Upgraded to ICS, battery life is terrible, is there a fix?

lovelady33

Reaction score
TisMyDroid said:
Hi LoveLady33, welcome to the forums! Definitely do the battery meter training just as FoxKat detailed a few posts above yours. But first you may want to do a factory data reset because that has fixed most everyone's other problems. I am not sure how true this is but some have mentioned that the fdr does even better if you do it from the recovery menu. FoxKat also detailed some excellent instructions for that on the thread below, post # 295 on the last page.

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-razr-maxx/215017-ics-battery-life-30.html#post2201819

Best of luck and any questions, just ask away. We're all here to help you get the most from your phone!

Sent from my DROID RAZR Maxx using Droid Forums

Thank you!

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
lovelady33 said:
I did the recharge last night for my battery. It seemed to maybe help a lil. It's been off charger for 2 hours and 15 min and is already down to 50%. Maybe i need that 215 software everyone is talking about?

You are welcome! Sometimes it does take a few days for the battery to settle in and do better. I am actually in the process of getting everything ready for doing a .215 install myself. MattyP has been the expert on that and I believe he is preparing a sticky to be put on the support section very soon.

Sent from my DROID RAZR Maxx using Droid Forums

rjeatkrconley

Reaction score
lovelady33 said:
I did the recharge last night for my battery. It seemed to maybe help a lil. It's been off charger for 2 hours and 15 min and is already down to 50%. Maybe i need that 215 software everyone is talking about?

Howdy ma'am. As an og RAZR owner my self, I would say there is something going on for sure. I am getting excellent battery life, not razr maxx good. There might be a rouge app or some other setting that is causing the battery drain. I would definitely do as tis suggested, an do the FDR. Also make sure your phone is not set to global.

DiableDuSoleil

Reaction score
Howdy! I am a total Newb. First, I must thank Matt for the excellent listing on how to upgrade from .211 to .215. I did it last night on my Razr (sadly, not Maxx). I have been experiencing the same problem mentioned by LoveLady33. I can only go about 4-1/2 per charge. Unfortunately, it happened again this morning. The battery meter even showed that the display was only on for about 28 minutes total but it accounted for 60% of the power consumption.

I am currently following FoxKat's Battery Calibration Procedure and will also do the Factory Data Reset. I have loved this phone, but I can't handle not having my phone even make it to lunch time.

I will update if I have any luck. If not, I'll be begging for more help. I had no problem on Gingerbread, so I'd be willing to go back to it if the battery issue can't be resolved on my phone with ICS.

Thank you again for your patience and excellent instruction for us newbies.:hail:

sniperf250

Reaction score
Welcome to Droid forums i hope you can find all instruction u need for all your endeavors and if not ask for help there are plenty of people here that can help troubleshoot your problem. Again welcome

Sent from my DROID RAZR in blue! using Droid Forums

joshxdroid

Reaction score
DiableDuSoleil said:
Howdy! I am a total Newb. First, I must thank Matt for the excellent listing on how to upgrade from .211 to .215. I did it last night on my Razr (sadly, not Maxx). I have been experiencing the same problem mentioned by LoveLady33. I can only go about 4-1/2 per charge. Unfortunately, it happened again this morning. The battery meter even showed that the display was only on for about 28 minutes total but it accounted for 60% of the power consumption.

I am currently following FoxKat's Battery Calibration Procedure and will also do the Factory Data Reset. I have loved this phone, but I can't handle not having my phone even make it to lunch time.

I will update if I have any luck. If not, I'll be begging for more help. I had no problem on Gingerbread, so I'd be willing to go back to it if the battery issue can't be resolved on my phone with ICS.

Thank you again for your patience and excellent instruction for us newbies.:hail:

That's rough! I have fortunately not had as much problem as some with battery on .211 or as of last night, .215 i have been using the phone heavily this morning. Screen has been on for 2 hours 18 minutes and most of that was with marginal data connection. I usually get at least ten but usually 12 to 15 hours with normal usage for me. I definitely saw a boost after following foxcats calibration. I don't know if i can expect more from an og RAZR. I may do a FDR after a couple days if i haven't seen any.215 improvement. But us anyone getting better than me with the same usage? Petty hard to know.

DiableDuSoleil

Reaction score
Ok, here is my update:
After upgrading to .215, performing half of FoxKat's Battery Calibration Procedure (I need to still do the second charge), and performing the FDR, my phone has now been on for over 5 hours and still has 60% charge. This is with the screen being on over an hour at 85% brightness. This is a VAST improvement over what was going on, so I am hopeful.

I just hate having to do an FDR because it takes forever to get all of the apps loaded and settings adjusted. Additionally, I lose all of the text messages.

I will finish FoxKat's Calibration Procedure and see how much more it improves.

I have been seeing a lot of references in this forum to rooting your phone. What are the advantages?

Thanks!
View attachment 53515View attachment 53516

Sydman

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P
Rooting your phone gives you super user access and allows you to do whatever you like to your phone. Such as freezing bloatware, installing APPs that require root access such as Titanium Backup, adjusting your system settings to allow for the hotspot hack.

With this though comes the responsibility to know what you are doing since you don't have the safety net of them not letting you do things to mess up your phone. If something does go wrong there are of course measures to restore your phone. Still it is best to understand what you are doing before doing anything.

DiableDuSoleil

Reaction score
Thanks, Sydman!
Regarding freezing bloatware, what exactly does that mean? Could you give a couple examples of what you would consider common bloatware?

Thanks again!

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
Ok, here is my update:
After upgrading to .215, performing half of FoxKat's Battery Calibration Procedure (I need to still do the second charge), and performing the FDR, my phone has now been on for over 5 hours and still has 60% charge. This is with the screen being on over an hour at 85% brightness. This is a VAST improvement over what was going on, so I am hopeful.

I just hate having to do an FDR because it takes forever to get all of the apps loaded and settings adjusted. Additionally, I lose all of the text messages.

I will finish FoxKat's Calibration Procedure and see how much more it improves.

I have been seeing a lot of references in this forum to rooting your phone. What are the advantages?

Thanks!
View attachment 53515View attachment 53516

Of course Sydman has been doing an absolutely awesome job of giving you the best information on just about everything you need to know. He is amazing! But I surprisingly actually have something to add...

If you are unrooted, you can backup just about everything you need to back up using MyBackup and SMS Backup & Restore. MyBackup takes care of just about everything (apps, data, settings, contacts, bookmarks, call logs, mms, texts, etc. etc. etc.) and technically there is no reason to use SMS B&R but i do just because it works great and it gives you a lot more options to backup your texts than MyBackup (you can select which contacts texts you wnat and not bother with backing up ones you don't want, you can set dates, you can send to a email and view via excel, etc).

It does making doing an FDR much more stress free and doing an FDR pretty much does give you a brand new phone. Hope this helps!

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
And if you're doing an fdr... do two... it ensures a clean wipe and install.. :)