Verizon announces Droid Eris Update

danDroid

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
droid-eris-may-update.jpg

It's been a while since we've seen an update for the Eris, one might have thought Verizon almost forgot about HTC's first Droid with all the spotlights now shining on the Droid Incredible. Last week Verizon officially announced via their website the Droid Eris will be getting an update to improve performance issues and add a slew of features.

• Pinch-to-zoom is now available when using the Gallery and Google Maps.TM
  • New support for voice-to-text entry.
  • New Leap thumbnail view lets you pinch to jump between the seven panels on your home screen.
  • Additional calendar views and easier access to contacts make navigating even quicker.
  • Google Maps with Navigation provides free, traffic-enhanced, turn-by-turn navigation.
  • With the Enhanced Android Market,TM you’ll enjoy a better browsing experience as well as even more applications, including Verizon Wireless content featuring self-service applications.
  • Ability to log onto and access multiple Google accounts at once.
  • Support for 19 Microsoft® Exchange Server policies makes your phone more secure and business friendly.
  • Desk Clock intelligently dims your screen and displays the current time while charging.
  • Location-based cinematic full screen weather keeps you on top of changing conditions.

Continue the ongoing discussion in our Droid Eris Forum: http://www.droidforums.net/forum/htc-droid-eris/43489-update-news.html

Thanks for the tip DessoThumbs!

DjSmooth

Reaction score
All of that sounds good, but the loudest outcry of the Eris Users is the Battery life, I brought one for each of my daughters and my oldest got so feed up, she willingly paid the ETF to get another device, and my LilOne can't wait to I upgrade or rather get the EVO so she can have my Beloved Droid.

DessoThumbs

Reaction score
You're welcome :)

My wife and daughter just plug em in each night and the batteries last through the day. They'd be excited about the updates if they were geeks like moi.

OP
danDroid

danDroid

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
** Update, Mobilecrunch is reporting that the update may beginning rolling out tomorrow!

jedihep

Reaction score
Anyone know what the update number will be for this so I know when it is installed? Also will the voice to text upgrade now allow the Eris to have verbally input text for text messaging like the Droid can???!!!! This is what the Eris truly needs!!!!!

jimigood

Reaction score
All of that sounds good, but the loudest outcry of the Eris Users is the Battery life, I brought one for each of my daughters and my oldest got so feed up, she willingly paid the ETF to get another device, and my LilOne can't wait to I upgrade or rather get the EVO so she can have my Beloved Droid.
I dont know bout the ota version, but the leak improved my bat life a whole lot. At least it seems to. I dont have to charge it mid day now.

bill d.

Reaction score
too bad they aren't fixing things like Sense UI sucking. or the HTC keyboard sucking. OR the 'not being able to delete texts' issue. Eris is nothing more than a paper weight. so glad I bought a Droid.

no complaints about battery life with it though. even with heavy texting, and some internet use mixed in, I could still make it last a day and a half/two days. Turn off wifi, updates, internet, location services, etc when you're not using them... yeah, defeats the purpose of having a 'smartphone,' but it beats having to charge mid-day...

jimigood

Reaction score
too bad they aren't fixing things like Sense UI sucking. or the HTC keyboard sucking. OR the 'not being able to delete texts' issue. Eris is nothing more than a paper weight. so glad I bought a Droid.

no complaints about battery life with it though. even with heavy texting, and some internet use mixed in, I could still make it last a day and a half/two days. Turn off wifi, updates, internet, location services, etc when you're not using them... yeah, defeats the purpose of having a 'smartphone,' but it beats having to charge mid-day...
wow! you must got a bad phone. Without talking alot I go up to three days without charging, without turning all that off. Talk time kills my bat. Keyboard, no probs out of mine. I also have no prob deleting texts. I will give in to sense sucking tho. motorola has better. But I have yet to have any of the probs I keep hearing about with the texts and keyboard and so forth.
Everything works fine on my eris.

W

wy0453

Wow! I’ve never heard of this before and I think they’re awesome!

jedihep

Reaction score
When my wife first got her Eris, her battery would last her the full day, shortly after that there must have been an update or something because her battery life went to hell! Ironically it was shortly after her trial period expired. Now her battery dosen't even last even a half day! All possible things are killed; wifi, Bluetooth, etc are all killed. I hope that the the update will do something about this as well, the Eris seems to be a very very troubled platform. l have the Droid and she truly wishes that she had it instead. For the good money invested in the phone it should be much better than this!!!! If I had the money to just go out and just buy her another phone again I'd take her Eris and throw it through the window of the Verizon store window where she got it! I wanted a Droid for her but the Rep talked her into the Eris for it's sleeker design, lighter configuration, and the fact that it was a 100 bucks cheaper. She sees my Droid now and covets it!!!! I can't help but feel bad every time she comes home and complains that the eris died on her again or when she sees me use the Droids voice texting ability!!! I've even offered her my Droid but I think that she knows me all too well and figures that it would be better to deal with her crappy Eris then have to bail me out of jail and pay for Verizon's new window!!!! I don't think l'd be as mad if they hadn't talked her into the Eris instead of the Droid!!! I've thought of getting her a new battery with a better amp hour rating which maskes me mad all over again because at the 50 bucks for the new battery that is only a 35% improvement over the origional and the cost of the Eris, I'm only another 50 bucks away from the cost of having gotten her the Droid I origionally wanted for her!!! .......... Sorry for the rant but at the very least I need her to have a phone that will work reliably for her so if something, God forbid happens, she can get in touch with me or get herself the help she needs, when she needs it! I could have had that for her for 40 dollars by getting her a cheap trac phone! The additional money spent on the phone was for her to have a miltifunctional tool at her disposal to make her life a little easier and more efficient. It wasn't supposed to cause her grief and remove the base intended function from her. .... that being a reliable functioning phone when it is needed!!!! Thanks for the free therapy and I'll keep my fingers and toes crossed as well as getting out the lucky rabbits foot! If that dosent work stay away from the Verizon store window because they may just be getting their phone back for free! :mad:

jimigood

Reaction score
I hear a lot of this, but mine works great. Only bat probs I have is when I have it glued to my ear. And even then it last all day. I charge it at lunch just cuz I have time. I'm running 2.1 and it does do speech to text.

bill d.

Reaction score

wow! you must got a bad phone. Without talking alot I go up to three days without charging, without turning all that off. Talk time kills my bat. Keyboard, no probs out of mine. I also have no prob deleting texts. I will give in to sense sucking tho. motorola has better. But I have yet to have any of the probs I keep hearing about with the texts and keyboard and so forth.
Everything works fine on my eris.

verizon swapped my phone once because the earpiece went bad. 2nd time i tried to get them to give me an exception upgrade to the Droid, and they told me that the problems I was having was because "firmware 2.1 wasn't made for the Eris," and to fix it I had to "go back to 1.6." Guy had obviously no clue what he was talking about, but managed to screw me into having to keep the phone.

I was trying to hold out for root on 2.1 so I could just get rid of sense, and all the programs that were opening themselves in the background, but it was just unbearable.

jimigood

Reaction score
Maybe I'm one of the lucky few that got a good one. I had no probs with 1.5 and none with 2.1. I do use auto task killer. Works very well.
Think it sux so many ppl are having probs with there's. I love mine, but I haven't had any of those probs with it. I'm using it to reply tho these post while at work.
Wish it had live wallpaper tho. That be cool.

chops

Reaction score
hey question my wife has leak version 2.1v3 on her phone and I heard verizon tweeted and stated people who have this leak on there phone will still get the update cause it has some upgrades from v3 even though it is same basband and software number, does anyone have that situation on here that recieved the update?