Thunderbolt General Discussion - This is Not A Release Date Discussion

shortsxit

Reaction score
Here is a legitimate question, what do you feel are the best alternatives to a Thunderbolt right now?

Clearly I'm convinced that TB is soon-to-be the best phone on the market. However, we still don't know what the pricing plan will look like for the phone and there is a possibility that it might make the phone unattractive.

So, if you wanted to buy a phone TODAY -- which phone would it be and why?

The Incredible? Atrix? Evo? Inspire? Droid X? iPhone 4?

I think it mostly depends on what provider you're on. The EVO seems really nice, but I wouldn't switch to Sprint just go have it.

I'd look at either the Incredible or Droid X. The Incredible is nice except I hear it has pretty poor battery life (which can be fixed with an extended battery.) The Droid X is nice, as well except I hate Blur. It has a nice, big screen, though, just like the Tbolt.

It just depends on what you're looking for. There are a lot of phones coming out fairly soon that are 3G only if the 4G pricing turns out to be a problem.

Reaction score
Guys, this is the 6-7-8 thread of this that I've seen, and it always gets shut down when people start arguing with each other and being disrespectful and not participating constructively on the boards when things don't go according to plan. I am seeing a cyclical pattern where things calm down, things like pics or documents or so-called insider info leaks, people speculate, people make claims, things get heated, things get shut down, repeat. Conspiracy? VZW probably isn't that smart, we mostly created this ordeal ourselves, but if they were they are either marketing geniuses or insane. Its probably much more simple, like the LTE network is not quite ready to have phones (forget about PC cards), because there are bugs or issues with it and it will get terrible reviews when the phones hit it on the same day. Unleashing their brand spanking shiny expensive new LTE network with any sort of connection or speed issues would be disaster for the stock prices. Boom.

Last edited:

motty69

Reaction score
Sorry to go off topic, but from what I've seen the reason these threads keep getting closed down is that there are a few TBolt haters that keep coming into the threads and getting people worked up. Two screenames come to mind but I'm not one to point fingers. They obviously don't want the phone and do nothing but trash it and the people who want it.

Hopefully they will stay away for a while.

Sent from my Eris

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
This isn't working. I said that the thread could stay open so long as release date wasn't speculated on. So far, I said there would only be one warning. So far there has been 3 responses directly related to the date (one was copied) and now the last won speculating why the delay.

We gave you 3 threads to do that on. On all 3 threads something happened to get them closed.

Now I have every right to close the thread now. But i know nobody looks at the first page of a thread and pays attention.

So here's what we're going to do. I will allow some speculation on when the phone arrives. However as I said if there is any swearing. Like on the previous post or anybody does something that is against the guidelines i'm not going to give another chance. And by doing this I'm probably getting my fellow mods upset but I want to be as fair as possible.

So you're going to have to police it yourself. You can't say cluster * everyone knows what that means. You I suggest that you click on my signature link and actually read the guidelines.

It's almost impossible not to allow some speculation but it's only a phone. Keep that in mind, please.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Sorry to go off topic, but from what I've seen the reason these threads keep getting closed down is that there are a few TBolt haters that keep coming into the threads and getting people worked up. Two screenames come to mind but I'm not one to point fingers. They obviously don't want the phone and do nothing but trash it and the people who want it.

Hopefully they will stay away for a while.

Sent from my Eris

The reason why the last thread was closed was because members were being disrespectful to each other. It's right there in the guidelines, it talks about respect.

Guidelines are right in my sig. You can't miss it.

stuigi

Reaction score
With all due respect Hook, I respect your desire to demand respect. Respectfully yours,
Stuigi.:)

Hey, if I don't make light of this, I might crack. My phone is being held together by duct tape

lilcdroid

Reaction score
ive had my og droid for quite some time now and never needed an extended battery. I use it quite frequently and would like to venture into a bigger battery for the bolt. What type of batteries are available to add life to this monster. I'm assuming it comes with the 1400? What, if any, are differences in size, brands, ect. or is there only one type of battery, but with bigger capabilites?

stuigi

Reaction score
Pretty sure it is supposed to come out with around the 1400. If HTC doesn't release a heavier battery initially, I imagine Seidio will in short order.

This is just a rumor, but the manager at my BB said that the issue with the phone was the battery and he heard the talk was replacing the 14400 with a 2300. Of course, as I said, just speculation

jkhonea

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
www.oldesouthdesign.com
I wouldn't be surprised to see a bigger battery, but I doubt a 2300. A battery that size would require a completely new back for the phone. No way it could fit under the initial stock. Going back and reproducing entirely new back covers for the phone this late in the game would be a very bad thing.

rushmore

Reaction score
Yep. Too late for new batteries in the bill of material. Sure hope there is a mod to the report of no way to manually switch off 4G. Autoswitch can be bad news for battery/polling reasons. We need to be able to turn it off when not needed.

Pretty good chance the HTC extended battery will see high aftermarket sales. It has a new cover, but not sure if it still has a stand...

I have the mega size Seidio in the Inc. Handy for wifi tethering :)

Last edited:

jkhonea

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
www.oldesouthdesign.com
Didn't think about the stand but that may definitely play into the issues. I hadn't considered that. I agree, it would be really good to be able to turn off 4G automatically so it isn't constantly searching for it.

2001400ex

Reaction score
This isn't working. I said that the thread could stay open so long as release date wasn't speculated on. So far, I said there would only be one warning. So far there has been 3 responses directly related to the date (one was copied) and now the last won speculating why the delay.

We gave you 3 threads to do that on. On all 3 threads something happened to get them closed.

Now I have every right to close the thread now. But i know nobody looks at the first page of a thread and pays attention.

So here's what we're going to do. I will allow some speculation on when the phone arrives. However as I said if there is any swearing. Like on the previous post or anybody does something that is against the guidelines i'm not going to give another chance. And by doing this I'm probably getting my fellow mods upset but I want to be as fair as possible.

So you're going to have to police it yourself. You can't say cluster * everyone knows what that means. You I suggest that you click on my signature link and actually read the guidelines.

It's almost impossible not to allow some speculation but it's only a phone. Keep that in mind, please.

Thanks Hook for being a little more fair! There has to be SOME speculation, or you will spend hours and hours moderating. Don't let the actions of a few ruin the other 600 of us who want information! :)

Anyways, yeah, I am on my third replacement OG and want the Tbolt to come out before I need another new one. I wish it was dual core and such, but am going to sacrifice that for getting the best phone now.

craigboy

Reaction score
I have a question about sense. Since I've only had a OG droid I'm used to stock Android, not a manufacturer's skin. What I'm wondering is when you root you don't lose sense do you? I'm also guessing that if you put something like CM7 on it you will lose sense correct?

jkhonea

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
www.oldesouthdesign.com
Thanks Hook for being a little more fair! There has to be SOME speculation, or you will spend hours and hours moderating. Don't let the actions of a few ruin the other 600 of us who want information! :)

Anyways, yeah, I am on my third replacement OG and want the Tbolt to come out before I need another new one. I wish it was dual core and such, but am going to sacrifice that for getting the best phone now.

I don't think you'll be missing out with a single core at this point. Going to take awhile before the programming and apps are optimized for dual core. The new single cores will be more than fast enough for the moment.