Audio static from the Droid 4 Vehicle Navigation Dock USB cable attachment?

r314bd

Reaction score
I've had the Droid 4 vehicle navigation dock for a couple weeks and I've noticed that when using the included USB audio/power cable, my car speakers have a lot of static/distortion at louder parts of songs; I don't have that problem if I connect it via the 3.5mm jack.

I used to have the static problem with the 3.5mm jack as well but realized that if the phone media volume was set lower than around 70%, then it's fine. Unfortunately when the USB audio cable is used, the phone media volume settings don't change the volume and I have to use my car volume knob instead.

Anyone else having this problem? Is there a way to lower the volume from the phone itself when using the USB cable for audio? I'm guessing that's probably the culprit.

Last edited:

bluebanzai

Reaction score
I actually noticed this today both on a call and playing music but only because the volume was so loud I think it was affecting the connection of the 3.5mm jack plugged into the AUX input on my car. Check the connection there because I noticed the static going over rough bumps in the pavement. Maybe try a different cable between the Motorola Y cable and the car's input.

joncarwash

Reaction score
I've had the Droid 4 vehicle navigation dock for a couple weeks and I've noticed that when using the included USB audio/power cable, my car speakers have a lot of static at louder parts of songs; I don't have that problem if I connect it via the 3.5mm jack.

I used to have the static problem with the 3.5mm jack as well but realized that if the phone media volume was set lower than around 70%, then it's fine. Unfortunately when the USB audio cable is used, the phone media volume settings don't change the volume and I have to use my car volume knob instead.

Anyone else having this problem? Is there a way to lower the volume from the phone itself when using the USB cable for audio? I'm guessing that's probably the culprit.

If you use Tasker you can set up a profile to automatically set the media volume to a lower level when in the car dock.

Also, in my car (07 Mazda 3) I had an issue with interference in the auxiliary input with a transformer plugged into one of the outlets (particularly noticeable when using a power inverter to plug in a normal AC device, like a laptop). I needed to buy a Ground Loop Noise Isolator (cost about $18 from Crutchfield) that got rid of that interference. I believe it was because the auxiliary input and power jacks were on the same power circuit. Unsure if this has anything to do with your problem but it may not hurt (and is not all that expensive to try).

OP
r314bd

r314bd

Reaction score
If you use Tasker you can set up a profile to automatically set the media volume to a lower level when in the car dock.
Adjusting the media volume on the phone doesn't affect the output volume when using the USB cable. It only affects the volume if using a 3.5mm cable.

hyperslug

Reaction score
USB Buzz

I'm having the same problem, anytime there is power from Motorola car mount or just a plain power cord into the USB jack I get buzzing through my car stereo. I just ordered a $9 Kensington noise suppressor from Amazon and will try it on my 3.5mm cord and report back.

Last edited:

R2D|2OID

Reaction score
No buzzing from mine.. but if this starts happening to me I am going to be quite angry considering the dock was $60

hyperslug

Reaction score
I doubt the buzzing has anything to do with the dock but the car audio.

The Kensington interference cable mentioned above did fix my issue, no more buzzing for me. ):

silvereagle1988

Reaction score
I've had the Droid 4 vehicle navigation dock for a couple weeks and I've noticed that when using the included USB audio/power cable, my car speakers have a lot of static/distortion at louder parts of songs; I don't have that problem if I connect it via the 3.5mm jack.

I was using the headphone jack and using a cable to the aux input jack in my car. I connected the phone to the car charger and plugged it into the cigarette lighter/aux charger input. Whenever I was listening to Pandora or music from SD card while the car was running I was getting static and general noises from the car engine. If I unhooked the car charger the noise would go away but when plugged back in the noise would return.

I went to my local Verizon store and they said that Verizon did not have a filter for this problem.

I went to Radio Shack and they have a product that costs about $3 to cure this problem. It is called a "Snap choke Core". It is a little piece of plastic that snaps over your car charger cable. Two come in a package. Two were needed on one car charger cable. There is no rewiring or anything... just a simple snap of plastic.

It helps prevent electric magnetic interference (EMI) and radio frequency interference (RFI). It snaps over the coax, audio or AC Cord.

I got a18x29 5x5 5mm ferrite core.

The Radio Shack bar code is 0 40293 64760 6

Kevrox

Reaction score
This is usually a ground loop problem. It will be at it's worst when you have 2 devices (say the phone and an FM modulator) using the same charging/power circuit. It is very common when using a splitter to increase the number of 12V outlets. To make it really clean, hardwire a 12V socket or a USB charging socket to the "accy" (accessory) in your fuse panel. Use this one for the phone/music source.