Uh Oh... is Verizon dropping Google Search on all future phones?

cereal killer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nokia Lumia Icon
Nobody reads : )

Taken from the article:

However, it's not fully explained whether or not Google Search will be restricted on future handsets as it is with the Fascinate.

not to mention Fascinate owners don't even see Google Search in the market.

Last edited:

Nibbz

Reaction score
I love how anytime something happens to make anyone unhappy they are going to change carriers.

Whiny people.

Whiny People? I have a legit reason. Bing's results are no where near as good and helpful as Google's. Im not whiny, I just VASTLY prefer Google over Bing. When carriers start this type of bull****, it takes away choice. Bing is not up to par with google on any front. And if in the future Bing is all verizon has to offer, yes I will swithc. If it makes me whiny that I refuse to use a much inferior search engine, then yes I am whiny.

Nibbz

Reaction score
ok saw the "debunked" link. if it is infact debunked now, droidforums really needs to stop this. Its bad journalism to post a news story, get everyones panties in a bunch only to say "Oh its not official" or "o hey we were wrong". Linking us to a different source doesnt matter. You keep stirring crap up. Get the facts, then post the story. amateurs.

sranger

Reaction score
The FACT remains that you cannot use google search on the Samsung Facinate. If it is just a Samsung thing, not problem, I just will not get a Samsung phone.

If Verizon is blocking Google, I will switch to the iPhone on AT&T. If you have to live with a restricted phone you might as well get the best one....

cereal killer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nokia Lumia Icon
ok saw the "debunked" link. if it is infact debunked now, droidforums really needs to stop this. Its bad journalism to post a news story, get everyones panties in a bunch only to say "Oh its not official" or "o hey we were wrong". Linking us to a different source doesnt matter. You keep stirring crap up. Get the facts, then post the story. amateurs.

LOL....First you have to read the entire article not just the headline and look up above the post right above yours : )

Here I will link you.

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-news/79367-uh-oh-verizon-dropping-google-search-all-future-phones-4.html#post816268

TheOldFart

Reaction score
I love how anytime something happens to make anyone unhappy they are going to change carriers.

Whiny people.

If any company makes a change to their product that makes someone not happy with that product, then continuing to support that company/product is just plain stupid. If there are workarounds that can make the product acceptable then that is a different matter. If the product can be changed without significant grief, then make the changes. If the product cannot be changed then change to another product or company. To change to something that you like is not whiny. To continue to buy the product and complain is whiny.

mrksbrd

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
LG G3
Twitter
mrksbrd
Why is Microcrap stuff going on our Android phones?? Stay on your own mobile platform !!!!

mkstn

Reaction score
If they do that I will switch carriers too... my contract is up in a month so I will not be upgrading pending the out come of this.

Last edited by a moderator:

warrior21

Reaction score
I have used verizon for a lot longer than smart phones have been out because its the best so to me it doesn't make sense when people say they will switch to AT&T over a search feature. Its still a phone so enjoy the dropped calls

Sent from my Droid

pwk

Reaction score
I don't see what all the big deal is...isn't Google all about promoting choice and open source (the dirty little secret is that Google could care less about open source..but that another topic)?

Anyways, why complain about phone manufactures or telco companies making Bing a default search engine. Would you complain if AT&T/Verizon made Google the default search engine on upcoming Windows 7 mobile phones or would you show your hypocrisy and be all for it? What if Apple decided to make Bing the default search engine on the iPhone? How about this...why should the consumer have Google search crammed down there throat. Is a Google search monopoly OK whereas a Microsoft Windows/Office/IE not OK?

Also, Google fanboys need to start being intellectual honest with them selves. Google search results are not that much better Bings. In fact for some types of searches Bing gives better results. For example: Bing is better at science and math results. Test it try it for yourself... here is a simple equation:

plot x^4-8 x^2+8 x+14. or more complex one like: 2^2^2^2^2

As you'll see Google result are lost in the sause and Bings are right on. Bing is also better at finding travel or shopping deals.

Anyways, who cares? Is it really that hard to switch to you prefer search engine? I tried doing it on my Droid without an app from Bing or Yahoo....it's was dam near impossible to switch away from Google search(and I though Google was about choice)! dancedroid

PhoenixGTR

Reaction score
Are we talking about search widgets? Or are they saying the browser won't be able to access Google?
Anyway, they should do like Microsoft now has to on Windows, and let the customer add whatever search engine he/she wants and choose which is default.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

ScottOnCapeCod

Reaction score
Here's A Radical Idea...

let me choose what i want to use on the phones i pay verizon over $300 a month for!

kendubya

Reaction score
There is no comparison of bing to gmaps...I mean really! Gmaps entire setup is clean and concise ...very user friendly, whereas bing just wanders about, I never know what to click to navigate around bing.

Kinda the same in general between winmo and android, huh? (that, coming from a (ex)diehard wimnmo user).

Droid DOES!!

What iDoesn't
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Even as a VZW rep, I must say that this would be a very dumb move on Verizon's part!!