Thunderbolt: Apps that are safe to remove once rooted.

androidgeek

Reaction score
Anyone get better battery life after moving or renaming apps? Just curious if some of that ****ware is eating up juice. I wanna hold out on root until update to GB. I may cave under temptation, adb is ready to go.

Sent from my ADR6400L using DroidForums App

dvation

Reaction score
How did you FREEZE it? If you froze it you should be able to go back into the app and unfreeze it.

I froze the apps using titanium backup. The question is - which app do I unfreeze that's causing the FC?

OP
cnmsales

cnmsales

Reaction score
What error are you getting when it happens? I would google that process and see what its related to. Should be a good place to start.

dvation

Reaction score
It's random - it's popped up while I'm at the home screen or in an app. I'll have to unfreeze some apps and see what fixes it.

TheTyler0013

Reaction score
I think I am just going to wait till a ROM comes out without the Bloat. I dont want to mess much up.

Reaction score
Can I rename:

VzWBAClient.apk
VzWBAClient.odex
VzWBAService.apk

They are the Backup Client that comes with the phone, which I don't need as I use MyBackupPro.

Also, noticed the following:

NewBayVault_4.2.96.VZMarket.apk (looks like a VCast app)
Clicker.apk (icon of a hammer)

OP
cnmsales

cnmsales

Reaction score
I would NOT rename backup app. Ive read that REALLY fubars the system.

Raptor007

Reaction score
How much memory are we saving with the removal of bloatware? I'm going to do it, but since 5GB of space is missing from the 8GB touted (yes formatted space is less) but I had read the VZ Navigator app has the maps installed in there. Is this true, if so how do we get rid of them?

Reaction score
How much memory are we saving with the removal of bloatware? I'm going to do it, but since 5GB of space is missing from the 8GB touted (yes formatted space is less) but I had read the VZ Navigator app has the maps installed in there. Is this true, if so how do we get rid of them?

If the OP could put file sizes next to the bloat files, that would be cool.

The VZ Nav program is over 2.6 MB and considering that freakin' Golf game is over 130 MB, you almost have to believe it has some more files somewhere, unless it uses the Google Maps somehow?

jaskil1975

Reaction score
Is it ok to move these apks to the sd card then save the apks from the sd card to my desktop and completely remove then from my sd card? They will be saved on my desktop and I can add them back to the system/app if I need to with root explorer if need be correct? I would just mount the same way I took them off with correct. I'm only asking because that's how I did it with my og droid and it was ok.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Is it ok to move these apks to the sd card then save the apks from the sd card to my desktop and completely remove then from my sd card? They will be saved on my desktop and I can add them back to the system/app if I need to with root explorer if need be correct? I would just mount the same way I took them off with correct. I'm only asking because that's how I did it with my og droid and it was ok.

I'm not an expert, but as long as you don't modify the files once on your PC, you should be fine if you need to move them back to the SD card and then onto the phone's internal memory.

wormdoes

Reaction score
I'm a long time member at Android Forums and XDA and was looking for a list of safe apps to remove to see if I missed any and stumbled upon this thread. I created an account here just to post that you can safely remove any and all traces of VZW Backup Assistant. I have removed them and my phone is perfectly fine. Not sure where the OP heard that it will FUBAR your device, but better safe than sorry I guess. Also, I would make a backup before removing just in case as YMMV

-Worm

Reaction score
(snip) Also, I would make a backup before removing just in case as YMMV

-Worm

+1

I usually rename the file(s) and add a ".old" to the end first. After a day of phone use and a reboot, I then move it to my SD card. Someday I will probably move the files to my PC and NAS drive.

tu3218

Reaction score
Well I feel dumb, on my OG droid to get rid of system apps, I would just delete them through root explorer. So that's what I decided to do for the Blockbuster app but after reading this I see it can cause problems later on with OTA updates. Weird thing is, is that I even after deleting the .apk, I still have the Blockbuster app in my app drawer and I can still use it. Any suggestions with on putting it back in system/app or should I be okay?