Vehicle Navigation Dock IMPORTANT!

Noodle360

Reaction score
Do you only have the buzzing when using this phone, or is it in all the audio? If so its a wiring issue. Otherwise plug an mp3 or cd player into the radio with the 3.5 and see if it still buzzes, if so plug a regular headphone into your phone, then see if they buzz...

Krzypuppy2

Reaction score
Thank you for the helpful information on this mount. I have not subscribed to VZ Navigator yet, so I will check out Google instead.

Lynn

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
I don't have bluetooth so use the audio plug and the buzzing i get out of my car audio makes it unusable. I tried using the 3.5mm plug but the mount auto switches to usb and the buzz continues. I will do more tesring to clarify. Anybody having this issue?issuing

To eliminate the "buzzing" go to your local Radio Shack and pick up a Ground Loop Isolator to go inline with the audio cable. You will need to also get the proper adapter plus to convert the 3.5mm female jack to dual phono plugs to fit the Isolator's inputs, and the reverse to fit the opposite ends of both the cable and Isolator. If you want to eliminate the adapters, you could splice the cables, or you can get them of the Web with the proper 3.5mm plug and jack on opposite ends, but I've found they are often interior.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

hyperslug

Reaction score
Do you only have the buzzing when using this phone, or is it in all the audio? If so its a wiring issue. Otherwise plug an mp3 or cd player into the radio with the 3.5 and see if it still buzzes, if so plug a regular headphone into your phone, then see if they buzz...

Further testing shows that any time the dock or just the 12v power cord is feeding voltage into the usb it buzzes. With 3mm jack plugged into my aux jack and nothing else then it works fine. It is definity engine / electrical interference i here because the buzz changes with my gear shifting. Is there some kind of interfernce suppresor that works with usb? Any help appreciated.

hyperslug

Reaction score
Further testing shows that any time the dock or just the 12v power cord is feeding voltage into the usb it buzzes. With 3mm jack plugged into my aux jack and nothing else then it works fine. It is definity engine / electrical interference i here because the buzz changes with my gear shifting. Is there some kind of interfernce suppresor that works with usb? Any help appreciated.

And all the buzzing is in the car audio. 2008 mazdaspeed3, bose stereo but the head unit is made by sanyo.

hyperslug

Reaction score
I will try a $9 Kensington noise suppressor I found on Amazon and use it on the 3mm jack as suggested. I'll report back if that works. Thanks!

TexasSilhouette

Reaction score
The cable is marked on the phone end indicating you should not plug it directly into your phone. The charger end marked indicating you should not plug it into your PC.

MrCatPC

Reaction score
Curiosity: Does the D4 navigation dock detach from its included suction mount via the "T prong" plastic notches & tabs that prior docks used to connect the base to the back of the dock? I detach my R2-D2 (Droid 2) Motorola car dock from its original suction cup mount and articulating arm to connect the dock unit directly to my ProClip dash mount base instead. Then I alternately use the suction cup mount as a Low-Fi movie player by sticking it to the underside of our sunroof for longer car trips (our kids don't care about the screen size... yet). But that's all with the D2 Moto vehicle dock accessory, and I'm unable to find a disassembled or rearview photo of the new dock so far online. Droid 4 is my next phone upgrade most likely. Thanks if you can describe!

And very good note on the new cabling situation & possible pitfalls. That makes a big difference in how I have spare USB & audio cables running along headliner to where we use the sunroof so creatively. :)K

Briano

Reaction score
Looking for some assistance.
I recently bought and LOVE the Droid 4 Navigation Mount, with the two in one cables through Amazon. I can not seem to get the audio for phone calls to work through my stereo (although for MP3s and Pandora it works perfectly). I feel like this must be a settings issue from reading everyone else's great comments about the product. The people at my local Verizon store have not been any help (since they only seem to know and push the Droid Razor lately) so I'm hoping to get some help from so obvious Droid 4 fans!
Let me know if any of you have any advise. THanks!!

MrCatPC

Reaction score
Precisely kicking a mostly dead horse...

Hey, all, here I am again with a specific question as I sit with VZW shopping cart for the Droid 4 XT894 ready to order, Amazon accessories from all over, and sketchy advice from ProClip-USA's chat session today:

Precautionary disclosure, linking to off-site products for reference here...

This is the ProClip Ball Mount Adapter Plate Item # 215547.

This is the Motorola Navigation Dock for Droid 4, Model # 89538N, which includes the paired USB/audio cable mentioned earlier in this thread.

The goal I have is this: Attach the OEM Moto Nav Dock to my existing ProClip device mount system, in place of the Droid 2 Car Dock setup I currently have attached to the mounting bracket, in my Chevy rig. If I'm on the right track, I hope this is possible. Here's what I did originally with my Droid 2 and have basically docked the old dying R2D2 unit for a few years now on daily basis with normal wear, and it's worked RELIABLY until I've finally reached EOL (end of life) for R2D2 and must abandon the old device for newer Droid goodness. I purchased a baseplate mounting bracket, tilt-swivel adapter, and male/female "move plate" adapters, along with a dual T-prong device adapter, from ProClip, circa May 2011...

See also:

Item Description​

Item No.​

Unit Price​

Qty.​

Total​

Move Clip Kit (1 Male and 1 Female Plate)​

213093​

USD $9.99​

1​

USD $9.99​

ProClip Angled Mount
2006-2012 Chevrolet HHR​

853700​

USD $29.99​

1​

USD $29.99​

2 Prong Adapter Plate with Tilt Swivel for Original Motorola Car Docks
Motorola Droid 2 (Verizon)​

215199D​

USD $34.99​

1​

USD $34.99​

...from my original order, no less!

That apparatus was connected then as a base mount (in place of the standard Motorola OEM suction cup and articulating arm) for the Droid/Droid2 Car Dock, which attaches with a dual T-prong interface against a small square plate that is joined to a ball socket at the end of the suction mount arm. I hope I'm illustrating that well enough, but simply put I decapitated the car dock at the prongs (it just slides up/off the plate), set the suction cup and arm from the dock aside, and the dock itself slid snugly onto the setup from ProClip. Sweet stuff, IMHO, and defiinitely met my need to compulsively do this "unlock the car & dock the phone" or "undock the phone & lock the car" routine everytime I get in/out of the driver seat. dancedroid

So now we come to the present issue. ProClip has no dock on-hand from Motorola of the new Droid 4 variety to verify compatibility with their ball mount adapter, and their in-house solution is promoting a generic/universal dock that has zero to do with joining audio+USB charging, activiating Nav Mode, or really doing anything special other than holding the device with/without charging. Less than ideal for my purposes.

Meanwhile I can find no source so far online with measurement of the BACK portion of Motorola's Droid 4 Nav Dock, the magic socket hiding behind every photo I can see shows me only that it IS a ball+socket joint attaching dock to arm, but certainly no dimensions listed for that detail.

How about the short version then: Anyone able to certify that the OEM Motorola Nav Dock for Droid 4 terminates at the back of the dock with a 17mm diameter ball/socket joint? ...there, why didn't I just post that instead of boring everyone to tears?

You know I gotta research the BLEEP out these technical issues before I go make a purchase [self-edited], right? I just thought after the Droid 4 has been in the wild for this long that certainly somebody out there is in the same boat with this stuff. No? I'm probably all alone on this one. Time to be brave I guess!

I can take a picture of the current arrangment in use for my Droid 2, if that also helps to illustrate.

OH, and @Briano: Soon as I have my setup in place I'll gladly help with the audio issue if I can replicate it--I think I have an idea what you're saying, sorry I haven't been on the forums since, like, my post two spots before this, I think. :biggrin:

EDIT: Adding in a cross-link back to here, thanking @cmorty72 for another clue toward solving my mystery! ...details to follow...

EDIT[SUP]2[/SUP]: Plugged a picture into the public album for reference, and now I'm plugging it here (see the cross-linked thread per above note)... next post will be a new thread to show off the dock & mount makeover from Droid2 to Droid4, if all goes as planned. Confidently ordering the parts tonight ...and then plugging (myself) into sleep! Techies gotta recharge too sometimes :)K

Last edited:

MrCatPC

Reaction score
The dock is sweet, as is the Droid 4 ... but I agree: no joy with speakerphone automatically through usb/audio combo cable. Will hunt around and keep you posted on a solution, I HOPE!

Update 9/24/2013: Just now on a docked speakerphone call I pushed speakerphone button & it toggled off with very faint conversation audio coming through car stereo via combo audio+USB cable... but joy short-lived after adjusting stereo volume & handset volume the call was clear & loud both ways for a few seconds before dropping out to the built-in ear speaker.

I have "hearing aide compatibility" enabled so that might be a factor. Hoping for an app/hack to force this as it's main purpose of my dock for biz calls, all media audio is entertainment except for heavy spoken turn-by-turn Nav use...

Also note now touching the onscreen keyboard is popping my speakers like a mic check. :)K

Last edited: