Vehicle Navigation Dock IMPORTANT!

joncarwash

Reaction score
Sorry I should have said but that was geared toward the "no fooling with bluetooth" comment you made. Didn't mean anything by it, just having some fun... way you said that made it sound like even if you had bluetooth in your car it was a hassle to set up or use everytime. Took me less then 5 minuetsto set up and now when ever I set my phone in the dock it connects automatically.

Like I said was just having fun, no harm ment :D

No problem. The reason I said it is because I don't have built in Bluetooth, so I have a combo Bluetooth receiver/FM transmitter that I was using with my OG Droid. It worked well, but it was an extra step or two to turn on and set, and I am admittedly lazy!

Brandon314159

Reaction score
So,

As I suspected, the Otterbox commuter case for the Droid 4 will NOT fit into the car dock unless you trim the rubber bit off the bottom that is covering the USB/HDMI ports.

If you try to fold this back, the phone won't nest down in the dock and thus won't enter car mode.

And yes, I removed the plastic insert first.

The cheap $6 case that I ordered off of amazon Amazon.com: Black Rubberized Hard Case Cover for Verizon Motorola Droid 4: Cell Phones & Accessories fits just fine in the car dock.

I will be using the lesser case as my daily, and save the OtterBox for when I'm not docking.

I love the car dock otherwise. Well engineered compared to the Seidio I used to have for the Droid 1

Last edited:

Noodle360

Reaction score
So,

As I suspected, the Otterbox commuter case for the Droid 4 will NOT fit into the car dock unless you trim the rubber bit off the bottom that is covering the USB/HDMI ports.

If you try to fold this back, the phone won't nest down in the dock and thus won't enter car mode.

And yes, I removed the plastic insert first.

The cheap $6 case that I ordered off of amazon Amazon.com: Black Rubberized Hard Case Cover for Verizon Motorola Droid 4: Cell Phones & Accessories fits just fine in the car dock.

I will be using the lesser case as my daily, and save the OtterBox for when I'm not docking.

I love the car dock otherwise. Well engineered compared to the Seidio I used to have for the Droid 1

Good to know... that means I won't be getting that case... ill probably go with the case and holster combo...

Brandon314159

Reaction score
BTW for anyone interested:

Did some power supply tests with this powered dock for the Droid 4.

Adapter: Provided Cig Plug --> USB x2 Motorola Brand
Input: 12V DC Agilent DC Power Supply

Adapter w/ no Cable: 16mA
Adapter w/ Cable: 16mA
Adapter w/ Cable Plugged Into Base Unit (no phone): 18mA
Adapter w/ Cable Plugged Into Base Unit (with fully discharged phone powered on): 336mA

I'd suspect that the extra 2mA is some standby current for the technology in the docking station for the audio output (since it only connects to the USB port, not the HDMI port).

Figure useful numbers for anyone leaving this plugged in 24/7

Later,

ej0rge

Reaction score
I'd suspect that the extra 2mA is some standby current for the technology in the docking station for the audio output (since it only connects to the USB port, not the HDMI port).

My guess is that the phone knows what kind of dock is attached due to the presence of a dirt cheap eeprom in the dock, which may be where that 2ma comes from.

r314bd

Reaction score
I can confirm that my generic $5 case fits perfectly in this dock. I'm pretty sure it's the same case that Brandonπ has even though it's listed as a separate product on Amazon.

R2D|2OID

Reaction score
Does anyone know where to get this for a reasonable price? (Less than $60...)

Krzypuppy2

Reaction score
Hoping this mount will work for me...

I am switching from the Droid Pro to the Droid 4 and want to purchase a mount for my vehicle so I am able to use VZ Navigator. This will be the first mount I have used and I haven't even had the luxury of seeing a mount in someone else s car. The information on Verizon's website is very limited on this mount so I hope to find some answers here. I drive a mini van, and am wondering when the mount is attached to the windshield if I will be able to reach it.

Using a wheelchair, I drive with hand controls limiting my ability to reach much of a distance from the steering wheel since it takes two hands to control the vehicle. I am curious when attached to the windshield just how close the phone is to the driver. Verizon also has a mount that attaches to the vents but IMHO does not look to be as well made or stable as this one.

Since I have quite a bit of dash board in my van, will this mount suction onto the top of the dash? There is a flat spot that is used for holding things on the dash and I was thinking if the mount would attach to the dash and stay there this would work fantastic. The mount also needs to be on my right side so I can reach it. My left hand controls the gas and brakes, so I am unable to be messing around with a phone with that hand. :)

Thank you for any input you are able to give.

Lynn

Noodle360

Reaction score
I am switching from the Droid Pro to the Droid 4 and want to purchase a mount for my vehicle so I am able to use VZ Navigator. This will be the first mount I have used and I haven't even had the luxury of seeing a mount in someone else s car. The information on Verizon's website is very limited on this mount so I hope to find some answers here. I drive a mini van, and am wondering when the mount is attached to the windshield if I will be able to reach it.

Using a wheelchair, I drive with hand controls limiting my ability to reach much of a distance from the steering wheel since it takes two hands to control the vehicle. I am curious when attached to the windshield just how close the phone is to the driver. Verizon also has a mount that attaches to the vents but IMHO does not look to be as well made or stable as this one.

Since I have quite a bit of dash board in my van, will this mount suction onto the top of the dash? There is a flat spot that is used for holding things on the dash and I was thinking if the mount would attach to the dash and stay there this would work fantastic. The mount also needs to be on my right side so I can reach it. My left hand controls the gas and brakes, so I am unable to be messing around with a phone with that hand. :)

Thank you for any input you are able to give.

Lynn

This mount should work just fine for you, mine actually came with a disk you could stick to the dash with some adesive and then stick the mount to that disk. Should work for you that way :)

Also my pure gear case fits awesome in this thing!

natertots

Reaction score

As Noodle mentioned, it comes with a stick-on mount that would work perfectly for the location you mention. Shouldn't have any problems!

want to purchase a mount for my vehicle so I am able to use VZ Navigator

I may be missing a benefit, but why on earth would you pay for VZ navigator when google navigation is included on the device and is completely free?
I'd definitely recommend dropping that from your bill if you're currently paying for it.

Cheers.

Noodle360

Reaction score
I may be missing a benefit, but why on earth would you pay for VZ navigator when google navigation is included on the device and is completely free?
I'd definitely recommend dropping that from your bill if you're currently paying for it.

Cheers.

Whoa i didnt even catch that! Yes ditch the paid apps, theres very few (and i mean very few) apps ill pay for, theres usually a just as good free counterpart :)

hyperslug

Reaction score
buzz audio

I don't have bluetooth so use the audio plug and the buzzing i get out of my car audio makes it unusable. I tried using the 3.5mm plug but the mount auto switches to usb and the buzz continues. I will do more tesring to clarify. Anybody having this issue?issuing