[HOW TO] Remove bloatware

Discussion in 'Droid X Hacks' started by qoncept, Jul 22, 2010.

1. droidNEWB101

droidNEWB101 New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    dancedroidFirst I want to say thanks to the forum for all the help I've been able to get from reading hours of postings .. I bought my droid x from someone on craigslist who had it rooted... I had NO clue what i was doing and wanted to get the 2.2 update .. well after tons of reading .. i was able to flash with the sbk back to 2.1 stock and then upgrade and i thought ... well i might was well root it myself 1. to learn something new 2. to get rid of all the crap that was on it since I had flashed it .. I dont understand why people want to delete so much .. I mean I understand some of the things are just annoying .. but some people delete (Rather than Rename or Move) then, they freak out because it messed up their phone b/c lack of research to see that something they rid of resulted in a glitch or something stopped working .. really I dont see much need to rid of more than the things that have been verified to not screw up your phone ..

Once again though , thanks to all the posts I've read .. I did have a question about overclocking though ... is it really worth it? Im going to check the rest of the forums to see if I can find some answers :) Thanks!dancedroid

2. Zael

Zael New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Updates for 2.2

Hey I have done the OTA for 2.2 and was wondering how 2.1 differs from 2.2 as far as bloatware removal goes. I have removed both the apk and odex file for Mynet and that seems to have removed the Verizon 3G app. Will it cause any reboot problems though? Did I need to rename the odex file or was just the apk sufficient.

Thanks for all the help.

3. droidNEWB101

droidNEWB101 New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I just renamed the apk files and left the odex files be and the things I wanted to go away did.. I just used the root program on my phone to rename...and no the 3g doesn't negatively affect your phone

4. NR6Q

NR6Q New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Working on removing bloatware. The following were suggested but I am not sure what they are. I am assuming that Vvm may have something to do with Verizon Voice Mail.

WorkContacts may have something to do with exchange server app.

Can anyone clarify?

Vvm.apk
    WorkContacts.apk

Thanks,

gg

5. unept96

unept96 New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks StayWide8, I have been searching for hours now to find out how Kindle named their apk. All you had to say was "redding"!

6. crcpeach

crcpeach New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks!

I can't thank you guys enough :) I've been a long-time WinMo user - hacked to my heart's delight - but new to the Android community. I absolutely LOVE my Droid X, and you have helped me to make it MINE.

7. Schlitzy

Schlitzy New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Hey guys, could someone please chime in here? I'm actually interested if this is true and will work without busting the OTA updates, as all I would like to do at this point is be able to rename some of the bloating apps and services to free up my memory without going through the rooting method.... for now >:)

8. tony1208

tony1208 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    whats social networking under i cant find it

9. j00fek

j00fek New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    thanks for the write up!

dancedroid

10. mjsplicer78

mjsplicer78 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    has anyone found the apk for VZW Navigator? Will it cause any issues if removed?

11. Johnnysyeah

Johnnysyeah Member

Ratings:
    +0
    These bloatware that I'm reading of in this topic, is it safe to actually delete them?
    I've been renaming them but I figure I could use the space for other applications.

EDIT:
    I've been trying to access my phone to do some manual application editing, but I get this error when I try to get in the shell.

C:\Android2\tools>adb devices
    List of devices attached
    015A97091200E008 offline

My phone has USB debugging mode on, Charge only mode set, and is plugged into my computer.

12. uberbdon

uberbdon Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I'm wondering the same thing.

Search tags for this page
bloatware droid x
droid x bloatware removal

droid x remove bloatware

file extension apkx
how to remove bloatware droid x

how to remove verizon bloatware