[HOW TO] Remove bloatware

delicious d

Reaction score
i tryed to instalall the moto bloat remover from remover but on boot its saying it did not pass signature and aborted, i also tryed root explorer but i cant find the 3g hotspot verizon wifi one for nothing even made a search still no luck i know it has a different name but it wont find it,,,,,,i cant remove the verizon 3g hot spot which is stopping me from using the wireless tether everytime i enable it it takes me to the verizon website to use the verizon app very frustrating.....please help

pego99

Reaction score
i tryed to instalall the moto bloat remover from remover but on boot its saying it did not pass signature and aborted, i also tryed root explorer but i cant find the 3g hotspot verizon wifi one for nothing even made a search still no luck i know it has a different name but it wont find it,,,,,,i cant remove the verizon 3g hot spot which is stopping me from using the wireless tether everytime i enable it it takes me to the verizon website to use the verizon app very frustrating.....please help

"Moto bloat remover from remover" what does that mean?

delicious d

Reaction score
let me try again, downloaded the zip but when i try to flash it i get a message that states signature failed....when using root explorer i cant find the fil for the 3g hotspot from verizon to erase......or from titanium....mynet.apk does not exist.......

jerbear1978

Reaction score
how do i sync my apps?

I went the easy way and purchased the Root Explorer, it's $3.99 by the way. After renaming the apps that i wanted hidden, I was unable to figure out how to sync apps. I restarted pnone but apps were still in app drawer. I literally just signed up for this forum today, so I am super new. Any help would be appreciated.
Once your Droid X is rooted, you can start to remove some of the crap Verizon and Motorola decided to make a quick buck off of. You'll need to have ADB or a terminal emulator (I suggest Better Terminal) from the market. You should be at least a little familiar from rooting.

Before I go on, I want to note a few things. READ THIS:
1) The method we are using here is RENAMING the files. That way, if you decide you want an app back, you can rename the file back to it's original name.
2) If you're not sure what an app is or what it does, don't touch it! Several people have changed a file they weren't sure about and it affected the phone in some way they didn't realize.
3) Further, understand that removing some apps will break functionality in others. They interact in ways you can't predict. If you have a problem, rename the file back.
4) Don't touch BackupAssistantClient.apk. Apparently it can cause a huge disaster when doing a system recovery. Leave it alone.

The Easy Way
If you don't mind paying (I think it's $1.99) for Root Explorer, get it from the Android Market. Open it.
- Press the Mount r/w button first
- Click the system folder
- Click the app folder
- You should now see /system/app at the top of the screen
- Long press on the app you want to rename, then change .apk to .bak

The Free Way
If you're using ADB (and remember, you're not asking in this thread what that means), with your Droid X plugged in, open a command prompt on your computer and type:
adb shell

Now, in either ADB or terminal, type (Thanks biggestmexi):
su
mount -o remount,rw -t yaffs2 /dev/block/mtdblock3 /system

You're now ready to start removing/moving the apps you don't want. To get a list:
cd /system/app
ls

You'll notice most look more or less like the names you see in the app drawer. Pick out the ones you don't want and use the command below to rename them (we're renaming instead of deleting so you can rename them back if you break something). If you're not sure what something is, I'd recommend NOT renaming it. Renaming the CityID, for example:
mv CityID.apk CityID.bak

CityID.apk is, obviously, the name of the app. After renaming it to .bak, Android won't recognize it as an app. After you're finished, update the list of apps Android sees:
sync

What file should I rename?

Did you delete something?
You can download all of the apks from /system/app here:
http://www.hawkeye411.com/droidx/systemapp.zip
lens1250999_tigerhawk.jpeg
!

Or here:
Droid X System Dump for those who deleted apps without backing up

Ph0t0n

Reaction score
When I first bought the droid 2 I was SOOOOOOOOO pissed about the *$&#^$&*@ing bloatware that I didn't have permission to delete! I sent a letter to Verizon's CEO. Then I got pissed about the constant crashing, the broken wifi, flaky bluetooth, and the fact that everything was so slow compared to the iPhones that my friends had.

Then I discovered CM7... ahhhhh... like a tall glass of ice cold lemonade on a hot day in July.