Tomorrow Officially Brings An End To True Unlimited Data For Verizon Customers

akhenax

Silver Member
Reaction score
I agree that there needs to be some way to verify how much a tower is being congested. The only reason I care is because TWC is cracking down on my internet use, and Verizon has pretty much been quiet. I guess it won't matter if I'm being throttled.

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
Do we need to meet all the requirements or just meet one in order to be throttled? I'm under contract till October of next year with my unlimited plan, kinda hoping that will save me from throttling since I'm most certainly in their top 5% if it only takes 4gb to be considered top 5 as I use about 30-50gb's a month.
As far as the write-up I saw on it, you have to be in that top 5% AND using a "congested" tower, so if you're out in the sticks with very few other people around, chances are you will be able to use as much as you want without being throttled.

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
I agree that there needs to be some way to verify how much a tower is being congested. The only reason I care is because TWC is cracking down on my internet use, and Verizon has pretty much been quiet. I guess it won't matter if I'm being throttled.
Would be nice if they provide you a warning as well. "Caution: Tower is experiencing high traffic. Speeds may be limited." At least then you'd know.

I doubt we'll see any information on specific traffic congestion.

Wadman

Reaction score
Spoke to a rep today. She said that there is no way to tell if towers are highly congested. What she said to me that I found interesting is that they attach a certain code to each unlimited plan. If your plan is not attached to this code then they won't throttle you. She also said you must meet all the criteria and to be in the to 5% of all users, you would have to use more than 100 gigs a month to even be close to the top. Do I trust this, kind of, but we will see. I told her that I was going to just switch to straight talk...she replied..they throttle too...and I replied...they throttle at a 100 bucks less a month so if im being throttled I might as well save my money. hopefully this wont affect too many of you.

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
Spoke to a rep today. She said that there is no way to tell if towers are highly congested. What she said to me that I found interesting is that they attach a certain code to each unlimited plan. If your plan is not attached to this code then they won't throttle you. She also said you must meet all the criteria and to be in the to 5% of all users, you would have to use more than 100 gigs a month to even be close to the top. Do I trust this, kind of, but we will see. I told her that I was going to just switch to straight talk...she replied..they throttle too...and I replied...they throttle at a 100 bucks less a month so if im being throttled I might as well save my money. hopefully this wont affect too many of you.
I've gotta wonder about the top 5%. Is that nationwide, by area, by tower? That could make a huge difference.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

kwatch

Reaction score

As far as the write-up I saw on it, you have to be in that top 5% AND using a "congested" tower, so if you're out in the sticks with very few other people around, chances are you will be able to use as much as you want without being throttled.

Should we worry about this if we have an unlimited data plan under contract?

Last edited:

swc2001

Reaction score
I think we should all take a Speed test today.... record its value and then come back to this thread tomorrow and take another speed test and then record if there is any difference or not.

I will start: At work my speed is 30Mb down and 10.5Mb up

Ollie

Droid Does
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note Edge - iPhone 6 Plus
Someone mentioned places with free wifi...I never use free wifi spots. I have my NFC tag set to disable my wifi when I leave the house. There's things that "go bump in the night" on free wifi and I am not using it.

jmartens8

Reaction score
I'm on unlimited and so far this billing cycle I've used 6.44GB with 10 days to go. I guess I'm in the top 5%.
Speedtest results 26.18Mbps down / 1.15Mbps up

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
Someone mentioned places with free wifi...I never use free wifi spots. I have my NFC tag set to disable my wifi when I leave the house. There's things that "go bump in the night" on free wifi and I am not using it.
Well, you have to be a bit more careful, but it's possible to use free WiFi safely.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

swc2001

Reaction score
I am at 101 Gigabytes with 9 days left on my cycle!
One thing I am curious about.... lets say I am one of the ones being throttled (NO doubt I will be LOL) I wonder what they are going to bust the speeds down to. If I have 1.5 to 3 Mbps I can do what I do with my phone today and be virtually unaffected. Heres hoping that is the case.
wont hold my breath though.

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
I am at 101 Gigabytes with 9 days left on my cycle!
One thing I am curious about.... lets say I am one of the ones being throttled (NO doubt I will be LOL) I wonder what they are going to bust the speeds down to. If I have 1.5 to 3 Mbps I can do what I do with my phone today and be virtually unaffected. Heres hoping that is the case.
wont hold my breath though.
I wouldn't think it'd be any less than 1.5. They're looking to slow you down, not disconnect you completely.

And, again, this only matter if you're connected to what they call a "congested" tower.

I still have to wonder if they're just going to let you assume that your speeds are crap because you're connected to one of those towers, or if they'll send you some kind of alert to warn you about your usage...