Thunderbolt vs. Charge: some Q's and a poll

Big Ry

Reaction score
I've been considering getting a new phone for a couple months now. I'm not overly excited with the 4G devices out right now on VZW, but my D2 is being such a piece of junk I'm about to throw it at the wall. And I have another upgrade in the fall anyway if I decide I want something new.

I've compared the specs between the Charge and Thunderbolt, but I seem to find some discrepancies between different websites. I was hoping you guys (preferably Tbolt/Charge owners) could clear some up.

Which has HDMI-out? Ive seen sites say the Tbolt does and charge doesn't and I've seen sites that say just the opposite.

Do either of these devices have Gorilla glass like the Moto's do? Scratch-proof is almost a must-have for me now...

I will be living in a non-4G area until at least December. I know the Tbolt had issues in non-4G areas, but I'd read about a fix for it. Does the Charge have similar issues? And has there been any software updates from VZW/HTC that have addressed the Tbolt's issue yet?

How much RAM does the Charge have? I swear I've seen it somewhere before, but now all I see posted anywhere is memory.

They both have the identical Snapdragon (Cortex A8 1GHz IIRC) processor, correct?

Samsung claims the Charge has Blutooth 3.0, but Ive seen other sites that state only 2.1. Which is it?

They both come with 32GB microSD cards, correct? I had previously heard that the Charge came with an 8 or 16.

Now I am aware of a few problems with the Tbolt (battery issues, random reboots, sluggish when charging). The last issue I just listed I experienced personally on 2 Tbolts at a VZW corporate store. I havent heard much about the Charge though. I plan to go play with them (and possibly the Revo) tonight or tomorrow at a VZW corporate store, so I get to experience their fluidity and glitches first hand. But if you current owners could please chose one over the other in my poll, that'd be a big help. Any input on the "user experience" is also greatly appreciated. I'm so sick of sluggish, choppy phones that constantly freeze and do weird stuff **cough** D1 & D2 **cough**

edit: I decided to add the Revo to the poll just incase it actually is a viable option (spec wise, it looks quite poor).

Last edited:

Beka27

Reaction score
I think the charge is the clear winner between the two... I'd really suggest you hold out a few more weeks tho.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
After spending over a month comparing the charge and the tb, I got the charge a week ago (the rev was taken out of the ruining after the first time playing with the ones at vzw... Horrible screen quality). I have no regrets at all with my charge. Previous phones were a rooted og droid and an incredible.

I am not in a 4g area and I have had no problems at all with the 3g.

I also have not had any dropped calls on it at all and usually my home area always had dropped calls b/c rural and weak signal. It absolutely surprises me and what I worried about most b/c some phones have always done worse than others at my house but this one is excellent.

Hdmi-charge yes, tb no.

Bluetooth-maybe 2.2.1, thats what I see when I look at the app from my phone. Supposed to be 3.0. I believe it is better than tb though.

RAM-328 mb

Charge processor is 1ghz hummingbird.

Charge came with a 32gb sd card. Tb is also supposed to come with the same.

I have not noticed any lag unless I am running several applications at once but even then it is barely noticeable. Not choppy. No freezes, not one reboot.

Average about 10-12 hours battery life with normal usage.

I love it.

Sent from my SCH-I510 using DroidForums

OP
Big Ry

Big Ry

Reaction score
I think the charge is the clear winner between the two... I'd really suggest you hold out a few more weeks tho.

Why should I hold out?

As nice as the bionic specs are, I'm so done with moto at this point.

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk

DroidXDoes4G

Reaction score

Why should I hold out?

Why? They might get the Bionic's bootloader unlocked. And if all the rumours are true, it should be a great phone.

OP
Big Ry

Big Ry

Reaction score
After spending over a month comparing the charge and the tb, I got the charge a week ago (the rev was taken out of the ruining after the first time playing with the ones at vzw... Horrible screen quality). I have no regrets at all with my charge. Previous phones were a rooted og droid and an incredible.

I am not in a 4g area and I have had no problems at all with the 3g.

I also have not had any dropped calls on it at all and usually my home area always had dropped calls b/c rural and weak signal. It absolutely surprises me and what I worried about most b/c some phones have always done worse than others at my house but this one is excellent.

Hdmi-charge yes, tb no.

Bluetooth-maybe 2.2.1, thats what I see when I look at the app from my phone. Supposed to be 3.0. I believe it is better than tb though.

RAM-328 mb

Charge processor is 1ghz hummingbird.

Charge came with a 32gb sd card. Tb is also supposed to come with the same.

I have not noticed any lag unless I am running several applications at once but even then it is barely noticeable. Not choppy. No freezes, not one reboot.

Average about 10-12 hours battery life with normal usage.

I love it.

Sent from my SCH-I510 using DroidForums

Great reply, thank you.

But only 328mb ram? That's really depressing.

I played with the phones tonight and it was tough. The tbolt didn't have that same lag that the other 2 had at another vzw store. Revo was snappy and had a decent camera, but the specs still worry me. Charge was very nice. That screen is gorgeous and the camera took decent photos. It had launcherpro running and ran quite smooth.

OP
Big Ry

Big Ry

Reaction score

Why should I hold out?

Why? They might get the Bionic's bootloader unlocked. And if all the rumours are true, it should be a great phone.

Moto makes sluggish choppy garbage. I've used them all and they're all the same. Moto can't hold a candle to HTC or sammy

metalspring

Silver Member
Reaction score
...except for the OG Droid...if you rooted and put custom roms on anyway...my D1 is STILL a good phone despite being so old...moto just needs to get their heads out of their a**es so to speak and they'll blow away the competition

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums

alboboy10

Reaction score
Why should I hold out?

Moto makes sluggish choppy garbage. I've used them all and they're all the same. Moto can't hold a candle to HTC or sammy

Lol my girlfriends atrix flies...faster than my tb and I'm rooted.

Sluggish choppy garbage was the last thing I thought when I touched or looked at that phone.

OP
Big Ry

Big Ry

Reaction score
...except for the OG Droid...if you rooted and put custom roms on anyway...my D1 is STILL a good phone despite being so old...moto just needs to get their heads out of their a**es so to speak and they'll blow away the competition

Nope, rooted on many different Roms, OCed, the whole 9...all 5 of my D1s still couldn't hold a candle to the dinc or galaxy s

OP
Big Ry

Big Ry

Reaction score

Sluggish choppy garbage was the last thing I thought when I touched or looked at that phone.

Well u can argue it to death. I have an atrix here right in front of me and its just like the rest. Maybe its all subjective, but I know I'm done with moto.

alboboy10

Reaction score

Well u can argue it to death. I have an atrix here right in front of me and its just like the rest. Maybe its all subjective, but I know I'm done with moto.

htc is smoother...can depend on the phone as well though. I had two motos they were definitely laggier than my current phone. But I'm also rooted though.

Guys at engadget gave the atrix a better rating and they said it flies. I like the screen too.

OP
Big Ry

Big Ry

Reaction score

htc is smoother...can depend on the phone as well though. I had two motos they were definitely laggier than my current phone. But I'm also rooted though.

Guys at engadget gave the atrix a better rating and they said it flies. I like the screen too.

I agree that the atrix beats the D1 and D2 but I like the tbolt and charge much better

kookk

Reaction score
I agree with avoiding moto. I hated my x2, glad I sold it. Every moto phone I've had except my d1 was choppy and laggy. I'm not a huge fan of samsung, I don't like plastic feeling phones, but they still make good products.

Personally I'm waiting for htc to make a dual core 4g phone that doesn't have issues like the tb. Until then I'm on my trusty d1

metalspring

Silver Member
Reaction score
Hmm, I guess I just have a good option of motos quality from my D1 being awesome lol, I'm still looking forward to the bionic though, hopefully moto manages another phone like the good ol' D1