Verizon Goes From Evil Maniac To Perfect Angel, Kills Throttling UDP, Instead announces Double Data

Discussion in 'Android News' started by DroidModderX, Oct 1, 2014.

1. DroidModderX

DroidModderX Super Moderator
    Staff Member Premium Member

Ratings:
    +2,254
    Thanks!

2. FoxKat

FoxKat Premium Member
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +5,265
    Current Phone Model:
    Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
    +1

3. nonnasmyladie

nonnasmyladie Member

Ratings:
    +5
    Current Phone Model:
    Pixel XL
    Twitter:
    Nonnasmyladie
    I have bought my last 4 phones off contract in order to keep unlimited data. I must say I think i was wrong in doing so. I thought the future was going to be 4g and big data apps but I actually use much less data now than I used to. I find that almost everyplace I go I have wifi. My house has wifi, my office, all my friends' homes, most bars and restaurants, and even parks now have hot spots. My verizon 4g is so slow that for the most part I don't even bother using it. These days I have trouble using 5G in a month. Some months I actually use under 1gb of data.

I have been stuck with Verizon for so long because of my grandfathered plan and I'm starting to wonder if it is worth it. I don't think I am even saving money with wifi so widely available. The next decent phone that comes out I might jump ship.

I think that is the real reason Verizon decided not to do it because they realized only a small number of people were dissenting and soon enough that small number of people would jump ship on their own.

4. Garemlin

Garemlin Developer Relations

Ratings:
    +403
    Current Phone Model:
    LG G3 (VZW), Nexus 7 v2
    I don't really miss my unlimited or VZW for that matter. I left mostly because of cost. I currently have 4 smartphones with 10GB of shared data and unlimited call/text on AT&T and pay $50 less than I was paying for 2 unlimited data smartphones and a dumb phone with 800 minutes on VZW. I get just as good service and reception on AT&T for the most part.

5. Ollie

Ollie Droid Does

Ratings:
    +2,479
    Current Phone Model:
    Note Edge - iPhone 6 Plus
    Is this double data also for tablets? I still have the Xoom on a Verizon data plan for my mother.

6. Benzb1

Benzb1 New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I'm actually in the process of deciding on whether I should go with Verizon or AT&T? I'm in Los Angeles. Any suggestions?

7. cr6

cr6 Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Ratings:
    +6,685
    Current Phone Model:
    Galaxy S7 Edge
    Twitter:
    @dronewolfmedia
    Welcome to the forum benzb1!
    It's really a matter of preference and your budget in a big city like LA, as both should offer excellent coverage. Good luck with your decision.

tap'n on my S5

8. jackiescivic

jackiescivic Diamond Member

Ratings:
    +952
    I believe it is only for the More Everything plan, not Data Only

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

9. Ollie

Ollie Droid Does

Ratings:
    +2,479
    Current Phone Model:
    Note Edge - iPhone 6 Plus
    Yes, that is correct.

10. MissionImprobable

MissionImprobable Silver Member

Ratings:
    +169
    The more I think about this the more I just want to walk away. We pay a ridiculous amount of money a year, and as others have said elsewhere, most of us were generally forced into Unlimited Data to begin with. The original tiered plans a few years ago were so paltry for the money that it only made sense to pay $10 or so more per month to have it. Now they've gone the opposite direction and are trying to force everyone to tiered data, and were planning to throttle those who have unlimited and they consider "excessive" users.

Unlimited is unlimited. AT&T tried this back in the day, giving people "unlimited" texting, then charging them if they went over 1000 or so texts, when it cost them almost nothing to process texts even back then. I absolutely despise the way VZ has continued to handle its customers as a whole, and the worst part of it is that it is only a few individuals at the top who make these decisions. I never get bad service from reps, or tech support, but the company as it stands absolutely pisses me off to no end, knowing that I am funneling money into it. Everyone likes being successful, and companies need to be successful to thrive, but every year it becomes clearer and clearer that all VZ's top execs give two craps about is the bottom line. Further, even if I buy phones from them and something goes wrong, I have to hope that if I've made tweaks that I can take everything back to stock before sending said device in despite the failure simply being a result of issues with the device itself. Heck, you technically void your warranty through VZ simply by getting rid of the horrid bloat they pack Androids with--the stuff is non-existent on Apple devices.

I've gone off on a tangent here, so let me just close by saying that VZ continues to poke the bear for no effing reason, and they suck for it. Not eloquent, but VZ deserves nothing of class in the way I address them. They have gotten worse and worse and worse by the year; better coverage, worse in almost every other regard.

11. mountainbikermark

mountainbikermark Super Moderator
    Staff Member Premium Member

Ratings:
    +4,334
    In the past AT&T had great reception in bigger markets and cities but HORRID congestion, resulting in terrible overall experiences. Over the last couple of years while Verizon rested on its laurels, AT&T had made huge strides in alleviating congestion all across the nation while expanding into more rural areas at the same time.

Sent from my LG-D801 using Tapatalk

Search tags for this page

how to dispute mobile data charges

how to keep verizon udp

udp verizon cost

verizon udp throttling