getting upset about nothing

Status
Not open for further replies.