To Root or not to Root... seriously that is the question.

Raychelrn

Reaction score
Help please........:pGetting the idea that I really need to root my phone to use it at it's full potential...however I have no idea what I'm doing and am terrified to get in over my head, break my phone, and void the warrenty. Especially since I dont even have it in my hot little hands yet (due to come via fedex tomorrow).

Corinacakes

Super Moderator
Theme Developer
Reaction score
If you were asking about the droid 1 I'd say DO IT...no question. I'm still scared about the X thing tho :shocked:

scoder

Reaction score
I thought the Droid X root was a one-button-press process?

Search it on youtube, there are many videos there on how to root your X.

liferefugee

Reaction score
Personally I think there is enough info out there to take the plunge. Always remember these 3 key tips though...

1) make a good backup so you can restore
2) make a good backup so you can restore
3) make a good backup so you can restore

Unless you manage to turn your phone into a paper weight, if you have a good backup you can always restore to "out of the box" restoring your warrenty should you need big red to look at your phone.

Backnblack

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7+ 256gb
Run it for a while, then decide if you need to root.
I've had mine since launch and it's still stock and smoking :)

xeene

Gold Member
Reaction score
i used a one click root program on my pc to root the droid, my friend used an easy root app from market. both are pretty much fool proof in my opinion. worst case is you take it back to verizon, play dumb and they'll reflash your phone.

Darkseider

Reaction score
Just do it. You will then realize the true power of the dark side.

wdprice3

Reaction score
universal androot is free and probably your best option. it works great, it's one touch.

LadyPhoenix

Reaction score
Help please........:pGetting the idea that I really need to root my phone to use it at it's full potential...however I have no idea what I'm doing and am terrified to get in over my head, break my phone, and void the warrenty. Especially since I dont even have it in my hot little hands yet (due to come via fedex tomorrow).

I feel the same way. I see from the forum
a rooted DX is DX on steriods,
but i too am fearful of 'breaking' my DX

Lordbutt

Reaction score
Nutten to fear but fear itself.

You have nothing to fear if you can read and write and follow instructions. I am a 68 year old man who got a Droid X about 3 weeks ago. It came with Android Ver.2.1. I rooted it manually following directions I found on the web. Then I installed Leaked Ver.2.2. Yesterday I manually deodexed my system. A couple of times I nearly had a heart attack when something didn't work and/or the phone hung or wouldn't boot. Not to worry. The DROID X can't really be "Bricked." You can always start over by flashing back to the original 2.1 (if you get rooted first, and then you backup, you'll never have to start over).

wmscottmc

Reaction score
Personally I think there is enough info out there to take the plunge. Always remember these 3 key tips though...

1) make a good backup so you can restore
2) make a good backup so you can restore
3) make a good backup so you can restore

Unless you manage to turn your phone into a paper weight, if you have a good backup you can always restore to "out of the box" restoring your warrenty should you need big red to look at your phone.

How do you backup your phone 1st? In order to do a "full" backup including system and application data, you need to be rooted. The backup programs like MyBackup or Titanium will only do a full backup on rooted phones.

andylulzyou

Reaction score
So with Universal Androot I would just have to plug my phone in with the USB and drag the .apk file on to the phone and install when prompted to on the phone?

And from there it's once click access? Does it void warranty also?

dlmvegas

Reaction score
I saw a post on Droid X Forums about Easy Root. Well I went out to the Market and typed in Easy Root and nothing comes up. Where does one get this .99 cent application at if it can't be found on the market?

Sounds like the way to go.

Sydman

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P