Wanted: Vehicle Dock for Droid 4

Websquad

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 6 +
I really like the standard "Navigation" app that came with my Droid 4, so much so that my old Magellen Roadmate is going to be listed on Craigslist.

However, I want a vehicle dock for it that will allow me to plug in my charger (via mini-USB port) and have a suction cup to fit on the dash board.

Any suggestions?

vatothe0

Reaction score
I bought a universal one from verizon and it's great. Fits any phone which was important since I'd already bought 2 for different phones and refused to buy a third that only works with one device.

It had the suction cup and uses a clamp to hold the phone. Only works in portrait orientation though.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

OP
Websquad

Websquad

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 6 +
I bought a universal one from Verizon and it's great. ... Only works in portrait orientation though.
Could only find one on the Verizon website that was obliquely advertised as working with the Droid 4. But when I got to the detailed web page, it said it would not work with the Droid 4. Must have not been the same one you have since it works only in landscape mode.

Any other ideas?

orange93

Reaction score
here is a link that shows all the car docks for droid, and then the reviews. this site compares the pros and the cons. I use the IOttie because it will hold my phone with the otterbox case which bulks up my phone quite a bit so its nice that i don't have to take off the case to attach it to the dock.

Amazon.com: droid4

OP
Websquad

Websquad

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 6 +
Went with Motorola Vehicle Navigation Doc

Life just got simpler. My youngest son just gave me a $100 Amazon Gift Card, so I ordered the Motorola Vehicle Docking device from Amazon.com ... I should have it by the end of the week. At $60 it was a 'tad pricy, but it will replace my old dedicated GPS system, and provide much more capabilities as a bonus.

Thanks for all your input!
Capture.PNG

schatzy62

Reaction score
Purchased the Motorola Droid 4 Vehicle Docking Station. Can be purchased at Verizon stores or direct from Motorola for $59.99. P/N 89538N or SKU 723755668638

Motorola Droid 4 XT894 OEM Vehicle Navigation Dock -TheCellGuru.com
[URL]http://www.motorola.com/Consumers/US-EN/Consumer-Product-and-Services/Mobile+Phone+Accessories/Car-Accessories/Car-Mounts/DROID-Phone-Holder-US-EN

[/URL]
Thing is it does not actually come with a charger or cable for charging. This is a separate item which has a cable that will only charge the phone. It does come with a 3.5mm audio cable so that you can plug the phone into a jack on your car radio but you have to plug and unplug that cable from the phone every time you need to take the phone with you. Seems kind of crazy right. Well there is a separate cable available that has a micro sub end and a USB a end with a pigtail off of it with a 3.5mm audio cable jack on it so that you only have to put the phone in the dock and you can leave the USB and Audio cables alone and not have to touch them.

The part number for the special cable is SKN6394A and can only be ordered thru Motorola (866-249-6686) at a cost of $19.99 plus shipping and tax.

I have the car dock hooked up in my car right now with a generic charger pluged into the back of it and awaiting the special cable.

Will report back when i get the cable.

BTW this DROID 4 is AWESOME, Love the keyboard.

schatzy62

Reaction score
Missed that you had actually purchased it. But when you get it you will find the OEM Car Dock Application is very limited. I suggest you take a look at "CarHome Ultra" on the android market. I really like that application and it will do a lot more than the OEM built in app. There are also other apps that do similar things for use in the car.

BTW for those of you not using the OEM dock if you use the "Smart Actions" you should be able to set up an automatic way of starting the Car Dock Application.

Life just got simpler. My youngest son just gave me a $100 Amazon Gift Card, so I ordered the Motorola Vehicle Docking device from Amazon.com ... I should have it by the end of the week. At $60 it was a 'tad pricy, but it will replace my old dedicated GPS system, and provide much more capabilities as a bonus.

Thanks for all your input!

OP
Websquad

Websquad

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 6 +
For better or worse .....

For better or worse I received the Motorola Vehicle Navigation Dock from amazon.com yesterday (Saturday). The "instruction" manual that came with it was almost useless - three pages (in English) measuring about 3"x4" in what appears to be 6-point type. Bah Humbug! Had to figure out most of it on my own.

Apparently, since I'm not using a rubber sleeve around the edges of the phone, there is a little plastic thingee that acts as a spacer to make the D4 fit very nicely into the cradle. Even without the power cable plugged in, when you install the phone in the cradle you get a menu "VEHICLE HOME" with four options: Navigation, Calling, Voice Search, and Music. This must be a "Smart Action" that is a built-in default -- it was not on the Smart Actions menu.

The device came equipped with a USB to micro-USB cable; the full-size USB cable end had a short (3") pigtail that will interface with your car radio's aux input (if you have one) -- a 3.5mm - 3.5mm patch cable is provided to complete the hookup; alas, my old Toyota Matrix's radio has no aux input.

The actual auto cigarette lighter power plug has two USB sockets. The power plug from the Dock fits into either. I could not tell the difference, so I assume they are both the same, and would like to be advised if one should be used and the other should not be used.

I'm about to take it out to the car for a test drive. Wish me luck!

4low4fun

Reaction score
My jeep has a combo CD/cassette stereo. I just bought a $10 cassette adapter and plug that in for audio. Works great! the phone does so well with multi tasking it easily plays Pandora while running Google navigation. Best part is Google navigation automatically pauses Pandora when it needs to tell you to turn or other directions.

For those with the ics leak. You must start navigation while the phone is docked.. if you try and start nav then dock the vehicle home pops up and when you try and switch back to nav all you get is a black screen... but starting navigation while docked solves all the multi tasking problems for whatever reason...

OP
Websquad

Websquad

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 6 +
Details, Please !!

My jeep has a combo CD/cassette stereo. I just bought a $10 cassette adapter and plug that in for audio. Works great! ...
Where did you get the CD/cassette stereo adapter?

schatzy62

Reaction score
For better or worse I received the Motorola Vehicle Navigation Dock from amazon.com yesterday (Saturday). The "instruction" manual that came with it was almost useless - three pages (in English) measuring about 3"x4" in what appears to be 6-point type. Bah Humbug! Had to figure out most of it on my own.
All the products purchased to day come with very little in the way of instructions. I wish this would change but all manufacturers are having to save money some how so they put all the info on line where you cant find it.

Apparently, since I'm not using a rubber sleeve around the edges of the phone, there is a little plastic thingee that acts as a spacer to make the D4 fit very nicely into the cradle.
Motorola is great about this kind of thing, none of the other manufacturers that have OEM car docks have such a system, you have to remove the cases before inserting your phone into the car dock.

Even without the power cable plugged in, when you install the phone in the cradle you get a menu "VEHICLE HOME" with four options: Navigation, Calling, Voice Search, and Music. This must be a "Smart Action" that is a built-in default -- it was not on the Smart Actions menu.
this is NOT part of the Smart Actions function it is par of Motorola's Docking Station Function which is totaly separate of smart actions. This function has been around for many years with their smart phones. There are MUCH BETTER car dock applications in the App Store. I like Ultra CarHome the best as it is the most cusomizable out there and is well supported by the author.

The device came equipped with a USB to micro-USB cable; the full-size USB cable end had a short (3") pigtail that will interface with your car radio's aux input (if you have one) -- a 3.5mm - 3.5mm patch cable is provided to complete the hookup; alas, my old Toyota Matrix's radio has no aux input.
you are lucky that you got all the [/quote]Wish the one that Verizon was selling came with that cable but in the end i was able to get one from Motorola for free just by complaining.

The actual auto cigarette lighter power plug has two USB sockets. The power plug from the Dock fits into either. I could not tell the difference, so I assume they are both the same, and would like to be advised if one should be used and the other should not be used.
There is not difference between the USB ports on the lighter plug they are connected together on the inside so both provide the same power.

I'm about to take it out to the car for a test drive. Wish me luck!
How did you test drive go. I personally will not do with out the OEM dock. It just makes it so much easier to use.

I also set up a Smart Action to automatically turn on the Bluetooth and GPS so that both are fully active when i need them for calling or for navigation. It also sets the screen brightness for 100% so that the screen is visible during the day. I still have to work on the night time brightness selection thru the Smart Actions App.

OP
Websquad

Websquad

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 6 +
How did you test drive go.
The test drive was not as smooth as I wanted. My previous GBS navigator, a Magellian Roadmate, had a device adapter that, when the suction cup was fastened to the utility tray between the two front seats in my Matrix, sat tall enough so I could see the screen. The Motorola sits much shorter -- indeed, so short that the emergency break handle blocks the view of the screen. Having said that, I don't blame Motorola: it wasn't designed for that. Indeed, all the advertising photos show it oriented as if attached to the windshield of the car, not on the utility tray between the seats.

Next time out I'll fasten it to the windshield.

I'll have to try the software you recommended.... in the app store is that "Car Home Ultra" ??

schatzy62

Reaction score
I believe at one time the Magellan units used a ball and socket on their mount and if so it might just fit the OEM mount and give you the height you need. Worth a look at least. I have mine mounted on a custom mount I made up so it is right next to the steering wheel. I can get some picture tomorrow and post them here.

Car home Ultra - 30 trial fully functional - https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=spinninghead.carhome&feature=nav_result#?t=W251bGwsMSwxLDMsInNwaW5uaW5naGVhZC5jYXJob21lIl0.

L
icense is $1.99 USA - https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=spinninghead.carhome&feature=nav_result#?t=W251bGwsMSwxLDMsInNwaW5uaW5naGVhZC5jYXJob21lIl0.