Samsung Fascinate Will Include Bing Maps and Search

wuyanks

DF News Team
Premium Member
Reaction score
bingmobileclient.JPG

Plan on purchasing the newest Samsung smartphone, the Fascinate? Well I'm sure you know by now that the handset is running Android. And when you think of Android, the first word that pops into your head is probably "Google," and not "Bing." However, it seems like those sneaky folks over at Verizon have a trick up their sleeve. Verizon and Samsung have chosen to include Bing Maps on the Fascinate, instead of its arch-nemesis Google Maps. Furthermore, Bing Search will be the default search engine on the Fascinate, again in place of Google. Don't we love open-source?

In addition to all this Bing bling (sorry for the terrible pun), the Fascinate will be pre-equipped with all the Verizon bloatware goodies: VZ Navigator, V Cast Music with Rhapsody, V Cast Videos, and Mobile IM. Check out what else you should expect to see on your Fascinate (thanks to Andronica):

• V CAST Music with Rhapsody®, V CAST Video on Demand, V CAST Song ID, Visual Voice Mail, V CAST Tones, VZ Navigator® and Mobile IM , City ID
  • Samsung’s Social Hub – Built around messaging, contacts and calendar sync, which allows users to send and receive information, whether it is e-mail, social network updates or SMS messages
    • Integrated Calendar information from portal calendars, on Exchange, Google Calendar™ and social networking services (SNS), including Facebook®
    • Integrated Contacts syncs with Exchange, Google, Twitter and Facebook® and displays a user’s contacts in four categories including Information, History (previous calls and messages), Activities (status updates and notifications on social networking sites) and Media (Facebook profile photos and photo gallery)
  • Feeds & Updates – Displays feeds from multiple SNS sites such as Facebook®, MySpace and Twitter, which also allows users to update their status instantly
  • AllShare Application – Enables inter-device connectivity through Digital Living Network Alliance (DLNA), so users can send multimedia content wirelessly to other DLNA-enabled devices such as TVs and laptops
  • Daily Briefing – Instant access to weather, news, stocks and schedule
  • Write and Go – Quickly jot down an idea and later decide on a format, such as SMS/ MMS, e-mail, calendar or memo, to send or post to popular SNS sites such as Facebook, Twitter and MySpace
  • Weather Clock – Displays current time and weather of the selected city (ability to add and select other cities)
This is not the first time that Verizon has opted to utilize Bing over Google. In July 2009, VZ signed a 5-year exclusivity agreement with Microsoft to use Bing on upcoming devices. As of December 2009, Verizon announced that its Blackberry users will be forced to use Bing Search, by making Bing the default engine, and removing all other search options.

Thoughts?

via Andronica

Edit: Here's a link to Verizon's 5 year deal with Bing, penned in July 2009

Last edited:

yamaha83

Reaction score
well that just made it certain that i will not be getting this phone... i hate all the verizon crap they shove onto the phone with no option to delete it for something better! no thanks!

OP
W

wuyanks

DF News Team
Premium Member
Reaction score
well that just made it certain that i will not be getting this phone... i hate all the verizon crap they shove onto the phone with no option to delete it for something better! no thanks!

Indeed, this is a lot of bloatware. However, I'm sure the hacking community will find ways to eliminate the pre-loaded apps you don't want (specifically, via rooting).

Backnblack

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7+ 256gb
Bing? Why the M$ crap?

Garemlin

Developer Relations
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
LG G3 (VZW), Nexus 7 v2
I thought Google and VZW had a great and still growing relationship. What is up with this??? They pulling an AT&T???

And if I was still considering the Galaxy this would make my decision. Bing and bloatware??? I'll pass.

nerdkill

Reaction score
you can still download google maps/navigation from the market though right?

brosselle

Reaction score
Can you install install all of the Google apps, if they're not there already?

Eli

Reaction score
Its an app in the marketplace. I would assume you can install it. However, who knows what Verizon may try to pull and lock it out...

brosselle

Reaction score
I saw that it supports ActiveSync, which is good. I assume that's more a feature of Android 2.1, than of the phone itself.

Do all Android 2.1 phones support push Gmail, or is that only guaranteed with the Droid models?

GrillMouster

Reaction score
Nothing against Bing (I don't use it, so I don't know if it's any good or bad), but this move introduces another type of "fragmentation". Part of what I like about the Google sphere on Android is the integration of gmail, contacts, maps, etc. both on my phone and in the "cloud". Using bing maps and bing search would be an additional account/login, and would provide another opportunity for things to fall in between the cracks.

jrodizkool01

Reaction score
I guess the way to combat that would be to just go to the market and install google maps. Once the phone gets rooted it'll be very easy to remove the bloatware that Verizon feels is 'necessary' for our devices.

OP
W

wuyanks

DF News Team
Premium Member
Reaction score
I saw that it supports ActiveSync, which is good. I assume that's more a feature of Android 2.1, than of the phone itself.

Do all Android 2.1 phones support push Gmail, or is that only guaranteed with the Droid models?

all Android phones should support Push. it's a basic and integral part of the code

bluflax

Reaction score
Please forgive my ignorance as I do not know what a root is, etc. I am interested in the Fascinate as my next phone but also want to make sure that Froyo/Android 2.2 is an option. Does anyone know if this is a possibility with all the great hacks I hear of?

Thanks!!