Vehicle Navigation Dock IMPORTANT!

bluebanzai

Reaction score
Hey guys. I just received my Droid 4 and I am super excited to really delve into using it.

I wanted to give everyone a heads up about the differences of getting your car dock from Verizon versus getting it from Amazon or Motorola. Beware!

attachment.php

Navigation Mount (Part#: MOTDRD4MNT) vs Vehicle Navigation Dock (Part#: 89538N)

I'm not usually a car dock guy but this one is fantastic. Some info up front is key if you're looking to get it, though. Some of you may already know this but the differences are great between the Verizon packaged and the Motorola packaged units and for me it's worth spending an extra $20 just to save the hassle! Really the only differences come in the cables and charger included. Look here:
attachment.php

What this means if you look closely is that this single cable goes from your charger into the dock. It also branches off to the audio output used in your car. This makes a world of difference if you are using the audio out to your car's audio system! Otherwise you have to plug in the 3.5mm jack every time you cradle.

With the non-Verizon Motorola branded kit you only have to cradle it and all your cables can be static! No plugging! Also the charger is much higher quality.

Of course if you don't use the audio or use Bluetooth for audio then it only comes down to the charger supplied. Either way a great way to keep your phone charged and visible if you're in the car a lot!

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0068W6MTC

http://www.motorola.com/Consumers/U...ries/Car-Mounts/Vehicle-Dock-for-DROID4-US-EN

http://www.verizonwireless.com/b2c/store/accessory?action=accessoryDetails&archetypeId=12989&accessoryId=50275

Last edited:

joncarwash

Reaction score
I noticed this as well and contacted Verizon just to confirm the Nav Mount they are selling on the web does not come with cables, and they confirmed that fact (it's the mount only). I just ordered the mount (plus cables) from Amazon due to this fact because I find the USB cable + 3.5mm audio jack to be a nice feature (my car doesn't have built-in bluetooth, so I've been using a bluetooth/FM transmitter so as not to have to plug in another cord to the phone every time). I'm also excited about being able to leave the cords plugged into the mount instead of having to mount the phone and then plug in cord(s) each time.

Another feature that I didn't have with the OG Droid car mount is that the mount can accommodate the phone in a case: (see step 1) https://motorola-global-portal.cust...sion/L3RpbWUvMTMyOTMyMDU0Ny9zaWQvc3JRcGpNUWs= - not sure if this is standard now, but one reason I avoided a case with my OG Droid was so that I could use the docks (I used a sleeve, which was kind of annoying as it required removal every time). Now I just leave my Droid 4 in the case and it works very well.

r314bd

Reaction score
Thanks for posting this. I bought the $40 dock from the Verizon Store but I'll be returning it. Firstly, as you mentioned it doesn't come with the power cable but I figured I could use the same cables I was using for my D1 car dock. Turns out the hole for the 3.5mm audio cable on the side of the mount only supports really narrow connectors like this...whereas my cable (and most headphones) have a connector like this. So I would have had to buy a recessed connector adapter and car usb charging adapter which would've made the price close to $60 anyway...and I would still need to connect the audio cable every time I plugged in my phone.

zertsman

Reaction score
I got the doc from the verizon store and am very happy, but i use a2dp for my audio and hands free.

The 100 dollar radio i put in the car was the best i did in a long time. Bt rules!

Correct in no power cable, but came with audio cable.

The doc is very well made. 100x better than the nount i had for my X.

Sent from my DROID4 using DroidForums

Kack

Reaction score
Bluetooth stereo does rule. I put one in my work truck last year and it is so nice for long drives when there are no decent radio stations.
Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk

Brandon314159

Reaction score
Anyone know if this car dock would support the Otter-Box case that Amazon is offering currently?

Amazon.com: Otterbox MOT4-DROD4-20-E4OTR Commuter Case for Motorola Droid 4 - 1 Pack - Retail Packaging - Black: Cell Phones & Accessories

I used to run the Seidio case/car & home docking stations w/ my OG Droid...but they haven't even listed any cases available for the Droid 4 yet.

If Motorola has stepped up and this dock works with an otter-box case (one of the few available currently online it seems) then I am DOWN! The audio cable capability is awesome-sausage.

Thanks!

aashiqs76

Reaction score
It does. I've been using the commuter case and the nav dock since I bought the phone. One thing to remember is that there is a plastic inside of the nav dock that you have to remove in order to fit the phone with thr case.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using DroidForums

joncarwash

Reaction score
Received my car mount over the weekend and LOVE it so far:

- Suction cup is much more effective than the one for the OG Droid (which seemed to fall off the windshield relatively often).
- Mount is well built (again, some improvement in quality over OG Droid mount).
- Not sure if others have noted, but the mount does NOT block the rear facing camera (or forward facing one for that matter), incase you wanted to utilize those while driving.
- Easily fits phone while in case (like others have noted there is an insert included, just don't install it and there is room for the phone with case): I just got a generic plastic/rubber case when buying the phone.
- Holds phone well: again, improvement over OG Droid, which held in only a couple of spots. The phone sits down on the micro USB plug, has a good fit around the bottom & lower half of outsides, and the clip to lock in on top works great.
- (IMHO Best feature) the USB + 3.5mm audio cable works like a charm: no fooling with bluetooth or separate FM transmitter or separate plug into the phone, just drop it in, clip it, and it's ready to go with just 1 cable coming off of the device.

I'd highly recommend this to anyone wanting to use their Droid 4 in the car.

r314bd

Reaction score
- (IMHO Best feature) the USB + 3.5mm audio cable works like a charm: no fooling with bluetooth or separate FM transmitter or separate plug into the phone, just drop it in, clip it, and it's ready to go with just 1 cable coming off of the device.
I'm really looking forward to this

R2D|2OID

Reaction score
Great, I'm happy to hear such a positive review. I will be ordering one this week!

Noodle360

Reaction score
Ill take my blue tooth over the 3.5 plug any day. In my truck the mount sits kind of far from me, so switching songs would be a struggle while driving... with my BT I can use my remote for the radio to skip and search for songs... also the song scrolls across the radio screen, and looks quite nice, also handy because I can have the music playing then have the Nav up. I can use the remote to switch songs vs having to back out of the nav, bring up the music, skip how ever many songs, then back out of the music and and bring back up the Nav. all while driving.

You can keep your fancy 2 in 1 plug. :icon_ lala:

joncarwash

Reaction score
Ill take my blue tooth over the 3.5 plug any day. In my truck the mount sits kind of far from me, so switching songs would be a struggle while driving... with my BT I can use my remote for the radio to skip and search for songs... also the song scrolls across the radio screen, and looks quite nice, also handy because I can have the music playing then have the Nav up. I can use the remote to switch songs vs having to back out of the nav, bring up the music, skip how ever many songs, then back out of the music and and bring back up the Nav. all while driving.

You can keep your fancy 2 in 1 plug. :icon_ lala:

I can definitely see Bluetooth working for some, especially those with Bluetooth built into their vehicle, but I was just giving the advantage of the dock with cables for those like me without built in Bluetooth (and who don't want to pony up for either a new car or new stereo & installation). For those who prefer Bluetooth, I'd still recommend the dock without cables (available from Verizon for $40). Either way, the dock itself is still worth it.

Noodle360

Reaction score
I can definitely see Bluetooth working for some, especially those with Bluetooth built into their vehicle, but I was just giving the advantage of the dock with cables for those like me without built in Bluetooth (and who don't want to pony up for either a new caror new stereo & installation). For those who prefer Bluetooth, I'd still recommend the dock without cables (available from Verizon for $40). Either way, the dock itself is still worth it.

Sorry I should have said but that was geared toward the "no fooling with bluetooth" comment you made. Didn't mean anything by it, just having some fun... way you said that made it sound like even if you had bluetooth in your car it was a hassle to set up or use everytime. Took me less then 5 minuetsto set up and now when ever I set my phone in the dock it connects automatically.

Like I said was just having fun, no harm ment :D