Verizon Officially Announces new Android Phone - Motorola Devour

Discussion in 'Android News' started by danDroid, Feb 3, 2010.

1. danDroid

danDroid DF Administrator Staff Member

[​IMG]

Today it's official, we'll have a new addition to the Verizon Wireless Android Phone family. The new phone is scheduled to be launched next month with Android 1.6. Check out the full press release and specs below:

BASKING RIDGE, NJ, and LIBERTYVILLE, IL — Verizon Wireless and Motorola, Inc. (NYSE: MOT) today announced the availability of Motorola DEVOUR™ in March. Motorola DEVOUR will be the first Verizon Wireless phone to feature MOTOBLUR™, Motorola’s unique Android™-powered content delivery service created to make wireless phones more personal and customizable.

MOTOBLUR is the first solution to sync contacts from work and personal e-mail services, including Gmail™, with posts, messages, photos and more from popular sites such as Facebook®, MySpace and Twitter. With MOTOBLUR, content is automatically delivered to the home screen and fed into easy-to-manage streams.

Key features:
    • Touch-sensitive navigation pad
    • 3.1” capacitive touch screen
    • Pre-loaded applications such as Gmail, Google Talk™, YouTube™, Google Search™ and Google Maps™ with Google Maps Navigation.
    • Android Market™ gives users access to more than 20,000 applications.
    • Happenings Widget – MOTOBLUR automatically pushes status updates, wall posts and photo updates from popular social networking sites to the Happenings Widget on the home screen. Customers can flick through the latest updates and fire back responses using the slide-out full QWERTY keyboard.
    • Universal Inbox – MOTOBLUR gathers texts, social network messages and e-mails into one home screen widget for quick response.
    • Back-Up and Security – Contacts, log-in information, home screen customizations, e-mail and social network messages are backed up automatically on the secure MOTOBLUR portal. The portal also allows customers to use the phone’s fully integrated aGPS to help locate the phone if misplaced. Remote wipe easily clears information from a lost device.
    • 8 GB microSD™ card pre-installed
    • Bluetooth® profiles supported: A2DP, HID, HSP, HFP, AVRCP and GAP

Service plans:
    To get the most from Motorola DEVOUR, customers will need to subscribe to a Nationwide Talk or Nationwide Talk & Text plan and a Data Package for smartphones. Nationwide Talk plans begin at $39.99 monthly access, and Nationwide Talk & Text plans begin at $59.99 monthly access. A Data Package for smartphones is $29.99 for unlimited monthly access.

About Verizon Wireless
    Verizon Wireless operates the nation’s most reliable and largest wireless voice and 3G data network, serving more than 91 million customers. Headquartered in Basking Ridge, N.J., with 83,000 employees nationwide, Verizon Wireless is a joint venture of Verizon Communications (NYSE: VZ) and Vodafone (NASDAQ and LSE: VOD). For more information, visit Cell Phones,Smartphones,Mobile Cell Phone Plans - Verizon Wireless. To preview and request broadcast-quality video footage and high-resolution stills of Verizon Wireless operations, log on to the Verizon Wireless Multimedia Library at www.verizonwireless.com/multimedia.

About Motorola
    Motorola is known around the world for innovation in communications and focused on advancing the way the world connects. From broadband communications infrastructure, enterprise mobility and public safety solutions to high-definition video and mobile devices, Motorola is leading the next wave of innovations that enable people, enterprises and governments to be more connected and more mobile. Motorola (NYSE: MOT) had sales of US $22 billion in 2009. For more information, please visit Motorola Home - Motorola USA.

MOTOROLA and the Stylized M Logo are registered in the US Patent & Trademark Office. Android, Google, Google Maps, Android Market, Google Search, Gmail, YouTube, Google Talk are trademarks of Google, Inc. All other product or service names are the property of their respective owners. © Motorola, Inc. 2009. All rights reserved.

Join the discussion already in progress here: http://www.droidforums.net/forum/motorola-devour/20207-veerizon-makes-official.html

Thanks for the heads up Neofite!
  2. danDroid

danDroid DF Administrator Staff Member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  3. GOON

GOON New Member

****s weak
  4. pdm0376

pdm0376 New Member

Why....why do they unveil new phones so damn soon after the droid was released. It happens with everything nowadays. Video games, movies...they make a part and a part 2 is out withing a year if that. Grrrr
  5. Garemlin

Garemlin Developer Relations

How cute. A baby droid.
    jspradling7 likes this.
  6. schertz7

schertz7 New Member

That thing is NOWHERE near the cpability of the DROID.
  7. armeddroid

armeddroid New Member

I think it looks good.
    Its just not a Droid.
    :p
  8. GOON

GOON New Member

****ts weak
  9. FireDroid

FireDroid New Member

A little nicer keyboard but that is it. Running 1.6 ehh! I think this may be an altenative to the Eris crowd that wants a physical keyboard!
  10. cuskit

cuskit New Member

Droid Rocks! Any sequels are lame attempts to capitalize on the BEST smartphone EVER made! Look at it this way. Motorola will be making many more phones down the road. But for the present year (or two), Droid will continue to be their FLAGSHIP, and the rest will be merely "drones" introduced to subsidize the very best ever (DROID)! ;) cuskit
  11. ricepuddin

ricepuddin New Member

I like motoblur, but why 1.6 and not 2.01 or 2.1?
  12. evilsock

evilsock New Member

aww how cute, i just wanna pinch its little cheeks.
    :pwned by droid
  13. swallman

swallman New Member

I think it just looks fugly...plus, what kind of keyboard is that ? It almost looks like a flat membrane type ??
  14. 1linuxfreak

1linuxfreak New Member

Wife's new phone

Going to talk wife into this one , she wants a Droid but she is not to tech savoy , so this would be perfect for her . :motdroidhoriz:
  15. swickdick

swickdick New Member

1.6? The Droid rules above all.
  16. choklitcow

choklitcow New Member

Verizon needed a mid-ranged droid. Was shocked to see its size though. I assumed it would be quite compact, yet even though its screen is relatively small its larger than the nexus 1.

Lot of people spewing "ew it sucks/droid rules" rhetoric in defense and partial fear of their recent large acquisition, however I don't think they have anything to worry about. From its marketing to its opening version of android it appears to be sold as a lesser phone. however, depending on its specs, future upgrades/rooting may make this phone quite interesting. Plus, the more I read about blur the more I like it. Wouldn't mind Blur.
  17. kendawg

kendawg New Member

I sure hope not, I just got my Moto Droid Monday!!!!
  18. RW-1

RW-1 New Member

Loust color, will show light scratches big time.

Looks like a possible better slider design for the unit, or just the same as we have, just in the middle. Time will tell.

Trackpad, hmmm... possibly a good thing, time again will tell.

Overall a nice unit, I'm sure whoever gets it will like it.

Won't hurt our Droids a bit, it's a "weaker" version which will hopefully be priced accordingly.

Not everyone can afford a Droid like all of us ...
  19. souljerr

souljerr New Member

Looks to sit between the Droid and Eris. Good way to capture the market in my opinion. People who buy this probably aren't going to be concerned with the fact that it's 1.6...
  20. PhDCow

PhDCow New Member

I can think of two or three people who would jump at this one. They like my Droid but don't want all of the whistles and bells.
Search tags for this page

motorola droid a55

new phone by verizon wireless

new verizon android phones 2010