Verizon Goes From Evil Maniac To Perfect Angel, Kills Throttling UDP, Instead announces Double Data

bigmatt503

Reaction score
by the way.... just curious.... what is Verizons Early termination fee on a cell phone line?
Mine says 350 per phone and for each month fulfilled 10 dollars off.. Never heard the 250

Sent from my rooted galaxy s5 using Tapatalk pro

PereDroid

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Turbo 2
I swear it USED to be $250. But you're right: You may terminate service for any reason within 14 days of activation. If you purchased a wireless device at a promotional price at the time of activation, you must return it within the device return period to avoid being assessed an Early Termination Fee of $175, or $350 if you purchased an Advanced Device.

Chidoro42

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Razr Maxx HD
Some just buy an older phone on swappa in order to stay unlimited

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I don't know about the evil maniac to perfect angel, but I know one thing for sure as I've experienced in the past and as I've gotten wiser (older), calmer heads tend to prevail. I didn't move my plan from my coveted unlimited data for my 2 phones, and have no plans in doing so because as far as I'm concerned no other carrier in the entire nation provides coverage like verizon does. Also, I've been a customer of Verizon, aka Bell Atlantic mobile for 20 years now and have the same phone numbers for that length of time. During that 20 years, Verizon has provided me with numerous upgrades and has given me credit to my account and sent me accessories free of charge, and even replaced phones they were out of warranty. All I had to do was complain long enough and with enough graciousness. I wouldn't get nearly the support from any of the other carriers that I have from Verizon historically and so as a result they'll have to tear my unlimited data plans for my dying hands.
For literally 2 decades Verizon did the same thing for me to compensate for their coverage woes and errors but in the end I just felt no matter what bells and whistles they used to mask craptacular service it was craptacular service with a few bones thrown my way to keep me under contract. The renewal fee for my existing lines (aka activation fee) was the line in the sand. Being in contact with the gentleman in charge of new cells being installed and having him shot down by His superiors in New Jersey was the step onto the wrong side of the line. I don't care if they gave me unlimited data for $1 a month, it was a waste of money because I could not use Verizon data network in my world and Verizon's answer was bye bye so I spoke with my wallet and left. I still get a bill every month with a "$0 due" so I guess they figure I'm coming back any day now and haven't closed my account? I left in May.

Sent from my LG-D801 using Tapatalk

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
For literally 2 decades Verizon did the same thing for me to compensate for their coverage woes and errors but in the end I just felt no matter what bells and whistles they used to mask craptacular service it was craptacular service with a few bones thrown my way to keep me under contract. The renewal fee for my existing lines (aka activation fee) was the line in the sand. Being in contact with the gentleman in charge of new cells being installed and having him shot down by His superiors in New Jersey was the step onto the wrong side of the line. I don't care if they gave me unlimited data for $1 a month, it was a waste of money because I could not use Verizon data network in my world and Verizon's answer was bye bye so I spoke with my wallet and left. I still get a bill every month with a "$0 due" so I guess they figure I'm coming back any day now and haven't closed my account? I left in May.

Sent from my LG-D801 using Tapatalk
And I'm not here to dispute your experiences with them. I do wish to say that the concessions they have made for me weren't for lack of quality service or poor reception, etc. They were for things like upgrades from one phone to another due to a warranty issue, and since car kits, cases, etc. didn't fit the new phones, they gave me replacement cases, etc., or credited my bill for the costs. In one upgrade they replaced two phones and completely covered the costs of deinstall and reinstall of two cars including the costs of both full car kits! We're not talking a few bucks but more like several hundred dollars for each vehicle! They also provided new cases.

In my last support issue with them, they took back my several month old S4 after the firmware upgrade failed miserably and replaced the phone with the then brand new Droid MAXX...completely free.

Also with respect to cellular service, my area has virtually always been far better with Verizon than with any other carrier. In some cases certain other carriers had essentially no functioning network in my area where Verizon was not only strong but head and shoulders above the carriers that did have coverage in those areas.

What I'm saying is YRMV, but for me I can't even begin to expect another carrier would even come close to what Verizon has done for me in respect to customer service and support.

Last edited:

cr6

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.dronewolfmedia.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Twitter
@dronewolfmedia
I agree Foxkat. I understand that not everyone has had the same experience as me, but with my 18+ years with Verizon, I've been more than happy with how they've treated me when issues have occurred. I understand they are a large greedy company out to make as much money as possible, but every company is out to make as much money possible. Sure, some companies do things different than others in the process, but as a whole, I've always had great coverage and great customer service experiences. Sure I've talked to my share of less than knowledgeable reps, but this occurs in any line of business.
Overall, I've been extremely satisfied with Verizon.

tap'n on my S5

nonnasmyladie

Reaction score
Website
www.leonhascal.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
Nonnasmyladie
I have bought my last 4 phones off contract in order to keep unlimited data. I must say I think i was wrong in doing so. I thought the future was going to be 4g and big data apps but I actually use much less data now than I used to. I find that almost everyplace I go I have wifi. My house has wifi, my office, all my friends' homes, most bars and restaurants, and even parks now have hot spots. My verizon 4g is so slow that for the most part I don't even bother using it. These days I have trouble using 5G in a month. Some months I actually use under 1gb of data.

I have been stuck with Verizon for so long because of my grandfathered plan and I'm starting to wonder if it is worth it. I don't think I am even saving money with wifi so widely available. The next decent phone that comes out I might jump ship.

I think that is the real reason Verizon decided not to do it because they realized only a small number of people were dissenting and soon enough that small number of people would jump ship on their own.

Garemlin

Developer Relations
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
LG G3 (VZW), Nexus 7 v2
I don't really miss my unlimited or VZW for that matter. I left mostly because of cost. I currently have 4 smartphones with 10GB of shared data and unlimited call/text on AT&T and pay $50 less than I was paying for 2 unlimited data smartphones and a dumb phone with 800 minutes on VZW. I get just as good service and reception on AT&T for the most part.

Ollie

Droid Does
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note Edge - iPhone 6 Plus
Is this double data also for tablets? I still have the Xoom on a Verizon data plan for my mother.

Benzb1

Reaction score
I don't really miss my unlimited or VZW for that matter. I left mostly because of cost. I currently have 4 smartphones with 10GB of shared data and unlimited call/text on AT&T and pay $50 less than I was paying for 2 unlimited data smartphones and a dumb phone with 800 minutes on VZW. I get just as good service and reception on AT&T for the most part.
I'm actually in the process of deciding on whether I should go with Verizon or AT&T? I'm in Los Angeles. Any suggestions?