Wanted: Vehicle Dock for Droid 4

Discussion in 'Droid 4 Accessories' started by Websquad, May 26, 2012.

1. schatzy62

schatzy62 Member

Ratings:
    +1
    All the products purchased to day come with very little in the way of instructions. I wish this would change but all manufacturers are having to save money some how so they put all the info on line where you cant find it.

Motorola is great about this kind of thing, none of the other manufacturers that have OEM car docks have such a system, you have to remove the cases before inserting your phone into the car dock.

this is NOT part of the Smart Actions function it is par of Motorola's Docking Station Function which is totaly separate of smart actions. This function has been around for many years with their smart phones. There are MUCH BETTER car dock applications in the App Store. I like Ultra CarHome the best as it is the most cusomizable out there and is well supported by the author.

you are lucky that you got all the [/quote]Wish the one that Verizon was selling came with that cable but in the end i was able to get one from Motorola for free just by complaining.

There is not difference between the USB ports on the lighter plug they are connected together on the inside so both provide the same power.

How did you test drive go. I personally will not do with out the OEM dock. It just makes it so much easier to use.

I also set up a Smart Action to automatically turn on the Bluetooth and GPS so that both are fully active when i need them for calling or for navigation. It also sets the screen brightness for 100% so that the screen is visible during the day. I still have to work on the night time brightness selection thru the Smart Actions App.

2. Websquad

Websquad Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Current Phone Model:
    iPhone 6 +
    The test drive was not as smooth as I wanted. My previous GBS navigator, a Magellian Roadmate, had a device adapter that, when the suction cup was fastened to the utility tray between the two front seats in my Matrix, sat tall enough so I could see the screen. The Motorola sits much shorter -- indeed, so short that the emergency break handle blocks the view of the screen. Having said that, I don't blame Motorola: it wasn't designed for that. Indeed, all the advertising photos show it oriented as if attached to the windshield of the car, not on the utility tray between the seats.

Next time out I'll fasten it to the windshield.

I'll have to try the software you recommended.... in the app store is that "Car Home Ultra" ??

3. schatzy62

schatzy62 Member

Ratings:
    +1
    I believe at one time the Magellan units used a ball and socket on their mount and if so it might just fit the OEM mount and give you the height you need. Worth a look at least. I have mine mounted on a custom mount I made up so it is right next to the steering wheel. I can get some picture tomorrow and post them here.

Car home Ultra - 30 trial fully functional - https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=spinninghead.carhome&feature=nav_result#?t=W251bGwsMSwxLDMsInNwaW5uaW5naGVhZC5jYXJob21lIl0.

L
    icense is $1.99 USA - https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=spinninghead.carhome&feature=nav_result#?t=W251bGwsMSwxLDMsInNwaW5uaW5naGVhZC5jYXJob21lIl0.

4. Websquad

Websquad Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Current Phone Model:
    iPhone 6 +
    We've always heard that there is no dumb question. Well, I'm a recent refugee from RIM's Blackberry World and new to 'Droid, so here is one: the only way I've loaded new apps is from the app store. If I download a 'Droid app to my desktop, how do I install it on my Droid 4?

5. schatzy62

schatzy62 Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Never a dumb question just one you dont know the answer to until you ask.

Here is a tutorial page on ways to install apps.

3 Ways to Install Applications On Android Without The Market

6. Websquad

Websquad Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Current Phone Model:
    iPhone 6 +
    Outstanding. Thanks, Shatzy62. Perhaps I became spoiled with all the on-line documentation and books and such during my 4 1/2 years in the Blackberry world, which, alas, is in sad decline. FWISW, I'm most pleased with my Droid 4, and would not go back.

7. Waterbeds1

Waterbeds1 New Member

Ratings:
    +0
  8. orange93

orange93 Member

Ratings:
    +0
  9. Websquad

Websquad Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Current Phone Model:
    iPhone 6 +
    I have one, except I paid $20 more than you did (you lucky duck!) .... have only had it mounted for about an hour at a time, but tomorrow night I'll have it up for 3-4 hours. FWIIW, mine is for a Droid 4, but I suspect the mounting hardware is the same; the cell phone, however, is heaver with the D4 (I think). I dampen my finger and run it around the section pad -- then flip the lever. That sucker os ON the windshield. Caution: it may leave a little faint ring on the windshield if there is any dust on the windshield (yikes, I need a car wash!); once you dismount you'll want to wipe that clean, because it says to some dope-head "break in this care: there is a GPS unit therein and with it you can score a hit."

10. 4low4fun

4low4fun Member

Ratings:
    +7
    Hopefully you have a RAZR.. but yes I have the same dock only the D4 version and it works great. No matter how hot it gets inside my car its never fallen off. And I frequently get in my jeep with my radar detector just hanging by the cord haha

11. schatzy62

schatzy62 Member

Ratings:
    +1
    As another person has said Hope you have a Razr as the dock for the Razr and the D4 are very different. The D4 will NOT work with a Razr dock.

12. Nasa

Nasa Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I'm switching to a universal cradle from Wilson with a cell phone repeater and and Wilson Trucker antenna. Good suction cup and an assortment of stick on and clips for most any installation.

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk 2

Search tags for this page
droid 3 car mount work with droid 4

droid 4 car dock

droid 4 car docking station verizon
droid bionic gps dock droid 4
help with vehicle navigation dock for droid 4
motorola droid 4 car dock
oem motorola vehicle navigation dock with audio cable for mo
verizon droid 4 navagation dock
what motorola car docks will fit a droid4
what navigation came standard with droid 4