Unlock bootloader and root using a Mac - instructions

OP
creaky

creaky

Reaction score

jimwy

Reaction score
Worked fine

Thanks for write up and links. All went well. It's been awhile since I rooted my original Droid the day I got it. Rom manager has done everything since it first came out. Now just waiting for CM9 stable.

R850R

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
R00ted S3
Will need to investigate how to unroot with a MAC...the posted thread is PC...doh (won't be returning my phone anytime soon).

goosedeath

Reaction score

Haha, I found that link yesterday. Mine unicorn is giving me "soft" or "fast" reboots, usually when texting or typing. It might be my keyboard(ultra keyboard 6)... anyways I'm planning on backing this puppy up and returning to stock. I'll try and remember to post my results.

Also, a short suggestion, the nexus can be put into bootloader via terminal commands.

For those of you having problems getting it to work, feel free to email me and I can attempt at helping. What I'd advise is that the folder you're pulling the files from be as short of a path as possible, ie as close to the hdd as you like. It makes for fewer entries. Also, name the folder simply and W/ out spaces. Last but not least, having the folder located where there isn't much else to wade through, or fewer files so its easier to determine that your in the right folder.

Just my .02

Sent from my Galactic Unicorn!

R850R

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
R00ted S3

goosedeath

Reaction score
I posted this else where, but I would like to spread the word about using the CORRECT file to return your phone to stock. The zip that worked and matched up to the version on my phone is labeled "mysid-icl53f-factory".taz or whichever. Look for the "toro" on your bootloader screen. Flashing the incorrect one and the command for the radio, it will fail. Just redo the commands w/ the "toro" files from the "mysid-icl53f" zip and you'll be good to go. Also, my nexus stayed at the google screen for over 15 min. Shortly there after, I just pulled the battery and everything was golden.

goosedeath

Reaction score
I'm feeling pretty confident about screwing around w/ my nexus now. Seems to be about as forgiving as the D1 is.

jding13

Reaction score
I really need some help here, at some point I messed with terminal trying to root my OG droid. When I open terminal it reads:
Last login: Sat Dec 31 11:50:15 on ttyp1
Welcome to Darwin!
-bash: sdkdolfer: No such file or directory
e****-d******-ibook-g4:~ e****d******$

I for the life of me can not get it to read any cd commands . Under terminal pref. the "execute the default login shell using /usr/bin/login" is selected. Also "declare terminal type ($TERM) as is "xterm-color"

**Edit: I was able to follow the folder commands cd /Users/, etc... got into the r3-galaxynexus superboot file. When trying to run the ./fastboot-mac oem unlock command I get this "-bash: ./fastboot-mac: cannot execute binary file" I have the phone in debug mode and in bootloader screen connected.

I am at a loss here, any help to get this in proper form to unlock and root will be greatly appreciated.:hail:

Last edited:

alitke

Reaction score
Three questions,
my terminal has a $ after my home directory name, does this matter?

when you type in this line,

chmod +x install-superboot-mac.sh

what does the +x do or mean? Do you type that in as shown above or is that a place holder for a command?

Lastly do you do a restart between steps 14 and 15? Not sure if after unlocking bootloader you should or show not restart before starting the root process.

I am not really computer savvy and usually wait for the super easy root methods but really want to root this bad boy.

Last edited:
OP
creaky

creaky

Reaction score

Lastly do you do a restart between steps 14 and 15? Not sure if after unlocking bootloader you should or show not restart before starting the root process.

I am not really computer savvy and usually wait for the super easy root methods but really want to root this bad boy.

I don't know the answers to the first two questions but you do not need to restart after unlocking the bootloader. Go directly to root and you should be OK. Good luck!

pyro6128

Reaction score
Really great write up. Thank you so much for posting this. I followed the instructions in the OP and had my phone unlocked and rooted in under 10 min with zero issues. I really appreciate this. Usually finding mac instructions for android phones is a pain. This made life so much easier.

OP
creaky

creaky

Reaction score
You are most welcome! I'm so glad it helped and all went without a hitch. I too wish more folks would post with Mac instructions....

riverjao

Reaction score
Not sure what I'm doing wrong...My phone is already unlocked. So, I placed the zip onto my home directory, boot my phone into bootloader mode, opened up a terminal, typed in:

chmod +x install-superboot-mac.sh
./install-superboot-mac.sh

and nothing happens. Just says something like "no such file directory".

This is like the 1 millionth time that I've tried rooting. So frustrating. Please help.