Uh Oh... is Verizon dropping Google Search on all future phones?

J

JohnDroid

verizonlogo.jpg

As some of you are probably aware, the Samsung Fascinate was recently released and one of the more curious aspects of the Fascinate is that Bing is the default search engine. In addition, people have been having a hard time getting the Google Search widget to work on the phone.

This is unfortunately one of the side effects of the Android platform being so open... the carriers are able to tinker with it to their hearts desire. Now, we can of course root the phones and install or deinstall whatever software we wish but most casual users won't want to have to go that route.

It is unfortunate that Verizon is not giving you a choice to revert back to Google if you wish, but we can hope and perhaps pressure Verizon into adding that as an option in a future OTA update.

In the mean time, we were sad to read the news on The Droid Guy's blog that it is possible that all future Verizon phones will have Bing as the default search engine (at the very least) and possibly even cripple the phone from being able to use Google.

Is this a revenue sharing deal that Verizon has made with Microsoft/Bing or something else? We don't know... but we will keep on the case and keep you updated.

(Source: EXCLUSIVE: Verizon Dropping Google Search From All Future Androids? Android Phones, Android Tips, Android News Thedroidguy.com)

Nibbz

Reaction score
I don't get it, how do you take away Google Search on a platform developed by Google!? If when I decide to upgrade, there is no Google Search on Verizon, I WILL switch carriers. I ONLY support Google Search and all Google products. This is a damn shame.

astevens54

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo
Uh Oh... sounds like Verizon and Google may be having a little spat?

OP
J

JohnDroid

I don't get it, how do you take away Google Search on a platform developed by Google!? If when I decide to upgrade, there is no Google Search on Verizon, I WILL switch carriers. I ONLY support Google Search and all Google products. This is a damn shame.

I don't know if I would go that far, but I'd at least expect Verizon to give ME (you know, the consumer, the one paying for the phone and the service) a choice.

I wonder if maybe Verizon is trying to distance themselves a tad from Google due to them wanting the iPhone? Who knows.

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I hope Bing does not become the default for Verizon Android phones.

Why not just force everyone to buy an iPhone next?

Nibbz

Reaction score
I don't know if I would go that far, but I'd at least expect Verizon to give ME (you know, the consumer, the one paying for the phone and the service) a choice.

I would go that far. I hate bing. I truly do. I love google, everything about google. If they take away this choice then I will switch carriers.

johnomaz

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel 2XL

No, I doubt there is a deal with Verizon to put Google on those devices. I bet Microsoft has made a deal for large sums of money to put Bing on as the default. But as long as you can add Google via the market place, its no real big deal.

Darkseider

Reaction score
I hope Bing does not become the default for Verizon Android phones.

Why not just force everyone to buy an iPhone next?

You hit the nail on the head. VZW is getting Steve Jobs' sloppy seconds and they will do whatever is necessary to ensure it looks more attractive than the superior Android/Droid lineup they offer.

bizzshow

Reaction score
I could care less if its default as long as I have the option to set google back to default. If I lose that option I'm gone no questions asked guess vzw phones won't have with google anymore

chefb

Reaction score
what's up with that...

I'm a droid x user and I noticed that verizon has a pattern of putting out phones before there time...almost like baking a cake and taking it out too early. Why are they doing this. Now their promising ota for the fascinate and we're still waiting for the droid x2.2 update. Don't get me wrong I love my phone, but this was my first touch screen phone and smart phone, and the whole just wait until we're ready to do it right attitude is not cool . Please on behalf of the little people keep fighting the good fight....help us make our devices whole. Thanks.

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Verizon did this with the BB Storm as well. Promises, promises, only to re-release the same device with a "2" label.

It's just Verizon's way unfortunately.

debdroid1a

Reaction score
I HATE bing. Tried it a few times and found it bad.

I'm a droid x user and I noticed that verizon has a pattern of putting out phones before there time...almost like baking a cake and taking it out too early. Why are they doing this. Now their promising ota for the fascinate and we're still waiting for the droid x2.2 update. Don't get me wrong I love my phone, but this was my first touch screen phone and smart phone, and the whole just wait until we're ready to do it right attitude is not cool . Please on behalf of the little people keep fighting the good fight....help us make our devices whole. Thanks.
It's not just Verizon or the Android phones. A lot of techy products come up with better firmware or fix problems they didn't know exited.
As long as I can update my current product, I have no problem with that (as long as there is no problem). When I can't update my D1 to a new firmware and I still have over a year on my contract or just bought it, then that's where I'd get mad.

bizzshow

Reaction score
I'm just hoping vzw doesn't get back into the habit of locking their devices down installing bloat that can't be removed and crippling their devices. Hold on that happened with the fascinate. Well I won't trip have to wait and see

JohnnytheK

Reaction score
What are they thinking? Have they ever really use Bing? It sucks!

Why does everything get weird with success?

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Verizon has some sort of deal with Microsoft to promote Bing. I saw it last year on my Blackberry too.