Verizon beings unlimited data throttle - Your response?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Koroz

Reaction score
It is amazing to me that in the US we are behind most every other developed country in terms of internet access and yet here people are applauding not the advancement of our systems and networks, but instead the corporate bully who is allowed to instead increase their availability will now begin to limit people who bought a package that wasn't really what they bought.

Fine, you want to throttle heavy data usage? Then you need to lower their payment per month. People paid for unlimited, unlimited doesn't mean capped in the world I grew up in, but that's why I canceled VZW and moved to sprint. Am I happy with sprint network? No. But I speak with my wallet and ill be damned if I turn into a corporate shill who just agrees with wrong business practice because it doesn't affect "me".

matthew4295

Reaction score
I am probably one of those who "abuse" my data plan and tbh, I think this is a good move on Verizon. I do use my data plan excessively (No Netflix, torrents or Xbox) but I do tether with my laptop...a lot. And I don't deserve the right to get as fast of data as someone who uses it just for Angry Birds or what ever. I might be in the top 5% and I am ok with Verizon doing this.

djkms

Reaction score
Sad thing is that anyone over 2gb is considered part of the 5% group and will be throttled.

Source of this information? Or are you just guessing based on the data tiering system?

czerdrill

Silver Member
Reaction score
It is amazing to me that in the US we are behind most every other developed country in terms of internet access and yet here people are applauding not the advancement of our systems and networks, but instead the corporate bully who is allowed to instead increase their availability will now begin to limit people who bought a package that wasn't really what they bought.

Fine, you want to throttle heavy data usage? Then you need to lower their payment per month. People paid for unlimited, unlimited doesn't mean capped in the world I grew up in, but that's why I canceled VZW and moved to sprint. Am I happy with sprint network? No. But I speak with my wallet and ill be damned if I turn into a corporate shill who just agrees with wrong business practice because it doesn't affect "me".

Did you sign up for unlimited data or did you sign up for throttle free data? It was never promised that the data would be a consistent speed. there are still no caps, and you still have unlimited.

Koroz

Reaction score
I am probably one of those who "abuse" my data plan and tbh, I think this is a good move on Verizon. I do use my data plan excessively (No Netflix, torrents or Xbox) but I do tether with my laptop...a lot. And I don't deserve the right to get as fast of data as someone who uses it just for Angry Birds or what ever. I might be in the top 5% and I am ok with Verizon doing this.

why not don't you deserve the right to get the same service others paid for, you paid the same rate and you paid for an unlimited data package, how is your choice to use that data package "worse" then someone elses choice to not?

matthew4295

Reaction score
I just want to add:

I do not think that Verizon has the right to be doing this because they did say "Unlimited" but I do think it is needed.

czerdrill

Silver Member
Reaction score
I just want to add:

I do not think that Verizon has the right to be doing this because they did say "Unlimited" but I do think it is needed.

They said unlimited data, not unlimited speed. You still have unlimited data.

NeoPhoenixTE

Reaction score
I gotta say I'm impressed by the replies thusfar. I was expecting an inferno of rage, but it seems this crowd is more level-headed than others. Very impressive.

I know it won't affect me simply due to the fact I can't tether anymore, thus can't really go nuts on data usage. I have an ISP at home for torrents and crap. I'd think my poor phone would melt if I tried to use it as an ISP.

Verizon seems to be taking a lesson from Comcast in the whole "throttle the top 5%" model. Guess it's a model we can expect to see from other carriers shortly.

Koroz

Reaction score
Did you sign up for unlimited data or did you sign up for throttle free data? It was never promised that the data would be a consistent speed. there are still no caps, and you still have unlimited.

When you sign up for service to netflix they never guarentee there is full movies available when you purchase your sub, they just say you can stream movies. So if we really want to start playing the word game, fine, but we all will be in the crapper when we have to sign 500 page documents for people like you who choose to ignore the intent of the word "Unlimited" in regards to cell data usage.

OneTenderRebel

Silver Member
Reaction score
When you sign up for service to netflix they never guarentee there is full movies available when you purchase your sub, they just say you can stream movies. So if we really want to start playing the word game, fine, but we all will be in the crapper when we have to sign 500 page documents for people like you who choose to ignore the intent of the word "Unlimited" in regards to cell data usage.

Is that really a good analogy?

czerdrill

Silver Member
Reaction score

It's not a word game, its just a fact. You signed up for unlimited data, the TOS does not promise any speed, in fact the TOS specifically states they reserve the right to throttle. It's not VZW's fault if you didn't read the TOS or simply chose to ignore it.

They're not taking away unlimited data. You can still use 200GB a month if you want and you wont get any overages. However, you will be throttled.

matthew4295

Reaction score
why not don't you deserve the right to get the same service others paid for, you paid the same rate and you paid for an unlimited data package, how is your choice to use that data package "worse" then someone elses choice to not?

I just (kinda) replied to myself and said that what Verizon is doing is wrong....especially with what they charge.... but if I am effecting everyone else because I use a little too much....well then do what is best for the masses....not just us geeks. (Even though the only ones that will EVER know are the geeks)

I guess I am a little torn. On one hand I am one of the "abusers" so I almost feel as though I don't have a right ***** and moan but at the same time I feel as though I am paying these crazy dues and Verizon is kinda saying "We decided to change a word or two here in this legally binding contract. If you want to get out of it, my Secretary will take your $325 gladly."

idefiler6

Reaction score
I use between 3 and 5 gb monthly. My contract states that my data plan is unlimited, therefore I take great offense to any of you calling me abusive of MY unlimited data plan if I so choose to 100 or 1000gb each month. That's my right. Throttling the data that my contract says is A-OK is BS, regardless of how much I do or don't use. This is outrageous. They don't limit their home internet data at all. No speeds are throttled either.

czerdrill

Silver Member
Reaction score
I just (kinda) replied to myself and said that what Verizon is doing is wrong....especially with what they charge.... but if I am effecting everyone else because I use a little too much....well then do what is best for the masses....not just us geeks. (Even though the only ones that will EVER know are the geeks)

I guess I am a little torn. On one hand I am one of the "abusers" so I almost feel as though I don't have a right ***** and moan but at the same time I feel as though I am paying these crazy dues and Verizon is kinda saying "We decided to change a word or two here in this legally binding contract. If you want to get out of it, my Secretary will take your $325 gladly."

But see that's incorrect too. They didn't change a word or two, it's always been in the TOS that they can throttle if they want to protect the integrity of their network. Also, if they did change anything (which they didnt in this case) they have to tell you and if you disagree you can opt out of your contract with no ETF. In other words, no matter what we want to believe, we agreed to everything they're doing. They're not pulling wool over anyone's eyes.

matthew4295

Reaction score
They said unlimited data, not unlimited speed. You still have unlimited data.

That is true and I won't leave as long as they keep giving me the unlimited data. But the question is, how much will they slow the speed down? If is is not noticeable, fine. If it is and it gets to the point that my phone isn't as much fun to use....then that would be their way of limiting my data.

Status
Not open for further replies.