Trick to upgrade after June 28 and still keep unlimited data...?

Garemlin

Developer Relations
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
LG G3 (VZW), Nexus 7 v2
After the 28th, any account that has more than one smartphone who chooses to do a subsidized upgrade will force that account into shared data. This is what Verizon wants.

Sent from my HTC REZOUND

Again you are not forced into anything. Please read what has already been posted before posting false information like this. It has been posted time and time again. No one is being forced into the shared data plan. If you do a subsidized upgrade on a data line after the 28th you will lose your unlimited plan and, for lack of a better word, be forced into a tiered data plan. VZW is not making anyone chose the shared data plan.

cdm369

Reaction score
Garemlin said:
Again you are not forced into anything. Please read what has already been posted before posting false information like this. It has been posted time and time again. No one is being forced into the shared data plan. If you do a subsidized upgrade on a data line after the 28th you will lose your unlimited plan and, for lack of a better word, be forced into a tiered data plan. VZW is not making anyone chose the shared data plan.

Verizon needs to get on the same page because I was told by customer service that tiered data was for single line plans after the 28th unless you were already on it. Never black and white with vzw. Always confusion.

Sent from my HTC REZOUND

Last edited by a moderator:

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
The other thing to understand is this guy who came up with this "trick" is using his mother's tiered plan to get the phone upgraded. He plans to take that phone and swap it onto his unlimited plan. Again, nothing new here, except that he's described the process. His mom will remain on the tiered plan, he gets her "new" phone, she puts her old phone back onto the same number she's had already, he does an ESN/MEID swap from his old phone to the new phone and he retains his unlimited plan. Then he can either sell his old phone, or if it's more updated than his mom's he can give that to her and sell her old phone for her.

cdm369

Reaction score
FoxKat said:
The other thing to understand is this guy who came up with this "trick" is using his mother's tiered plan to get the phone upgraded. He plans to take that phone and swap it onto his unlimited plan. Again, nothing new here, except that he's described the process. His mom will remain on the tiered plan, he gets her "new" phone, she puts her old phone back onto the same number she's had already, he does an ESN/MEID swap from his old phone to the new phone and he retains his unlimited plan. Then he can either sell his old phone, or if it's more updated than his mom's he can give that to her and sell her old phone for her.

I tried this a while back and it would not let me swap the numbers to a different account. I could swap phones on the same account only. Maybe I was mislead but they refused to allow it.

Sent from my HTC REZOUND

OP
Jmoore1701

Jmoore1701

Reaction score
Well, I would say that this isn't worth arguing over, except that I'm the one who started the thread.
I just thought it would be an interesting strategy (but only if it works--but then, any strategy is interesting if it works!)
Anyway, this doesn't apply to me since I've made up my mind that I'm getting the SGS3 on June 25 unless there is some official word from Motorola or Verizon about the still-mythical Droid Razr HD.
But it seems to me that "Aaron" has a situation that requires several elements:
1) You need to be on a family plan, where you have an unlimited data plan, and at least one other person has tiered data
2) That other person has to not care about changing their own phone
3) That other person has to have an upgrade coming up (although I suppose theoretically the upgrade could come many months out)

This is not so unique, I think...I have a family plan, and my mother-in-law has an upgrade coming up, she cares nothing about having the latest and greatest phone. I could wait for the (still mythical) Razr HD to come out in July/August and pull this stunt. But if I'm wrong, I've lost out on the my best chance (the SGS3) to get a subsidized 4G flagship phone while keeping my unlimited data.
That's too big a risk to take, especially since there's nothing wrong with the SGS3 (except maybe the "plastic-y" case, but I'll get a cover for it anyway). And as nikecar pointed out a while back, if it wasn't for the rumored Razr HD, I wouldn't hesitate to get the Galaxy S III. So, I'm not hesitating.

VooDooCC

Reaction score
I posted something about this in another thread, but I'll ask here too. I have an upgrade coming up in July, I just changed to a family plan to get my wife in on the double data. Would I be able to swap my upgrade to her line, then swap that phone back to my number?

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Folks, you have to understand that Verizon doesn't care which phone is on which plan, as long as any smartphone is on a data plan, and all data plans have smartphones. This would work. The person who "upgrades" is going to be bound to a contract for SERVICE!!! They are NOT bound to the phone. Verizon is going to subsidize the PURCHASE (key word - once you own it, you own it, end of story), of the phone, but they will then recover the subsidized cost of the phone by receiving the SERVICE fees over the next 24 months. Verizon only has claim to the service of the original purchaser over the next 24 months, or an early termination fee if they discontinue service, in order to recover their subsidized cost.

Once the phone is purchased, what's done is done. What anyone does with that phone afterwards has NO bearing on the plan that the next person puts that phone on. It's a car in a new driveway, and the dealership has no claim to the new driveway or the new car. The only claim they have is to the driveway that purchased the car and the person respoinsible for that driveway.

OP
Jmoore1701

Jmoore1701

Reaction score
As usual, FoxKat, you cut through the confusion and get to the essential point.
There's been so much confusion between "phone", "contract", "service", "plan", etc., that we were chasing ourselves in circles. Thanks for straightening things out!

P.S., I've been meaning to say, I LOVE your avatar! That was one of my favorite shows!

vet2be

Reaction score
I'm currently on a family plan with unlimited data. I need to upgrade my phone (cracked screen), and don't want to pay full price for a phone. I also don't want a phone with a freaking huge screen, so the S3 is out. I would get the Rezound, but one of the several ways that Verizon is screwing customers right now is to have the $79.99 deal for the Rezound online only. It's still $200 in the store.

Of course, another way that Verizon is screwing with customers is by pushing back the release of the DInc 4G LTE (4-inch screen) until after the 6/28 doomsday.

I've gone into two Verizon stores and spoken to two Verizon sales reps about the new shared data plans. Their employees are very well programmed in the rhetoric to make customers think the new shared data plans are a good thing. For example, I was told that I would be paying $30 less each month by switching to a new plan with data sharing. After my company's discount, I currently pay a little over $180 for 1400 minutes (unlimited M2M, any network, unlimited messaging, and family & friends), two lines at $9.99 each, unlimited data for two phones (2 x $29.99), and insurance for two smartphones (2 x $6.99), and taxes/fees.

Anyway, the sales rep I spoke with today said that instead of paying $60 for unlimited data, I would be paying $70 for sharing 4GB, but the other charges would be less, and I would get unlimited calls to anyone (mobile or landline.)

Currently, we use 0.3 GB per month, but my wife is reluctant to lose our unlimited because she may want to start streaming TV shows and movies outside the house. We have our phones connected to our WiFi at home.

So, can someone lay this out for me? Should I be trying to hold on tooth and nail to my unlimited data? Is it worth the $30 more each month (plus the cost of paying full-price for a phone) that I supposedly would continue to pay by not switching?

vet2be

Reaction score
Oh, and of course, if were to buy the Rezound online at $79.99, I would lose my unlimited data.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
As usual, FoxKat, you cut through the confusion and get to the essential point.
There's been so much confusion between "phone", "contract", "service", "plan", etc., that we were chasing ourselves in circles. Thanks for straightening things out!

P.S., I've been meaning to say, I LOVE your avatar! That was one of my favorite shows!

Thank you, and p.s. thank you again. I really do try to give the definitive facts to subjects of discussion. The confusion is rampant, but there are a few who truly "get it" in just about any discussion.

I really appreciate it when i hear that someone had benefited from my painstaking research. I do it for you and for three personal satisfaction it gives me. :D

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Oh, and of course, if were to buy the Rezound online at $79.99, I would lose my unlimited data.

Rather than quote the previous message i choose to quote this one, but my answer will be the same. For me, they'll have to Peru unlimited data from my rigor mortised hands.

There are two schools of thought here regarding data consumption. One I strongly advise is that data consumption has no where to go but up. Faster processors, multi-core processors, cloud servers, wireless sync, streaming of audio & video, radio, tv & movies moving to the internet, less expensive hard drives, more plentiful and larger capacity Micro-SD cards, cloud based or server side applications (wood processing, spreadsheets, powerpoint presentations), collaboration via the Web, and the list goes on. Any attempt to convince the customer they'd be better off on a tiered plan than an unlimited plan is done for one reason...to take back control from the customer in order to assure increased profits for the future. I don't believe they have my best interests in mind. Don't do me any favors.

The other school of thought is a question. Why pay more for something you aren't taking full advantage of. If you are only using a fraction of the amount of days in a tiered plan that would be less expensive, and that less expensive plan also gives you additional phone calling benefits, then it's a no-brainer. They may be right for those less technically savvy. I don't see the greatest percentage of people in the upper age groups using over 4GB/month for quite a long time.

I still believe that for the ready of us the unlimited data will far outweigh savings of a tiered plan in the long run.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:

vet2be

Reaction score
Thanks. I think I will pay the $200 for the Rezound, and keep my unlimited data, at least for now. If I start using my phone (or a tablet) for business, I will tell my employer that they will be picking up the cost. And while the new shared plan does give more phone calling benefits, the fact is that we don't use close to our 1400 minutes, because of the free M2M (any network) and the family/friends, so we would not be getting any new calling benefits from the new plan. I think most people are in the same situation, and Verizon can afford to be "generous" when it comes to calling because nobody is calling anymore.

Last edited:

teasypee

Reaction score
the $80 rezound

I do not understand why you cannot order the 79.99 rezound and still keep your unlimited.(provided you are eligable for an upgrade like me) I plan on doing this on 6/26 or 6/27. I am hoping that the INC3 will preorder but I do not think that it will.

I had a chat session yesterday with VZW and was assured that the purchase has to be locked in before COB on 6/27. Turning the phone on will not matter after the 28th because you are already in your agreement.

The chat lady originally told me that I had to order yesterday to ensure the Rezound was turned on by the 28th. I replied "what if the fedex truck takes a week" She said they never do. I then asked for her to ask her supervisor. She claimed he was super busy but came back in a couple of minutes and said that the order needs to be before the end of the 27th, not the phone registration.

good luck