Why 2 buy Tbolt & not Bionic

MrNiceGuy

Reaction score
I got confirmation this week Bionic isn't coming out until late July. The Samsung Charge is the next 4G phone coming out in May.

Originally I planned to get the Bionic, but now its looking like I'm going with Tbolt since Bionic want be here until end of July.

By which time VZW will have most likely tiered data and will have done away with 1 yr contracts.

VZW is doing away w/ 1 yr contracts on 4/17.

Irishdoom

Reaction score
I WAS going to go with VZ early on (I'm still shopping right now), but they were both the most expensive and the most limiting for me. (Like they have no cheap data plan, for a Smartphone for the wife who doesn't NEED unlimited.) So in a way I'm glad the Bionic got pushed, since I might have pulled the trigger were it out already. :)

gflam

Developer
Developer
Theme Developer
Reaction score
I dunno i still think i want to wait until the bionic comes out because what if it just ends up being great i think it's best to wait and know all the specs of it and the boot loader situation etc before diving into another phone although i am too leaning towards a tbolt

zero7404

Reaction score
so, because you cannot wait a few months, you will go get another device.

OP
M

MrNiceGuy

Reaction score

yes

mainly b/c its more important to me to not sign a 2 yr contract. if i wait until bionic comes out i'll have to sign a 2 year contract. by july 2013, bionic will be like the original droid is now. i think i'll be happy w/ the Tbolt for a year knowing the only real con is battery. plus I get to upgrade again next April.

OP
M

MrNiceGuy

Reaction score
I WAS going to go with VZ early on (I'm still shopping right now), but they were both the most expensive and the most limiting for me. (Like they have no cheap data plan, for a Smartphone for the wife who doesn't NEED unlimited.) So in a way I'm glad the Bionic got pushed, since I might have pulled the trigger were it out already. :)

i agree you should wait if you don't care about signing 2yr contract or paying for tiered data.

vzdroid13

Reaction score
I got confirmation this week Bionic isn't coming out until late July. The Samsung Charge is the next 4G phone coming out in May.

Originally I planned to get the Bionic, but now its looking like I'm going with Tbolt since Bionic want be here until end of July.

By which time VZW will have most likely tiered data and will have done away with 1 yr contracts.

VZW is doing away w/ 1 yr contracts on 4/17.

Are you sure? Motorola and Verizon have clearly said Q2 and I don't think there has been anything official to refute that. Why would Motorola push it back that far when their stocks are beginning to drop because of previous rumors that there is a delay. They wasted no time in getting the Xoom and the Atrix out the door, and I would believe they would want the Bionic out as soon as possible as well.

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums

gflam

Developer
Developer
Theme Developer
Reaction score

yes

mainly b/c its more important to me to not sign a 2 yr contract. if i wait until bionic comes out i'll have to sign a 2 year contract. by july 2013, bionic will be like the original droid is now. i think i'll be happy w/ the Tbolt for a year knowing the only real con is battery. plus I get to upgrade again next April.

I think the og droid is still in a nice place it's still being deved for and a lot of cool things are still being adapted for it I still very much enjoy my d1 :)

TRIKOTRET

Reaction score
So many new phones coming out at the same time. Kinda hard to chose dancedroid

OP
M

MrNiceGuy

Reaction score

yes

I think the og droid is still in a nice place it's still being deved for and a lot of cool things are still being adapted for it I still very much enjoy my d1 :)

just saying, think about how many new droids have come out since droid 1 and now

to each his on, but i hated the d1

Irishdoom

Reaction score
I know they may not be the most popular right now, but I'm going with T-Mobile and the G2X that comes out on the 15th. Dual-core processor + vanilla Android? Yes, please. Lock me in for 2 years at your rates, too! :)

zero7404

Reaction score

yes

unsure of what you mean by having to sign a 2-yr contract as opposed to not doing so if you got a tb ....

vzw is making changes to pricing and available plans/add-on's, could be to your advantage to hang on to your month-to-month until things play out this summer.

personally, i would not choose the tb, having looked at the device in person, it's not as optimized a design as i'd like to be stuck with for a year or 2. i also will not be going the route of contracts/extensions anymore with carriers, so when my time is up or i want a new device, i'll elect to keep going month-to-month and just buy the phone i want without a contract.

i think the bionic is nicer hardware, i saw how htc slid the speakerphone underneath the kickstand, poor design imo ....

also, in the coming months the playing field will change with the t-mob buyout, so things will get more competitive real soon ... the non-tech savvy outnumber the tech savvy, so to them 4G is 4G, they don't care about the technology behind AT&T's adaptation or Verizons' in the face of the monthly plan costs and devices available.

i would choose vzw's LTE over at&t's 4G, but i'm tech savvy.

Beardface

Reaction score
Here's another reason...

Bionic will be the most locked down device we have seen to date. The TBolt has already been rooted and overclocked.

You're stuck with what you're given and whats loaded on the device for the Bionic. With the TBolt, freedom is your friend.

tcayton49

Reaction score
First of all, unless you're golfing partners with the CEO of either moto or vzw, I wouldn't take your "confirmation" as a true confirmation. Seems like confirmations are a dime a dozen these days. As of right now I've heard "confirmations" of "soon", April 14, April 21, May 5, "sometime in may", "sometime in June", and now late July.The only official announcement has been Q2. If they weren't going to make that deadline, i'm sure they would make an official announcement of a delay. Alls i'm saying is don't let the expectation that it will be late July effect your decision. If you wanna believe late June, since that is the end of Q2, you could go with that, but I wouldn't put stock in any other confirmations.

Just my $.02

And no, there is no second of all.

leonozug

Reaction score
Until the Bionic actually comes out and you can actually hold it in your hand and physically test it against a Thunderbolt, how can you seriously compare the two and say which one is better? How can you say the Thunderbolt is better? You can't. The Bionic at CES was pretty much an X running the new Gingerbread skin. The quadrant test I seen posted on the Bionic that someone took at CES said it was running only single core. Until you see the finished product, you really can't have a clear better choice. We have no indications of the Bionics real speed, power or battery life. Let's cross the line on this subject when we actually get to do it. A lot of what people are saying about the Bionic is just rumors and speculation. We really don't know much about it yet.