Trick to upgrade after June 28 and still keep unlimited data...?

vet2be

Reaction score
Well, good news for me. Apparently the sales rep I spoke with previously was misinformed or was lying, because I found out from another VZW store that I could upgrade online and keep my unlimited data, so I was able to get the Rezound for 80 bucks.

studiorat

Reaction score
I don't see the greatest percentage of people in the upper age groups using over 4GB/month for quite a long time.

I still believe that for the ready of us the unlimited data will far outweigh savings of a tiered plan in the long run.

I am upper aged and I for one resent the insult be it fact or opinion... I have unlimited data and so does my wife,my daughter has an old texting type phone,no data plan... and wants an iphone.... wifey and my daughter are due for upgrades since march, I use 30-40GB of data a month on my razr maxx I will not curb my usage, My wife wants the galaxy and my daughter will get her iphone.... i will be getting a tiered data plan on my daughters line , giving her the iphone which she will upgrade to the galaxy and then giving the galaxy back to the wife, after swapping the numbers, this should hopefully retain my unlimited data on both lines while upgrading both devices, in theory it works, some one else read through and tell me the fatal flaws in my plan....

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2[/QUOTE]

THE_LORD

Reaction score
Ok I wont use the word force...

I will just make sure to pay full price so I dont have to pick an option. =)

(I still dont see the guys plan working.)

Verizon will not force the new shared plans. If you upgrade at the reduced price you can keep your current plan but you will lose the unlimited data for that phone and now have to pay 30 for 2gigs or whatever you want. Your other phones data and your current plan will not change if your do not want them too.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

crownjbl

Reaction score
From Verizon Customer Support

Update: I have done this firsthand and can confirm that it works. I transferred my upgrade to my girlfriend, upgraded her phone, and then switched it to my line the day after. My unlimited is intact and I paid the subsidized price. Nice trick!

I am going to do this tomorrow when my upgrade is available. According to a VZW rep, it should be fine. Here is what a VZW representative told me just now over chat:

info: Please hold for a Verizon Wireless sales representative to assist you with your order. Thank you for your patience.
info: You are now chatting with 'Stephanie G'

Stephanie G: Hello. Thank you for visiting our chat service. May I help you with your order today?
You: Hello, I actually had a question about upgrading if that's ok.
Stephanie G: I'd be happy to assist you.
You: I am on a family plan (with two lines) and I have unlimited data. I was wondering, if I transfer my upgrade (which I am eligible for tomorrow) to the other line and get a subsidized phone on that line, can I then swap phones with that line to retain my unlimited data with a new phone?
Stephanie G: Does the line you'd be "transferring" it to have unlimited data?
You: No, it does not. The other line is on a 2Gb plan.
Stephanie G: Okay perfect. Yeah, just transfer it to that line and then you can activate the phone on your line to keep the unlimited data!
You: Thank You!
Stephanie G: You're welcome! D
Stephanie G: It has been my pleasure to chat with you today! Please feel free to re-open the chat session if you need further assistance . Thank you and have a great day!

Last edited:

dan_akdroid

Reaction score
crownjbl said:
From Verizon Customer Support

Update: I have done this firsthand and can confirm that it works. I transferred my upgrade to my girlfriend, upgraded her phone, and then switched it to my line the day after. My unlimited is intact and I paid the subsidized price. Nice trick!

I am going to do this tomorrow when my upgrade is available. According to a VZW rep, it should be fine. Here is what a VZW representative told me just now over chat:

info: Please hold for a Verizon Wireless sales representative to assist you with your order. Thank you for your patience.
info: You are now chatting with 'Stephanie G'
Stephanie G: Hello. Thank you for visiting our chat service. May I help you with your order today?
You: Hello, I actually had a question about upgrading if that's ok.
Stephanie G: I'd be happy to assist you.
You: I am on a family plan (with two lines) and I have unlimited data. I was wondering, if I transfer my upgrade (which I am eligible for tomorrow) to the other line and get a subsidized phone on that line, can I then swap phones with that line to retain my unlimited data with a new phone?
Stephanie G: Does the line you'd be "transferring" it to have unlimited data?
You: No, it does not. The other line is on a 2Gb plan.
Stephanie G: Okay perfect. Yeah, just transfer it to that line and then you can activate the phone on your line to keep the unlimited data!
You: Thank You!
Stephanie G: You're welcome! D
Stephanie G: It has been my pleasure to chat with you today! Please feel free to re-open the chat session if you need further assistance . Thank you and have a great day!

Tried this and it didn't work. In my case Phone A has unlimited data and is eligible for upgrade. Phone B has 2 GB for $30 tiered plan and no current upgrade. I transferred the upgrade from Phone A to Phone B online and went through the upgrade steps for Phone B. It asked me to confirm a data plan for phone B, and already said "Current Plan" or something similar next to the 2 GB tiered option, which I elected to continue for that phone. It never asked me anything about Phone A - the one the upgrade was coming from. Finished checkout and paid for the phone (Friday).

Called back today (Saturday) to confirm, the rep said that once the phone is activated it will actually be Phone A that is kicked off the unlimited plan and moved to the 2 GB tiered plan as well, even though I distinctly remember the icon and number for Phone B at the top of the data plan selection screen, and it never asked me anything about Phone A after I initially did the 'transfer upgrade' election on the device upgrade splash page. But the rep was adamant that Phone A will be losing unlimited data even though the upgrade was transferred and I never selected a new data plan for Phone A. The fail on my part was not taking screen shots.

So to anyone trying to manage their upgrade path via the online utility: make sure you take screen shots. They might not help, but at least you won't be kicking yourself for retaining as much evidence as you can. Personally if I could do it again I would execute the transactions at a Verizon retail location.

Please post if you have other evidence to this effect. Good luck guys.

dan_akdroid

Reaction score
Current chat with representative:

You: I'm concerned because I upgraded my device yesterday by transferring an upgrade from Phone A to Phone B
You: but your website now indicates that it's Phone A that is waiting for activation on its line
Iesha F.: I'd be happy to assist you.
You: great, thanks
Iesha F.: The transfer upgrade does not work online, unfortunately. We are trying to have the tab fixed at this time. I do apologize for the inconvenience

Iesha F.: Unfortunately the transfer upgrade tab does not function as it should online. I do apologize. ...
You: but the belief that your online system was providing accurate information was material to the contract decisions that were executed through that very same online system
Iesha F.: We are aware of the issue and are trying to have the tab fixed for the online orders. I am sorry. ...

...The system sure looked like it was working when I used it:

• the 'Transfer Upgrade' button was available on devices with eligible upgrades on the 'Upgrade Devices' page
  • when clicked, it allowed me to select which of my four lines to transfer the upgrade to
  • when I selected one of the remaining three lines it asked me to confirm that the transferee's future upgrade date would be reciprocally switched to the transferror line
  • once accepted it allowed it me to select contract extension terms for the transferee line, and never made any mention of the transferror line again
  • there was never any indication that this system wasn't functioning appropriately

If I knew that the system was broke and I was actually agreeing to terms for the transferror line I would have much rather paid full retail price and retained unlimited data...to cover my 8GB usage I'll be paying $60 more a month for 24 months ($1440) to save $450 today. Obviously I wouldn't have gone the upgrade route if the online system had provided me the correct information. Preparing for the customer service nightmare battle of a lifetime.

Last edited:

crownjbl

Reaction score
Current chat with representative:

...The system sure looked like it was working when I used it:

• the 'Transfer Upgrade' button was available on devices with eligible upgrades on the 'Upgrade Devices' page
  • when clicked, it allowed me to select which of my four lines to transfer the upgrade to
  • when I selected one of the remaining three lines it asked me to confirm that the transferee's future upgrade date would be reciprocally switched to the transferror line
  • once accepted it allowed it me to select contract extension terms for the transferee line, and never made any mention of the transferror line again
  • there was never any indication that this system wasn't functioning appropriately

If I knew that the system was broke and I was actually agreeing to terms for the transferror line I would have much rather paid full retail price and retained unlimited data...to cover my 8GB usage I'll be paying $60 more a month for 24 months ($1440) to save $450 today. Obviously I wouldn't have gone the upgrade route if the online system had provided me the correct information. Preparing for the customer service nightmare battle of a lifetime.

Hmm. That is too bad (and of course doesn't make sense). I did it by upgrading in store and had no issues, but I almost went the online route and any reasonable person would assume that the methods should give the same result. Your experience sounds pretty ridiculous.

AngryStamen

Reaction score
Hmm. That is too bad (and of course doesn't make sense). I did it by upgrading in store and had no issues, but I almost went the online route and any reasonable person would assume that the methods should give the same result. Your experience sounds pretty ridiculous.

Hi crownjbl,

So, did you do the entire process in person, in a store? Including the phone switch back as well, or did you do any of the process online at vzw.com?

I ask because I am only a week away from my eligibility date, and I want to make sure I can get the new iPhone 5 (LTE!!!), and still retain my $30 unlimited data plan.

Thanks!

mysticalmalissa

Reaction score
Verizon will not force the new shared plans. If you upgrade at the reduced price you can keep your current plan but you will lose the unlimited data for that phone and now have to pay 30 for 2gigs or whatever you want. Your other phones data and your current plan will not change if your do not want them too.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

Yes, It was finally all figured out. I was only saying in this thread what I was told by a couple reps before the actual plans ever started. Typical vzw practice, no two reps know the same info. LOL

Mule65

Reaction score
Tried this and it didn't work. In my case Phone A has unlimited data and is eligible for upgrade. Phone B has 2 GB for $30 tiered plan and no current upgrade. I transferred the upgrade from Phone A to Phone B online and went through the upgrade steps for Phone B. It asked me to confirm a data plan for phone B, and already said "Current Plan" or something similar next to the 2 GB tiered option, which I elected to continue for that phone. It never asked me anything about Phone A - the one the upgrade was coming from. Finished checkout and paid for the phone (Friday).

Called back today (Saturday) to confirm, the rep said that once the phone is activated it will actually be Phone A that is kicked off the unlimited plan and moved to the 2 GB tiered plan as well, even though I distinctly remember the icon and number for Phone B at the top of the data plan selection screen, and it never asked me anything about Phone A after I initially did the 'transfer upgrade' election on the device upgrade splash page. But the rep was adamant that Phone A will be losing unlimited data even though the upgrade was transferred and I never selected a new data plan for Phone A. The fail on my part was not taking screen shots.

So to anyone trying to manage their upgrade path via the online utility: make sure you take screen shots. They might not help, but at least you won't be kicking yourself for retaining as much evidence as you can. Personally if I could do it again I would execute the transactions at a Verizon retail location.

Please post if you have other evidence to this effect. Good luck guys.

I had the exact same experience. Did everything on the 2nd line but the upgrade and activation remained on the 1st line in the order confirmation. Canceled the order.
:angry:

dan_akdroid

Reaction score
I had the exact same experience. Did everything on the 2nd line but the upgrade and activation remained on the 1st line in the order confirmation. Canceled the order.
:angry:

Yeah they haven't backed down in my case. I'm still holding the iPhone 5 I received on launch day still unactivated because I'm not positive I want to give up unlimited. The choice is compounded by the fact that this phone absolutely chews through data. I typically use about 250 MB data per month. Using the iPhone strictly over WiFi has burned up almost 1 GB the second week just getting push email, calendar, and google voice notifications. I haven't made a single call yet, and measured this over week 2 to 3 so as not to include the initial download and updating of apps. Once the LTE calls are included, I expect a hard time keeping it under 10 GB/month. No netflix, no streaming radio, no data hog programs, and it's using 4 times the data in 1 week that my old droid incredible used in a month doing even more stuff. That's the part I didn't budget in - that doing the same things on the iPhone results in 40 times more data usage. Looking like I'll have to return the phone too, an extra $50/month for the 10GB data tier is not worth it. Just wish I would have used my upgrade back in February to get a 4S instead of holding out 7 months for it to become worthless. Well, not completely worthless, I got to play with an iPhone 5 on WiFi for a couple weeks.

Last edited:

crownjbl

Reaction score
Hi crownjbl,

So, did you do the entire process in person, in a store? Including the phone switch back as well, or did you do any of the process online at vzw.com?

I ask because I am only a week away from my eligibility date, and I want to make sure I can get the new iPhone 5 (LTE!!!), and still retain my $30 unlimited data plan.

Thanks!

I did the entire process in store. We upgraded her phone in store (while switching her 'old' droid 3 phone to my line), and went back to another store a day later and swapped the phones. I thought I would be able to swap the phones online at home, but found out I couldn't swap them online because the system wouldn't let me and a rep. told me I had to go to a store (I'm guessing because any line change for a 4g phone with a sim card requires a new sim card? Either that or you can't swap a 4g/3g phone online.). Therefore we did the swap in store also. Sorry to hear other people's attempts aren't working, mine worked perfectly fine. If you repeat my steps I don't see why it wouldn't work. Do everything in person.

Mule65

Reaction score
I did the entire process in store. We upgraded her phone in store (while switching her 'old' droid 3 phone to my line), and went back to another store a day later and swapped the phones. I thought I would be able to swap the phones online at home, but found out I couldn't swap them online because the system wouldn't let me and a rep. told me I had to go to a store (I'm guessing because any line change for a 4g phone with a sim card requires a new sim card? Either that or you can't swap a 4g/3g phone online.). Therefore we did the swap in store also. Sorry to hear other people's attempts aren't working, mine worked perfectly fine. If you repeat my steps I don't see why it wouldn't work. Do everything in person.

Was the new phone an iPhone 5? Maybe this works for phones you don't need to pre-order.