Verizon Adjusts Return Policy for the Holidays

Trusstopher

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score

Thanks to a change in policy with Verizon Wireless, any device purchased on or after November 15th can be returned or exchanged for the $35 restocking fee all the way until January 9th.

Does this change your thoughts on picking up a Rezound or Razr and testing it out until the Nexus is released?

Source: Droid Life; Verizon

Last edited:
OP
Trusstopher

Trusstopher

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Weird how this just missed anyone who bought the Razr or Rezound day 1...

blacksoxing

Reaction score
Dang, I plan on buying my phone through Best Buy Mobile....

Shoot!

COSam

Reaction score
Helllllo Rezound.

[Galaxy Nexus Releases]

Goooooodbye Rezound and Hellllllo Nexus.

danceswithbongs

Reaction score
ZOMG!
Talk about a game changer.
Could be read as a sign that the Nexus might be further away than imagined?
Verizon may have had their hand forced on this one, as the sales figures for the RAZR haven't been as robust as predicted.
Quite possibly Verizon has interpreted this as a sign that many are sitting on their upgrades until the Nexus.
This would be a great way to move product currently and I imagine that the bean counters got to the $35 restock fee by crunching the numbers to ensure a small profit. Even 5 dollars profit is ginormous, as the 5 bones isn't the most important variable, that will be the number of phones restocked. And this will undoubtedly create a large number of sales now which will make for a nice fourth quarter and impact the yearly figures as well.
Also very possible that this is a genius ploy to make us think that the Nexus will be delayed much more, igniting sales and then releasing it by Black Friday.
Verizon has once again created another win win situation for themselves.
DWB

OP
Trusstopher

Trusstopher

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
ZOMG!
Verizon may have had their hand forced on this one, as the sales figures for the RAZR haven't been as robust as predicted.
Quite possibly Verizon has interpreted this as a sign that many are sitting on their upgrades until the Nexus.
This would be a great way to move product currently and I imagine that the bean counters got to the $35 restock fee by crunching the numbers to ensure a small profit. Even 5 dollars profit is ginormous, as the 5 bones isn't the most important variable, that will be the number of phones restocked. And this will undoubtedly create a large number of sales now which will make for a nice fourth quarter and impact the yearly figures as well.
Also very possible that this is a genius ploy to make us think that the Nexus will be delayed much more, igniting sales and then releasing it by Black Friday.
DWB

I also wonder how much profit (if any) VZW makes on those nicely marked down "Certified Pre-Owned" devices that are all over their on-line store?? I imagine there is a larger than typical group of consumers that hold out and wait to jump on those "bargains" in this tougher economy...

B-Unit

Reaction score
ZOMG!
DWB

I wouldn't read too much into this. Extended return periods are a pretty standard retail practice during the holidays.

danceswithbongs

Reaction score
Agreed, but this is a different scenario. This is the norm for most retailers. But this is not the norm for Verizon, making it appear to me that there is a different motivation.

walkin the walk while tappin the talk
danceswithbongs

mach330

Reaction score
do you have to get the phone at verizon for this to be valid? Or can we get it at costco and the same return policy is extended?

I would like to try the razr, but I know I won't keep it cuz of the screen is much better on the rezound and gnex.
I would get the rezound, but I know it's too big (thick) for my taste.

i'm leaning on waiting and saving myself the trouble.

Brimm

Reaction score
Wow that sounds pretty nice. I gotta admit that I'm a little tempted to go out and test out the Razr for a bit until the nexus comes out. My current phone makes me want to go leatherface on someone so getting a new phone asap would be awesome. However, I don't know if I want to deal with the whole restocking fee thing and then exchanging it for the nexus. I've never returned a phone before so I don't really know what its like...

sbenson

Silver Member
Reaction score
Hmmm...if Verizon screws us on the Nexus until the end of the year, I'm probably jumping on this.

My plan: Buy Rezound --> Root Rezound --> Enjoy a usable phone for a month --> Unroot Rezound --> Return Rezound --> Curse Verizon --> Buy Nexus --> Eat Ice Cream Sandwich --> Continue Cursing Verizon for all eternity

akaskoot

Reaction score
Do you mind if I "borrow" your plan!??! :hail:

Hmmm...if Verizon screws us on the Nexus until the end of the year, I'm probably jumping on this.

My plan: Buy Rezound --> Root Rezound --> Enjoy a usable phone for a month --> Unroot Rezound --> Return Rezound --> Curse Verizon --> Buy Nexus --> Eat Ice Cream Sandwich --> Continue Cursing Verizon for all eternity

alboboy10

Reaction score
Verizon is doing this so u can pay full price with them.

Other stores like Costco sell the phones for far cheaper.