upgrading ota to ics with rooted razr problems galore...please help

whiteninjazx6r

Reaction score
I rooted my phone a few months ago to try out a rom of ics, all went fine. I went back to stock rom about 2 months ago. I received the notification that i would be receiving theirs update soon. I downloaded it last night. I went to install this morning, and after it rebooted and showed the android unpacking. A bit later it boots back into GB and says the update failed. Ive tried this 3 times now. Could this be from having my phone rooted? I tried doing a factory reset and and it says my phone is up 2 date... but obviously it isn't. I can't figure this out, is always updated without a hitch before... thanks in advance any help.

OP
W

whiteninjazx6r

Reaction score
Hmmm, I thought about it street I started the process, but no I did not unroot first. I will try this for sure. Im guttering I just use the root software that I used to root it? Also...I don't have the option to download or install the update now...what about that? Thanks.

Sydman

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P
How did you go back to stock the last time? And being rooted should not matter, worst case you would just have to root again after the update.

OP
W

whiteninjazx6r

Reaction score
How did you go back to stock the last time? And being rooted should not matter, worst case you would just have to root again after the update.

I believe I just did a recovery of my backup...I also just used the Droid RAZR Utility 1.42 to root. I tried using that same app on Windows to unroot (I am not sure it worked, as I still have superuser app on my phone. I am getting lost here...)

dbitt59

Reaction score
you have to be on stock 181 in order to recieve the ota update if u are not on 181 it will just say phone is up tp date, i was able to retain root with voooodo rootkeeper when ota to 4.04 but if yo have any software hacks like vzw hotspot hack the update will download but will fail when installing also u can not have safestrap installed or any leftovers from uninstalling safestrap or the install will fail.

OP
W

whiteninjazx6r

Reaction score
you have to be on stock 181 in order to recieve the ota update if u are not on 181 it will just say phone is up tp date, i was able to retain root with voooodo rootkeeper when ota to 4.04 but if yo have any software hacks like vzw hotspot hack the update will download but will fail when installing also u can not have safestrap installed or any leftovers from uninstalling safestrap or the install will fail.

Ok, I just Fastbooted back to stock 181, just to make sure (with some serious help, lol) and I am completely stock at 181...still says up to date. We'll see soon I hope.

Last edited:

dbitt59

Reaction score
its possible u will have to wait for update to push back to your phone from my personal experience doing FDR knock me off the update push and had to wait for it to push back to my phone, safestrap. u need to open app and uninstall recovery, then go to manage apps and uninstall safestrap app, i also used a file explorer to move any left over safestrap files( backups, or any safestrap related files to my removable SD card) i did not remove superuser app but i did uninstall any root related apps such as busybox, rom manager, titanium backup, ect............... had to undo vzw hotspot hack back to stock.

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
Moving to ics forum :)

DROID RAZR MAXXIMIZED!!!! PREPARE TO BE VANQUISHED!!!

OP
W

whiteninjazx6r

Reaction score
its possible u will have to wait for update to push back to your phone from my personal experience doing FDR knock me off the update push and had to wait for it to push back to my phone, safestrap. u need to open app and uninstall recovery, then go to manage apps and uninstall safestrap app, i also used a file explorer to move any left over safestrap files( backups, or any safestrap related files to my removable SD card) i did not remove superuser app but i did uninstall any root related apps such as busybox, rom manager, titanium backup, ect............... had to undo vzw hotspot hack back to stock.

Ya I am all good in those areas now. I have no root related stuff on my phone now. Although...multiple people have reported just using voodoo to keep their root after upgrading to ICS...and u can upgrade with the phone rooted...but to be safe I got rid of it all...