Plan upgraded to unlimited data, options for phone upgrades?

ISUVetMed

Reaction score
I am sorry for posting this in the droid forum if it belongs elsewhere, this is the only section i've ever used as I am still rocking an original droid. As you may or may not have read yet verizon is offering a $70 unlimited everything plan or $140 unlimited everything family plan- good article with info on Droid Life: A Droid Community Blog - All about Android and the DROID lineup of phones, Rooting, Apps, Reviews and Videos

Now to my question...We had a family plan (4 lines) and I have the only data plan (droid 1). I called and no questions asked upgraded to this for an additional 10 bucks giving us ALL unlimited data. The other 3 people arent due for new every 2 upgrades for another 7 months. Is there any way I can get them new phones that can use the data plan. My primary line annual upgrade is up in January, so I am not sure if I can partake in a buy 1 get 1 free offer and give one of them the new phone or how that works. Anyone have any suggestions? They all are super happy about unlimited data but have phones that cant really use it, the verizon rep said there wasnt much they could do but to watch for early upgrade advertisements....

Any help would be appreciated, the best I can come up with is upgrading my phone on the 1 year contract in jan. and giving my phone to one of them and telling the other 2 just to wait for their upgrades. Has anyone had success or any tips in getting an early upgrade? We have been 4 line family plan customers for 10 years or so.

the3dolla

Reaction score
soo..

I feel a bit shady, but I called up and mentioned I wanted more information on the unlimited txt,pix,data plan and that I'm looking at the email. (i was, kind of; the link above) He said, I don't see that we sent this to you. I mentioned I was looking at it. He said hmmm, for what line. I gave my primary and he said well, ok we'll add it. We currently have a 5 line plan with 3 people already on smart phones.

I then asked about BOGO, as we had two lines due. I got the Droid2 for 250-100MIR. He said the Incredible was $199 but he'd credit the full $199 as the free. What?? nice.. So, I said 250-100 and the $20 early upgrade fee. (my primary line at 1 year) Then he said, we'll you're a good customer so I'll waive that. Booyah. I added an accessory for the incredible, a car charger and case for $22 to sweeten it a little.

So our $250/mo bill goes down to say $210 and two more lines get unlimited data. NICE Maybe I should have went Galaxy S, but I wasn't going to get too picky.

OP
I

ISUVetMed

Reaction score
Glad to hear you got it as well. My biggest problem is that none of the lines are eligible for upgrades until April/May so they cant really take advantage of the unlimited data. Doesn't really hurt us as we came out even on our bill to what we had before but they would both upgrade to smartphones if I can find a way to get them an early upgrade.

jstafford1

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Twitter
jstaff79
Verizons been pretty stingy with the early upgrades. Although I would see what the holidays hold. I usually get a early upgrade promo for xmas every year. But if I ask any other time its a "sorry you're not elibible." So I say be patient and see what happens between now and xmas.

Sent from somewhere...

OP
I

ISUVetMed

Reaction score
Verizons been pretty stingy with the early upgrades. Although I would see what the holidays hold. I usually get a early upgrade promo for xmas every year. But if I ask any other time its a "sorry you're not elibible." So I say be patient and see what happens between now and xmas.

Sent from somewhere...

Where do you get the early upgrade promo for? I have my email address signed up on the myverizon website but I havent ever gotten a promo email of any kind from them...

jstafford1

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Twitter
jstaff79
I get em in the mail. Got my D1 11 months early because of a holiday promo last year. Hoping I get one this year too. Been with VZW since they were Primeco or whatever, over 10yrs.

Sent from somewhere...

the3dolla

Reaction score
in the..

In the link in the first post. Go down to: Verizon Starts Testing Unlimited Everything Plans For $69.99 A Month

Then click where it says "Source: Verizon"

I almost get Leary on if I was added to the plan. It's a regular plan with the smart phone data discounted by $20on each line. I looked on MyVerizon and it doesn't seem different, but I guess it shouldn't until I get my next bill which will be Nov 24th.

My upgrade dates didn't change as well, but I don't think those change until you activate the phone anyways.

We'll see.. I'll know by end of the week!

tcassio

Reaction score
So how many of non mobile to mobile minutes do you get on the unlimited plans?

hemorrdroid

Reaction score
Yep, and 450 minutes on the single plan.

By the way, "My Verizon" app showed the change for me about 10 minutes after i made the call. I also recieved an email stating that it had changed, got one email for each line on my fam plan.