1. You want that $100.00 in your pocket or an Amazon Fire TV don't you? Well here's the deal. With our new updated look we are in desperate need of an updated logo. The 'old' one has certainly served us well, but it's time. Find all the details here: bit.ly/1q0k6Wa
  2. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

[Updated]Verizon Soon to Release Competent Competitor to Google Nav - VZ Navigator VX

Discussion in 'Android News' started by dgstorm, Jan 28, 2011.

1. dgstorm

dgstorm Editor in Chief Staff Member Premium Member

Our sister-site, at Android.net, just found a surprising press release from Verizon about an upcoming Verizon created Navigation program that might actually give the venerable Google Nav some decent competition, at least in a few countries. It's called VZ Navigator VX and it packs some pretty incredible features if the video (above) and the press release can be believed. It does have one caveat though... it sports heavy 'Bing!' integration, and there is actually a subscription fee. I suppose whether Bing is good is relative, but it would be nice to have more choice in the matter, and I doubt people will be willing to swallow the $10 dollar per month subscription fee. Regardless, it will be good to have competition in the navigation market as it only spurs the evolution of the products. Let us know in the forums if this is something you would ever try out. Here's the full Press Release,
    Source: Verizon Wireless via Android.net
    Last edited: Jan 28, 2011
  2. Bilgediver

Bilgediver New Member

Finally VZ Navigator has become relevant in the day and age of Google Navigation.

Still hard to compare free with $10 a month, but we'll see how it pans out....
  3. LT*

LT* New Member

I can't get by the free vs. 120.00 a year thing. VZ nav can't be THAT much better that Google nav to justify that price difference.
  4. Explosivpotato

Explosivpotato New Member

Who cares how well the buildings are rendered? Are you admiring the visuals while you're driving? I hope not!

All I care about is that it speaks turn-by-turn directions to me, in real time, and gets me where I'm going. Why would I pay 10$ per month when I can have all of that free and integrated into Android's voice search and google maps' address search?
  5. bazar6

bazar6 Premium Member Theme Developer Premium Member

Well said. I will buy an app from a good app dev because he made a better app than the other free ones, but this subscription bullsh*t VZW uses has got to go. Couple this stupid $10/mo for maps with the $10/mo for vCast, and they're laughing on the way to the bank.
  6. Jizzylax

Jizzylax New Member

Why would I want to pay a monthly fee for this? $120 every year? I could buy a standalone GPS and not have a monthly fee. Or just use Google Maps for free.

I will pass. What a waste of time.
  7. noisufnoc

noisufnoc New Member

Google Maps, I do not need or want VZNav
  8. New2u

New2u Super Moderator

I'm just waiting for verizon to disable google nav on phones they offer. I'm hoping this is just an upgrade for phones that can't use google nav lol.
  9. s13_slider

s13_slider New Member

One would hope they took that route and used it solely on non-Android phones, but I have a feeling Android devices would be one of the key targets since it's exploding.

I have a bad feeling that they would disable google maps to make this option viable like you said, but hopefully the developer community will find a workaround if that happens as they have in the past.
  10. Jizzylax

Jizzylax New Member

I'm sure Verizon disable Google Maps could be circumvented by rooting. :D
  11. New2u

New2u Super Moderator

Yes that is true, but for the vast majority that don't root, if verizon went this route it could get annoying fast. Let's just hope they don't make that mistake, and they are more marketing it towards going against other navigation softwares. :)
  12. kodiak799

kodiak799 Well-Known Member

Not to get everyone worked up, but I'm sure that app will take a lot of memory, and you can bet your bottom dollar it will be bloatware that can't be removed without root.
  13. OnMy2ndGP

OnMy2ndGP New Member

Google nav FTW! I can't see VZW disabling Google nav especially when the phones that they are selling currently have Google printed on them in partnership. They'd have a ton of explaining to do to Google. Not to mention a ton of $ to fork over. Surely their contract between each other cover such an event. If not, like Jazzy said, rooting would more than likely fix that. ;-)
  14. czerdrill

czerdrill New Member

I can't imagine why any one would want this.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk
  15. Guyute

Guyute New Member

No way Google nav is great on my Droid X, why in the world would I want to pay $10 bucks a month.
  16. Larry_ThaGr81

Larry_ThaGr81 New Member

Yeah I would have to agree, Google Navigator is one of those core features that Google will say you can't remove from the phone. If that's not the case, I'm sure VZW would have already removed it because they've been offering their ridiculous subscription navigator program for a while now.

I agree with kodiak799 that this could become bloatware that nonrooted users can't remove.
  17. Larry_ThaGr81

Larry_ThaGr81 New Member

Agreed! But I think this might appeal to non android users who are completely in the dark about technological advances, which I'm sure there are many of out there.
  18. Larry_ThaGr81

Larry_ThaGr81 New Member

This could be appealing to many people who don't want to pay $30 bucks month for a unlimited data plan but want to have a navigation program at their finger tips. If this is true, then those people should consider taking that $120 and going out to buy a standalone navigatiion product.
  19. Larry_ThaGr81

Larry_ThaGr81 New Member

This is true, but I think it could be a strong motivational factor for opening people up to the idea of rooting if they were to lose something like this that they have come to know as a standard application on android devices.
  20. SierraRR

SierraRR New Member

Will this come on the TB when it comes out.
Search tags for this page

vz navigator cost