[HOW TO] Remove bloatware

tonyg729

Reaction score
someone help please. Im stuck in the rooting process. I download successfully z4 root and bout droid x bootstrap. im stuck in a black screen with green highlighs. reboot system now-apply sd card:update. zip and so forth

MonKENy

Reaction score
Hey, could anyone please tell me if Titanium Backup (free version) also supports freezing the apps? If not, and if I buy the pro version, do I also need to install the free version to make it work? Thanks.

No it cant, It only does a back up. You DL the free version first and then buy the pro version.

someone help please. Im stuck in the rooting process. I download successfully z4 root and bout droid x bootstrap. im stuck in a black screen with green highlighs. reboot system now-apply sd card:update. zip and so forth

Use the volume buttons to navigate up and down, the camera button is enter and the power button goes back.

Navigate down to backup/restore and press the camera button, then go to backup and press the camera Button

see this thread for more info

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/dr...ide-root-backup-roms-2-2-ota.html#post1207029

koralyne

Reaction score
ive got an issue (ish?)

Some of the apps ive got in my list arent spelled the same way as the OP.

like, the car dock app? mine lists as CarHomeGoogle.apk and CarHomeLauncher.apk.

Is there anybody who can take a look at the list of APKs i have and tell me what each of them do, so i can know if i can deactivate them or not?

PM me, if you can help! thanks!

bvjens31

Reaction score
My Results on Droid 2 Global

I realize I'm posting this in a Droid X forum, but it definitely helped me and got me going on my new Droid 2 Global, so I'll post here anyways. I have rooted with z4root, and I got ADB up and running on my laptop. I didn't want to load a custom ROM, as they caused some instability issues with my old D1. So I figure if I can just remove as much bloatware as possible and start with a vanilla stock ROM, that I'd be gtg. I must say that the ADB method for renaming apk's is so slick and easy it's not even funny. Long story short, here are the apk's I was able to rename to .bak without my phone getting jacked up at all:

AdService.bak
AdminFeedNotifier.bak
AudioEffectSettings.bak
Blockbuster.bak
BlurEmail.bak
Browser.bak
CarDock.bak
CityID.bak
ClockWidget.bak
DLNA.bak
DlnaSystemService.bak
FileManager.bak
FriendFeed.bak
HelpCenter.bak
HomeSyncWizard.bak
Kindle-1_0_2-OEM-SingleSign_Signed_2010-09-20_17-31-57.bak
LiveWallpapers.bak
LiveWallpapersPicker.bak
MediaSync.bak
MessagesWidget.bak
Messaging.bak
MyVerizon.bak
Mynet.bak
NewsWidget.bak
PhotoWidget.bak
Skype_mobile.live.bak
SocialMessaging.bak
SocialShare.bak
SoundRecorder.bak
StatusWidget.bak
StickyNoteWidget.bak
Stk.bak
VpnClient.bak
VpnServices.bak
Vvm.bak
WeatherWidget.bak
WorkContacts.bak
WorldClockWidget.bak
YahooContacts.bak
ZoomService.bak
amazonmp3_1_8_14_signed_zipaligned_Signed_2010-09-09_15-23-51.bak
vnav_6.1.0.160_Droid2Global_rel_PROD_signed.bak

A nice side-note here, is that while you're in the /system/app directory, you can refine your search by typing in various things after "ls". For example,
Code:
ls *.apk
will only list the apk files in that directory, making it easier for you to find just what you're looking for. Also,
Code:
ls *.bak
will show you what you've already renamed so you can flip them back to apk when needed. Want to see just the widgets you've got installed currently, type in:
Code:
ls *Widget*.apk
It's very basic linux stuff, but some people will not know these kinds of things. You can also copy content out of your command prompt (as long as Quick Edit mode is enabled in the Properties of Command Prompt) and copy any output from ADB and paste it in a text file for easy reference later. That way you don't have to get all the way back in ADB to see your list of bak'd programs.

Another side-note that drove me bonkers until I figured it out. I bak'd the stock Messaging.apk before I turned off its notifications. So I would get 2 text notifications, one from stock, and one from Handcent. And since Messaging was uninstalled, I had to name it back to apk, go turn off notifs, and then bak it again. So just a heads-up to anyone else that runs into the same problem, although most people in this thread probably have more common sense than I.

Cheers!

r1nstang

Reaction score
need some quick help. had a Droid 1 just got the droid X yesterday. rooted and running chevys X rom. when I go to the system/app folder I cant change the R/W to R/O. I can change it on other folders but not system. SU gave permission to root explorer but not sure why I cant get R/W to change for system folder. any ideas?

imp3r10

Reaction score
Would using Titanium Backup to freeze these apps have the same effect?

gregro

Reaction score
Battery draining faster than before I removed bloatware. Got the phone rooted using Z4root and renamed the bloatapps with Root Explorer. Can you see where removing any of the bloat is causing the battery to drain faster than it should? Here's a list of the bloat [apps] I renamed:

amazonmp3_1.8.11_zipaligned
Blockbuster
Cardock
CityIDcom.vznavigator.DROIDX
FriendFeed
HomeSyncWizard
Madden
MediaSync
MyVerizon
redding-7648-signed-zipped
Skype_mobile.live
SocialMessaging
SocialShare
YouTube

I left all the odex files as is and I've rebooted a few times. Haven't used the phone long enough since I removed the crap to know if it's faster but it gives me great pleasure to defy the corporate pigs :)
Running Launcher Pro right now- no custom roms yet. First time I've rooted a phone so this is all new territory.

chkmate

Silver Member
Reaction score
Battery draining faster than before I removed bloatware. Got the phone rooted using Z4root and renamed the bloatapps with Root Explorer. Can you see where removing any of the bloat is causing the battery to drain faster than it should? Here's a list of the bloat [apps] I renamed:

amazonmp3_1.8.11_zipaligned
Blockbuster
Cardock
CityIDcom.vznavigator.DROIDX
FriendFeed
HomeSyncWizard
Madden
MediaSync
MyVerizon
redding-7648-signed-zipped
Skype_mobile.live
SocialMessaging
SocialShare
YouTube

I left all the odex files as is and I've rebooted a few times. Haven't used the phone long enough since I removed the crap to know if it's faster but it gives me great pleasure to defy the corporate pigs :)
Running Launcher Pro right now- no custom roms yet. First time I've rooted a phone so this is all new territory.

All those apps look fine to rename and shouldn't cause any battery drain.

Have you ever wiped your battery stats? If not and you want too, try the following>>>

-Charge phone over night so you get it completely charged

-Right after you unplug it, run Droid X Bootstrapper

-Select Reboot Recovery and boot into Clockwork

-When your in Clockwork scroll down to "advanced" (using volume keys) and select advanced (with camera key)

-Then select 3rd option down "clear battery stats."

-After its done select "reboot phone now." If you don't see that option hit power button to back up a screen.

everwerever

Reaction score
hello guys i read the thread and succesfully tried then after trying and failing to theme my phone i had to restore it(with clockwork) and now i can't do it anymore i tried root explorer and i can't get the MountR/W button to work anymore also tried Terminal emulator and they both give me the read only warning. is there anything else i can do or am i forgetting something?
Thanks

sabroso

Reaction score
Hi folks, I'm a noob in android & DroidX,
But why not use one of the new free uninstaller (the ones that need root access).
I read this topic and realize there are a "safe" list of bloatware for uninstall.
I use that reference to only backup to SD and uninstall those apps (the uninstaller software do both things automatically). I free like 50mb of ram of apps useless out of USA and out of Verizon.
The only issue is that if you want the uninstaller automatically restore of backuped apps you need to buy the pro version, but I haven't need to restore nothing yet.
ALSO battery life is the same no improve or decrease at all.
Best Regards Sabroso

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App

Rocko

Reaction score
Hi folks, I'm a noob ij andoid and DroidX,
But why not use one of the new uninstaller (the ones that need root access). I read this topic and realize there are a list for safe bloatware uninstalled which are the only apps I backup to SD and uninstall (the uninstaller do it both things automatically). I free like 50mb of ram of apps useless out of USA and out of Verizon.
The only issue is that the uninstaller is free and automatic restore of backuped apps you need to buy the pro version, but I haven't need to restore nothing yet.
ALSO battery life is the same no improve or decrease at all.
Best Regards Sabroso

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App

Too much hassle. Titanium freeze them or rename. Then undo that when the next OTA update comes out.

sabroso

Reaction score
Too much hassle. Titanium freeze them or rename. Then undo that when the next OTA update comes out.
Hi Rocko,
I agree with you that IF you bought TITANIUM BACKUP is the same to use the Freeze method. I guess there are a lot of apps that make basically the same: freeze or backup or change name or uninstall. Some are free some not.