1. You want that $100.00 in your pocket or an Amazon Fire TV don't you? Well here's the deal. With our new updated look we are in desperate need of an updated logo. The 'old' one has certainly served us well, but it's time. Find all the details here: bit.ly/1q0k6Wa
  2. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

Time for a new Droid - Charge Vs. Thunderbolt?

Discussion in 'Android General Discussions' started by ChrisTech, Jun 19, 2011.

1. ChrisTech

ChrisTech New Member

My Original Droid is to its breaking point. The phone locks up like crazy, the stock dialer app will freeze for no apparent reason. The touch screen seems to think it doesn't need to work all the time. I used a friend's old OG Droid for a bit as well, and I think its juts EoL for the OG Droid's. Same issues on both phones. I rooted both of them, they are on version 2.2.2. A few root apps on it, mainly to remove ads and open up some stuff. I never loaded a ROM on either of the phones.

Thinking its just time to upgrade. I am in an 4G LTE extended coverage area and about 500 feet from 4G LTE coverage area, so soon it should be full coverage. My workplace is covered in 4G LTE, so that's a plus. I want a 4G LTE device. I have Verizon for my provider & I want to stay with them.

I've been trying to compare the Droid Charge by Samsung vs. the Thunderbolt by HTC. I looked at the specs for the upcoming Droid 3, but no 4G on that device (boo).

Wanted to hear from others the pros or cons on each phone. If anyone owns them and knows if one if buggy or one has an advantage over the other. Any information is well welcome!

Thanks in advance!
  2. coronanlime247

coronanlime247 New Member

In the same boat. Dont know whether to hold out for a little longer to see what new phones come out. There seems to be many and I am looking for 4G, something that can be hacked, and has a good amount of ram on it, and dual core. Any suggestions?
  3. Suuperflie

Suuperflie New Member

If you want dual core and 4g then you don't want any Verizon phone that's out yet, because there isn't one that has both yet. Rumors are we should see at least 1 in either July or August. If you can't wait that long, then you'll have to decide what you want more, 4g lte or dual core. I believe the only dual core phone out right now is the X2, but no 4g. I your choice is just between the Tbolt and Charge, I'd probably go with the TBolt because the Charge doesn't have any more to offer than the TBolt except an extra $100 out of your pocket.
    That's just my $.02
  4. matt2783

matt2783 New Member

HDMI mirroring and better battery life. Still though, I agree. If I were in that position I'd go with the TB, mainly because it has good dev support, it's cheaper and isn't ugly.
  5. takeshi

takeshi New Member

Given the last sentence quoted above, it's a bit early IMO to proclaim the patient dead. There are certainly performance improvements to be had from loading a custom ROM. My Droid isn't the fastest device out there but it's far from EOL running Bugless. Software issues can be fixed. They're not permanent problems as the OP seems to state.
  6. ChrisTech

ChrisTech New Member

The 2nd one I received from a friend, I did a factor reset on it. Had issues within the first week. Same issues I saw with mine.

I guess I need to see about loading a custom rom. Only problem is I keep getting to "play" with other people's newer phones that are much more touch sensitive and much faster devices. (phone envy!)
  7. Droidram56

Droidram56 New Member

My original Droid is a little slow at times, but otherwise still works great. I am eligible for an upgrade but have opted to wait until Verizon releases some more phones during 3rd quarter 2011 (e.g., Droid Bionic and Galaxy S II Function). The TB, Droid Charge, and Droid X2 all seem to have issues.
  8. ChrisTech

ChrisTech New Member

I think the big killer is the "rumors" of Verizon's new tiered data plans. Info via ABG.

Guess Sprint still has "unlimited" still...
  9. inversesrevni

inversesrevni New Member

I told everyone it was happening, now everyone is gonna complain about not getting 4g when it was freely data unlimited

Delivered by Lighting, trembling with Thunder.
  10. ChrisTech

ChrisTech New Member

I got a Droid Charge. Mainly need it for work/personal email and web access. Games are always much more fun on a larger screen & faster processor.

I haven't rooted it yet, haven't had time. Maybe next week.

The area I'm in I see 5Mbit/2.5Mbit (down/up) for 4G which I'm happy with.
Search tags for this page

htc thunderbolt dialer locks up