Thunderbolt: Apps that are safe to remove once rooted.

cnmsales

Reaction score
Credit to Cory Streater @ Android Central - Site link Thunderbolt: Apps that are safe to remove once rooted. - Android Forums

Please read carefully and proceed with caution

This list has been created based on my prior experiences with a variety of devices. I am very confident that the Verizon Bloatware, Live Wallpapers, and Widgets listed below can be safely renamed/moved. I am somewhat confident that the HTC apps can also be safely removed based on pervious experience with both the EVO and Incredible. That said, this is a new device with an updated version of Sense. If you do not want to be a test case, you should wait for others to confirm these apps are safe to remove. Do not throw stones at me if something goes wrong.

Before you begin:
  • Before you start making changes, I would strongly recommend backing up your device with a program like Titanium Backup (also in the market).
  • All of the files below are in /system/app.
  • The most popular file explorer for accessing and moving these files is called Root Explorer. When you navigate to the above directory, you will need to verify that the it says this in the upper right corner: Mount R/O. If it says: Mount R/W, push to toggle.
  • Instead of deleting files, I would recommend either:
    1. Renaming them from <filename.apk> to <filename.apk.old> For example, there's a file called Blockbuster_htc.apk in the system/app folder. If you long press on this file, in root explorer, you have the option of renaming it. Select this and add .old to the end. Once you do this, it will no longer show up in your app drawer and there will be no trace of it starting up with the OS.
    2. Alternatively, you could move these files to your SD card (this is what I do) if you don't want them eating up space in your system folder. But do not delete these files. Historically, on other phones, OTA updates have failed if the bloatware doesn't exist. The system folder had to be exactly the way it was when the phone shipped.
  • Before you rename or move an app in the /system/app folder, check the list below. If it is not listed, or you are unsure if it is safe to modify, please ask first. To be safe, I would only remove the apps listed below, until it is updated.
  • If an APK file also has an associated ODEX file, the ODEX can be renamed/moved also.
  • Do not remove any file starting with VzWBA (related to Verizon Backup Manager). Your TB will croak.
Verizon Bloat:
  • Kindle-OEM-1.1.1.90750089-20100927.apk
  • Blockbuster_htc.apk
  • CityID.apk (Apparently this app can also be uninstalled prior to root. See post #5 for more details.
  • VCast.apk
  • VzNav.apk
  • VZW_BitBop.apk
  • VZW_Golf.apk
  • VZW_Rhapsody.apk
  • VZW_RockBandStub.apk
  • VVM.apk
HTC Widgets:
  • com.htc.FMRadioWidget.apk
  • com.htc.FriendStreamWidget.apk
  • com.htc.MusicWidget.apk
  • com.htc.StockWidget.apk
  • com.htc.TwitterWidget.apk
  • com.htc.WeatherWidget.apk
  • HtcClockWidget.apk
  • htccontactwidgets.apk
  • htcmailwidgets.apk
  • HtcMimWidget.apk
  • HtcPhotoWidget.apk
  • HtcPowerStripWidget.apk
  • HtcProfileWidget.apk
  • HtcSyncwidget.apk
  • HtcScreenBrightnessWidget.apk
Wallpapers:
  • LiveWallpapers.apk
  • LiveWallpapersPicker.apk
  • MagicSmokeWallpapers.apk
  • Mode10Wallpapers.apk
  • VisualizationWallpapers.apk
HTC Apps:
  • appsharing.apk
  • calculator.apk
  • Flashlight.apk
  • Flickr.apk
  • GoogleQuickSearchBox.apk
  • HtcCarPanel.apk
  • HTCLocationPicker.apk
  • HTCSetupWizard.apk
  • HtcSoundRecorder.apk
  • HtcStreamPlayer.apk
  • HtcTwitter.apk
  • HTMLViewer.apk
  • QuickLookup.apk
  • Quickoffice.apk
  • SocialNetworkProvider.apk
  • Stock.apk
  • Street.apk
  • VoiceDialer.apk
  • VoiceSearch.apk
  • WidgetDwonloadManager.apk
  • WifiRouter.apk
Potentials (do not delete until confirmed):
  • AdobeReader.apk
  • Calculator.apk
  • HTCFMRadio.apk
Notes:
  • There will be others, I'm sure, but I won't be the first to try.
  • If there are additional apps that you have successfully renamed or moved, please post them in this thread.
Suggested alternatives for removed apps:
  • Instead of the built in browser use Dolphin HD.
  • Use Google Maps with Navigation instead of VZ Navigator.
  • Buy apps through the Amazon MP3 store instead of the VCast music app.
  • Convert movies using DVD Catalyst 3, then transfer to your SD card instead of using the VCast video app.
  • For file browsing try using Root Explorer.
  • Search AppBrain for a free caller ID - instead of the subscription based CityID app.
  • Instead of the Verizon IM client search AppBrain for an IM client app and/or stick to the built in Gtalk application.

sportadic22

Reaction score
what caller id app do you recommend. i loved city id that came on phone.. but trial is up in like 2 days.. i want the simplicity of that app.

Mustang02

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P/5X
Nice. I was working my way to getting rid of a lot of those. I noticed HTC likes widgets.

WifiRouter.apk - What does that one do?

OP
cnmsales

cnmsales

Reaction score
I use the stock ID app. Never had a need for anything more. What are the advantges/reasons for using something other then stock ID app?

pa9747

Reaction score
I moved slacker and rhapsody from system/app to my SD card. However the apps are still in my app drawer and work. What did I miss? The others I moved are gone as expected.

Sent from my ADR6400L using DroidForums App

sportadic22

Reaction score
I use the stock ID app. Never had a need for anything more. What are the advantges/reasons for using something other then stock ID app?

the one that came loaded on the phone?.... its a trail.. open it and look.. then like its a subscription a month..
where other apps are free or one time fee

Ad0131065

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
I moved slacker and rhapsody from system/app to my SD card. However the apps are still in my app drawer and work. What did I miss? The others I moved are gone as expected.

My guess is those are apps that can run from the sd card. Change the .apk extention on the name to .bak and your phone wont recognize them as apps.

pa9747

Reaction score
Thanks. I've tried renaming to .apk.old and they're still there.

OP
cnmsales

cnmsales

Reaction score
No the stock item as in the screen that comes up when you get a call. Maybe im confused and have no idea what the id app is supposed to do.

I would say wifirouter.apk has something to do with tethering up to 8 devices at a time.

sportadic22

Reaction score
anyone...am i allowed to post the link..to the XDA forum ..about the city caller id app?

dvation

Reaction score
I might have frozen an app I shouldn't have I'm starting to see random force closes on com.htc.bgp. Any suggestions? There seems to be a bunch of unrelated solutions out there.

OP
cnmsales

cnmsales

Reaction score
How did you FREEZE it? If you froze it you should be able to go back into the app and unfreeze it.