AT&T Tacks On $5 To Legacy Unlimited Data Plan Prices.

Discussion in 'Android News' started by DroidModderX, Jan 10, 2017.

1. DroidModderX

DroidModderX Super Moderator
    Staff Member Premium Member

Ratings:
    +2,168
    [​IMG]

Just as it was beginning to look like carriers may be trending back towards unlimited data plans the two largest carriers are actually taking measures to end these types of plans for good. Earlier in the week we found out that Verizon is going another step forward towards ending Grandfathered Data Plans for good by giving the Big Red Boot to any of it's unlimited data users who average 200GB or more. AT&T has also decided to raise the price of their Legacy Unlimited Data Plans by $5.

The price hike takes effect in March. AT&T will allow you to back out of your contract without incurring an early termination fee if you decide you don't want to be billed an extra $5. It is a nice sentiment, but it just goes to show that carriers are so ready to get rid of these plans they are even willing to give up that coveted ETF. You will have 60 days to cancel your service once the price increase hits. Unlimited data plans still won't throttle these packages if you decide to keep them unless of course you go over 22GB and find yourself in a congested area.

via AT&T

• Like Like x 1
  2. mountainbikermark

mountainbikermark Super Moderator
    Staff Member Premium Member

Ratings:
    +4,348
    Big difference between being given the boot and an extra $5 a month.
    $5 is $5. Being kicked off means new carrier that could very possibly be craptacular at reception and most likely phone that costs a lot more than $60 (12 months x $5) as well.
    Big difference.

Support Our Troops!!!
    Beast Mode 4

<><

3. akhenax

akhenax Silver Member

Ratings:
    +490
    That's it...I'm going to a carrier that cares about me as a customer. I'm going to a carrier that never does anything shady, and always gives me the best deal for my buck. I'm going to Verizon!

Just kidding.:p

If you can afford it, have great service with AT&T AND use lots of data, $5 more may be worth it.
    How much is an AT&T unlimited grandfathered plan run nowadays, $90 per line?

4. liftedplane

liftedplane Gold Member

Ratings:
    +837
    My verizon UDP is 49.99 a month, for each line, (I've got two of them) so.. I'm not sure if this is the first price hike from AT&T but it's better than the $20 big red slapped us with.

• Like Like x 1
  5. jackiescivic

jackiescivic Diamond Member

Ratings:
    +944
    This is the 2nd $5 price hike in the last year from AT&T to their legacy unlimited data users.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

6. cr6

cr6 Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Ratings:
    +6,703
    Current Phone Model:
    Galaxy S7 Edge
    Twitter:
    @dronewolfmedia
    That's what I say. IMO 5 bucks is chump change to keep your UDP! TBH, I had no problem when VZW said they were raising ours by $20, because really, we got to continue keeping it, and you can't put a price on that. (although, they will give it their best shot)

S7 Edge tap'n

• Like Like x 1
  7. liftedplane

liftedplane Gold Member

Ratings:
    +837
    exactly, even if it's the 2nd $5 raise it's still $10 behind verizon.

I probably won't pay $100 per line for UDP... $75 would really be pushing it....

Maybe I shouldn't post this, some D-bag at verizon corporate might accidentally come across this post and decide to raise the price :D