Upgraded to ICS, battery life is terrible, is there a fix?

rjeatkrconley

Reaction score
jstafford1 said:
* future shot*

So Mattyp how do you get all the ladies??
'Mattyp' I just offer classes on upgrading their OS...
Really?? That's it??
'Mattyp' yeah, the chicks love it when you give em an upgrade...

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk 2
Yes MattyP this should most definitely be you sig....

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
Yeah I have the Maxx ...

As far as battery meter training, you need to run the battery all the way down to 15%, it will show red in your battery meter on the notification bar.

Then turn the phone OFF completely, and charge it all the way to 100% ... a battery image will appear showing what percentage it's at. The screen will go off, but you can hit either volume button to check where it's at.

You do NOT have to do it EVERY time you charge it, but a good rule of thumb is about once a month or so. That "calibrates" the battery to the meter on your notification bar, and makes the battery behave nicely. FoxKat is the resident battery expert, that's why he dropped that reminder on me LOL :biggrin:

Actually MattyP, if you are going to be disciple of mine, you're going to have to learn... :icon_ devil:

Meter calibration for Droid RAZR & RAZR MAXX;​
  1. Power off the phone (press and hold the Power button, then select "Power off" from the pop-up menu).​
  2. Plug the Stock Motorola charger into the wall outlet, then plug the Stock Motorola USB Charging cable into the Motorola charger, and finally plug the other end of the cable into the phone.​
  3. The phone will boot itself into the "Charge Only" mode. This is identified by first the large Red M logo, followed by a large Battery icon with a "floating" level and percentage of charge in numbers.​
  4. After 10 seconds or so, the display will shut off, but the charging continues.​
  5. Allow the charger to continue uninterrupted for 3 minimum (Droid RAZR), or 5.5 hours minimum (Droid RAZR MAXX). It's OK to allow it to charge overnight in this mode. The charger will shut itself off when the maximum charge has been reached so there is no fear of "overcharging" or damaging the battery/phone.​
  6. Once charged to 100%, you may remove the phone from the charger. To check the charge level at any time during charge, briefly tap either volume up or down and release. In about 3 seconds the display will wake and show the charge level, then after 10 seconds or so will shut down again.​
  7. After the initial charge to 100% with power off, power up the phone and use normally but pay attention to the battery as it nears the "Low battery" warning (Gingerbread shows at 15%, ICS shows at 10%).​
  8. Once the phone displays the "Low battery" warning at 15% (10% ICS), repeat steps 1 through 7.​

Now you may use your phone normally. Repeat the above procedure about every 2 months for the Droid RAZR and every 2-3 months for the RAZR MAXX (more often if you are a heavy user, less often for light use).

EA.Droyd

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo, 64GB
So, did I understand that there will be no official ota release of 215? If it's true, then I to should try this upgrade as well. What are your thoughts?

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
So, did I understand that there will be no official ota release of 215? If it's true, then I to should try this upgrade as well. What are your thoughts?

I don't believe there has ben any official word one way or the other.

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk 2

lovelady33

Reaction score
I'm new here and not very smartphone smart haha. My Razr (not maxx) will not play videos now and the battery is lasting 3 - 3 1/2 at a time since the ICS update. After reading through the forums I see several people have had battery problems since the update. I'm going to do the re-charge battery thing I've been reading about. Anybody know what's going on about my videos not playing? The videos play audio but screen stays black??? Any help is appreciated, thanks.

sniperf250

Reaction score
I tried downloading it but it said user was out of bandwidth. Any other places i can get this safely?

Sent from my DROID RAZR in blue! using Droid Forums

sniperf250

Reaction score
Nevermind i got it

Tomoid

Reaction score
Where to get it from??

I am having the same results as sniperf250 in that I get the out of bandwith message. Where else can I download the file from.

sniperf250

Reaction score
Use the mirror site

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
lovelady33 said:
I'm new here and not very smartphone smart haha. My Razr (not maxx) will not play videos now and the battery is lasting 3 - 3 1/2 at a time since the ICS update. After reading through the forums I see several people have had battery problems since the update. I'm going to do the re-charge battery thing I've been reading about. Anybody know what's going on about my videos not playing? The videos play audio but screen stays black??? Any help is appreciated, thanks.

Hi LoveLady33, welcome to the forums! Definitely do the battery meter training just as FoxKat detailed a few posts above yours. But first you may want to do a factory data reset because that has fixed most everyone's other problems. I am not sure how true this is but some have mentioned that the fdr does even better if you do it from the recovery menu. FoxKat also detailed some excellent instructions for that on the thread below, post # 295 on the last page.

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-razr-maxx/215017-ics-battery-life-30.html#post2201819

Best of luck and any questions, just ask away. We're all here to help you get the most from your phone!

Sent from my DROID RAZR Maxx using Droid Forums

lovelady33

Reaction score
I did the recharge last night for my battery. It seemed to maybe help a lil. It's been off charger for 2 hours and 15 min and is already down to 50%. Maybe i need that 215 software everyone is talking about?