[Updated]Verizon Soon to Release Competent Competitor to Google Nav - VZ Navigator VX

Larry_ThaGr81

Reaction score
Google nav FTW! I can't see VZW disabling Google nav especially when the phones that they are selling currently have Google printed on them in partnership. They'd have a ton of explaining to do to Google. Not to mention a ton of $ to fork over. Surely their contract between each other cover such an event. If not, like Jazzy said, rooting would more than likely fix that. ;-)

Yeah I would have to agree, Google Navigator is one of those core features that Google will say you can't remove from the phone. If that's not the case, I'm sure VZW would have already removed it because they've been offering their ridiculous subscription navigator program for a while now.

I agree with kodiak799 that this could become bloatware that nonrooted users can't remove.

Larry_ThaGr81

Reaction score
I can't imagine why any one would want this.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

Agreed! But I think this might appeal to non android users who are completely in the dark about technological advances, which I'm sure there are many of out there.

Larry_ThaGr81

Reaction score
This could be appealing to many people who don't want to pay $30 bucks month for a unlimited data plan but want to have a navigation program at their finger tips. If this is true, then those people should consider taking that $120 and going out to buy a standalone navigatiion product.

Larry_ThaGr81

Reaction score
I'm just waiting for verizon to disable google nav on phones they offer. I'm hoping this is just an upgrade for phones that can't use google nav lol.

I'm sure Verizon disable Google Maps could be circumvented by rooting. :D

Yes that is true, but for the vast majority that don't root, if verizon went this route it could get annoying fast. Let's just hope they don't make that mistake, and they are more marketing it towards going against other navigation softwares. :)

This is true, but I think it could be a strong motivational factor for opening people up to the idea of rooting if they were to lose something like this that they have come to know as a standard application on android devices.

deputc26

Reaction score
VZW is absolutely clueless, I sincerely wish they would stick to worrying about having the best possible network and leave the hardware to the hardware companies and the software to the software companies. $10/month??? no informed consumer will purchase this, these MBA shenanigans will hurt their long-term prospects.

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
VZW is absolutely clueless, I sincerely wish they would stick to worrying about having the best possible network and leave the hardware to the hardware companies and the software to the software companies. $10/month??? no informed consumer will purchase this, these MBA shenanigans will hurt their long-term prospects.

A good point was made about this being potentially for non-smartphones.

Also, who knows what segment they are targeting. They could add features (such as vehicle & route tracking) and push this to logistics/enterprise segments.

I agree that it will be nearly impossible to make any real money off something that does the same things as Google Nav. I somehow doubt that's the case, at least longer-term. People get such heated reactions on here about rumors and speculation that aren't even plausible (like LTE costing double what 3G does).

captclueless

Reaction score
I'm not paying 10 bucks a month, when I already have a stand alone gps that already does nearly everything this does, but on a bigger screen. and if I ever forget it, my phone has google nav.

wierdo124

Reaction score
lol. it'll fail. not only is Gmaps more mature, but VZ can't write apps for squat. None of their apps are worth a crap.

czerdrill

Silver Member
Reaction score
lol. it'll fail. not only is Gmaps more mature, but VZ can't write apps for squat. None of their apps are worth a crap.

it'll definitely fail. verizon makes some amazing decisions when it comes to their network and hardware, but when it comes to software, you end up scratching your head.

aaf709

Nice Guy
Premium Member
Reaction score
I had VZ Navigator on my Voyager. At that time it was $3/day if you were in a city and just needed it for that day or $10/month. I don' think I'd go back to paying for that.

sarreq

Reaction score
Well said. I will buy an app from a good app dev because he made a better app than the other free ones, but this subscription bullsh*t VZW uses has got to go. Couple this stupid $10/mo for maps with the $10/mo for vCast, and they're laughing on the way to the bank.
and that's on top of the ridiculous 3g fees... thanks, no...

Mortiel

Reaction score

it'll definitely fail. verizon makes some amazing decisions when it comes to their network and hardware, but when it comes to software, you end up scratching your head.

Actually, VZ Nav is not the worst app. Its comparable to Google Nav... Except it costs way too much. This new version I could see being handy MAYBE if I installed my Galaxy Tab as a Nav system in my car and didn't care so much about money as I did about something shiny?

In my mind, Verizon is trying to keep it competitive, but you can't compete with a solid program that's free vs. $10 a month for the same thing.

VZW needs to at least make it cheaper to expect any real result.

Device: Samsung SCH-I400 Continuum

geoff5093

Reaction score
Seeing as how the iPhone doesn't have Google Nav, I wonder if they will make this for the iPhone...

deputc26

Reaction score

A good point was made about this being potentially for non-smartphones.

If this is the case then I'll dial my contempt back from level 8 to level 5.