Tomorrow Officially Brings An End To True Unlimited Data For Verizon Customers

Str8Aro

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
LG G3
Ping 76 ms; 8.35 DL; 7.26 UL

These results are quite a bit better than a couple of weeks ago, where I had averages of 1.5 DL. I am out of contract and grandfathered unlimited. The VZW service here has gotten worse over the last year, as I used to get up to 18 GB on DL. I live in a small city under 4000 with a city of 50,000 nearby but I guess they could have congestion on their towers here. Maybe they should optimize their service for subscribers.

I rarely use 1 GB of data on a monthly cycle as I stay on home or work wifi most of the time. I use a VPN if on an open wifi.

tech_head

Silver Member
Reaction score
I typically hit 5-7GB per month.
The person who said Verizon makes about the same from an unlimited user as a 2GB user; you failed to include the $20/month subsidy for phones that I don't get. So my unlimited is costing $30 for data + $20 for the subsidy I still pay for a phone that I don't use so I can keep unlimited. So my unlimited costs me about $50/month.

I'm not complaining about the cost, but Verizon pushed everyone to an unlimited data plan years ago on smart phones. I asked way back before I started using data if I could just go WiFi? Verizon said if you have a smartphone, it's $30/month for data. No choice.

Now here we are years later and after shoving an unlimited plan down my throat to get income, they now want me to get off unlimited so they can make more money by charging me to sip as opposed to drink.

The cap isn't fair and they know it.
I pay for unlimited just like the guy that pays for 20GB/month.
The difference is, the rate is different and they get more from the other guy.
The impact on the network is the same. Also in networking terms 40% utilization is not a congested network.
They can just pick an arbitrary number. Anything below 80% is far from congested.

The FCC should step in.
Out of contract? If you have unlimited how is it possible to be "in contract" unless you have done an alternate line upgrade?

Wadman

Reaction score
I've gotta wonder about the top 5%. Is that nationwide, by area, by tower? That could make a huge difference.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
From what I was told that is 5% of the entire network. Not any given area. She did say that bigger cities would be affected more and smaller communities probably wouldnt have an issue. I went through all the criteria and she said that I met 2 of the critieria but not all of them so I would not be subject to "optimization." Just letting you all know what I was told....

akhenax

Silver Member
Reaction score
I typically hit 5-7GB per month.
The person who said Verizon makes about the same from an unlimited user as a 2GB user; you failed to include the $20/month subsidy for phones that I don't get. So my unlimited is costing $30 for data + $20 for the subsidy I still pay for a phone that I don't use so I can keep unlimited. So my unlimited costs me about $50/month.

I'm not complaining about the cost, but Verizon pushed everyone to an unlimited data plan years ago on smart phones. I asked way back before I started using data if I could just go WiFi? Verizon said if you have a smartphone, it's $30/month for data. No choice.

Let the church say Amen.

I too pay $50/month for unlimited data. So I think I should be able to get all the data I can to justify it's cost.

boidsonly

Reaction score
This is criminal and the FCC is aiding and abetting VZW in the act. You want me off my unlimited plan? I'll be moving my entire family to T-Mo. How is that for getting me off my plan, VZW?! ....
It is estimated that 18%-20% of VZW customers are still on the unlimited plan. If VZW were to lose that many customers as a result of this, their stock would tank....

cr6

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.dronewolfmedia.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Twitter
@dronewolfmedia
Someone mentioned places with free wifi...I never use free wifi spots. I have my NFC tag set to disable my wifi when I leave the house. There's things that "go bump in the night" on free wifi and I am not using it.
Same here....I don't use free wifi....I care about the security of my device more than my data usage. Besides, on unlimited, I shouldn't have to use free wifi from a coffee shop somewhere.

tap'n on my S5

Ollie

Droid Does
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note Edge - iPhone 6 Plus
This is criminal and the FCC is aiding and abetting VZW in the act. You want me off my unlimited plan? I'll be moving my entire family to T-Mo. How is that for getting me off my plan, VZW?! ....
It is estimated that 18%-20% of VZW customers are still on the unlimited plan. If VZW were to lose that many customers as a result of this, their stock would tank....

I, too, am switching to Tmo. Not from Verizon though. I'm ditching AT&T and it won't cost me a penny.

tech_head

Silver Member
Reaction score
Let the church say Amen.

I too pay $50/month for unlimited data. So I think I should be able to get all the data I can to justify it's cost.

Technically the price has increased by 2/3 for us unlimited users.
I don't use WiFi.. Why would I? I have unlimited data! DUH!
The only time I ever, ever switch WiFi on is if I want to connect to something in my house.
Besides WiFi is slow when you share a connection with everyone else.

zinethar

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 8 and Note 10
I use generally less than 3 gb/mo. They offer to 'let' me give up unlimited for my current payment and current plan if I trade unlimited for 6gb. Wow what a deal. I'd still have 450 minutes of phone and 500 text messages and crap data. I might feel less ripped off with unlimited talk and text and 10 gb for my same money (about 85/mo.)

Why do I care if I use so little? My unlimited to me is like a piggy bank. I don't use that daily but it is there for when I need it in an emergency. It is my safety net so I can control my costs.

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
I have several news apps that download content for offline consumption. Runs nearly 10 gigs a month (could be downloading multiple duplicates because of cache clearing, I'll have to check). I like it and don't intend to change,but unfortunately when I travel I have no option to do this over wifi.

And streaming music at the gym can burn another 2 gigs a month.

My speeds at home (bad signal, but I'm usualy on wifi at home) and my old phone means I'm already effectively throttled.

But I have serious misgivings about paying full retail for a new phone only to be throttled to the point it's unusable. I suppose if I buy from VZW I'll have 14 days (plus a few more weeks until I get the phone) to decide if I'm better off returning and getting a subsidized phone on a limited plan. Traveling as much as I do VZW is really my only choice.

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
Just ran speedtest on my laptop with wifi tether....18.7Mbps down, 8.9 up.

sst45jeff

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo
Ping 34 ms
Down 26.43 Mbps
Up 13.93 Mbps
Moto bionic 94% battery at time of test.

I originally got unlimited data because we used our phones for work to automatically upload photos from the field to our office. 400-500 photos a day.
I paid more at the time for unlimited data than the tiered package that was offered because I did not want to get overage fees.
Those of us who spent the extra money at the time for unlimited to insure no overage fees should not be getting punished or stripped of unlimited just to line Verizon's pockets with more money.

Mustang02

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P/5X
Fun times. From my Droid Maxx on an AWS enhanced tower. I have used 4.6GB of data this month.

soulpatch

Reaction score
2 Things...

1 - I thought part of the spectrum agreement for the 4G space ensured that Verizon was not allowed to throttle the users (though I guess there is a loop hole here since most contracts for the unlimited data lines have or are expiring and thus they "can" do what they want)

2 - Should they be allowed to throttle the 4G then there is nothing you can do for those clamoring for class action lawsuit. The contract states that you have unlimited access to data but no where does it give any type of speed guarentee. You are being slowed but you still technically have unlimitied data.

swc2001

Reaction score
Mustang02... try your test again later and see what you get if you dont mind. I am in Busy Bustling Houston and my Down was 29.86 and my up was 8.78. So virtually what it was yesterday.

Soulpatch I disagree with the part about Unlimited data being slowed.
If they limit your Unlimited datas capability..... it would be Limited Unlimited Data. (you may be right but I dont think so..... Also I am trying to say these things in a debating type way and not trying to be aggressive or mean. :) )
I dont know we'll see what happens if the FCC actually get involved or
not.