[HOW TO] Remove bloatware

Reaction score
Hey guys, Linuxfag here, and I just did

ls *.apk > /sdcard/applist.txt

then I switched the phone over to Mass Storage and opened it up in Notepad and .... wait for it ... it's all on one line because it's in Linux Format. Any programs on the Windows side to easily convert? Or is there a utility on the DROID X that will do that?

I'm super excited cos I'm very comfortable in Linux but I assume the system running on the DROID X is very limited and not much like what I'm used to, which is RedHat, Solaris, and Ubuntu.
you want a program to convert from linux to windows text files? unix2dos will do that. i think it's still included in windows, although i haven't used windows in over a decade, so not sure, but if not, you can find it easily on internet

THAT'S the program I was trying to think of! Looks like it's definitely not built into my Windows box, I think that's a linux command anyway, I'd wager it's not built into Android 2.2 either! I wonder which side it would be easier to install on? :p

ColinZack

Reaction score
So I rooted today using z4root, and then got root explorer to remove some of the bloatware. I took off a fair amount of things:

(Amazon, Blockbuster, Car Dock, CityID, Mynet, News Widget, Skype, Messaging, Browser, Help Center, VZW navigator, Genie Widget (news and weather), My Verizon, Ad Service, Clock Widget, Cmas, Conversations, Friend feed (social networking), Messages Widget, Photo Widget, Quick contact widget, Redding (Kindle), Social messaging, Social share, Status widget, Stick note widget, Universal inbox, blur email)

but for some reason every so often when I turn the screen on and unlock the phone, it decides to restart. Its happened about 3 times tonight, and its not a huge deal but I am a bit annoyed. Does anyone know why this might be happening?

ColinZack

Reaction score
Also, for some reason the lights on the hard buttons stay on when the screen turns off. It also seems like with Handcent that the notifications and vibration to signal the incoming text are now later, as in I can see the text message and then it vibrates and shows up in the notification bar.

pego99

Reaction score
What's the big deal about disabling 6-8 apps?

Seems like a lot of work for what gain! We have 24gig of free memory. What's the big deal about "bloatware"?

Cirnoskire

Reaction score
Looks like you removed a few things you shouldn't have. Some apps are also system files. Found that mistake when I uninstalled gtalk and messed up market.

Sent from my Ally using DroidForums App

pego99

Reaction score
Reaction score
8 plus 16 equals 24 on my calculator.

And where are you getting the 8 and the 16?

The Droid X has 8GB of system memory and 16GB on the 16GB on the micro SD card that came with my phone. Right now my phone with all the bloatware not removed has 6.09GB internal phone storage and 14.43GB of sd card storage.

I would call the 8GB "memory" and I would call the 16 GB "storage" but that's just me.

Access to internal memory is probably at least one order of magnitude faster than access to the storage.

nycebo

Reaction score
Seems like a lot of work for what gain! We have 24gig of free memory. What's the big deal about "bloatware"?

It makes a HUGE difference in performance. I removed many of the bloated apps and the DX just runs so much smoother. Plus, it starts up faster. I'd get rid of even more apk's except I don't know what all of them do.

rharv3

Reaction score
This was so much help! It showed me how easy rooting and "removing" unwanted apps is. Thanks for all the time and efforts!

I named my droid XL because I love him that much!!!

manfromnc

Reaction score
Just a note...after going through all the steps recommended above..I found out...Titanium B/U has an app "Freeze" and "Unfreeze function....much simpler!!...

jkm2282

Reaction score
Hey, could anyone please tell me if Titanium Backup (free version) also supports freezing the apps? If not, and if I buy the pro version, do I also need to install the free version to make it work? Thanks.